[Suggestion] Shotguns are unviable since Beta Update (2012/10/18)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Riceaxe, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Riceaxe

Its simple.
    All Shotguns suck since 10.18.2012.
    Back then, Shotguns were nerfed because Infiltrators were able to use shotguns and could fire while cloaked.

Extract of the Patchnotes:
    Top Player Bugs Resolved:

• Frame rate shouldn't affect fire rate
    • Infiltrators should not be able to fire while cloaked
    Weapons:

• All shotgun damage and range has been reduced
    • TR shotgun rate of fire is a little slower, but it is still the fastest shotgun
    • Projectile drop was slightly increase

Right now there is no reason to use shotguns at all, the spread is so big, that shotguns are unreliable due to pellets not hitting even if the enemy is standing right before you.
    It takes 2 point blank headshots with all pellets hitting the head to kill a player.
    Shotguns are outperformed at close range by Assault Rifles, Carabines and LMG´s.
    The Jackhammer is considered the worst HA exclusive Heavy Weapon.
    Shotguns right now need 4-8 bodyshots depending on distance which is the half - 3/4 - full magazine size.

My Suggestion would be to revert the Damage and Range nerf or at least increase the magazine size of all shotguns by 2-4.
    Regarding the Jackhammer my suggestion would be to double its magazine size and increase its rate of fire.
    • Up x 1
  2. JesNC

It only takes 1 headshot or 2 bodyshots to kill at point blank, or 2 headshots/ 3 bodyshots at range with slugs.

The shotgun is my favourite weapon when playing LA, no matter the ammo type. I find the TTK is vastly superior to carbines, only balanced by the small ammo pool. And I'm using the slow-firing semi-auto.

I agree about the JH being in a bad spot atm, but IMO it just needs either a larger magazine or a tighter spread.
  3. Oriius

I use the pandora auto shotgun quite often, I do sometimes feel it's damage is maybe a little lower than I'd like for it's very limited ammo pool (pandora having the least ammo of all the factions shotguns, with 6 in the gun and a pool of 24)

I think the range nerf could stay as long as the damage was put up a little, maybe add another mag's worth of ammo to all shotguns too, but the ammo thing isn't such a big deal.
  4. gunshooter

You're completely and utterly wrong, and worse, you think you're speaking for everyone.
    • Up x 2
  5. Nemesia

Is a joke isnt it?

is a joke isnt it?

Really... I have a 3:1 K/D ratio with a light assault equiped with a shootgun, if the spread is so big, just aproach enought to your target and just hit two times the shotgun in his head... Enjoy
  6. Thagyr

And yet strangely enough the Shotguns on NC MAXes work like infantry lawnmowers.
    • Up x 1
  7. Lucidius134

No.
  8. Xiphos

Shotguns are completely viable indoors. They're great actually until about 10m. That's the price for being able to kill somebody in two body shots though.

Now the Jackhammer that's a bad shotgun. Single fire mode is 27% weaker than regular shotguns, the burst fire mode has uncontrollable recoil and is less effective than auto shotguns, at least that's my experience. To make things worse, the magazine holds only 6 shots, despite the Jackhammer doing less damage per shot and burst fire mode being very ammo inefficient.
  9. QuantumMechanic

I love the TR semi-auto shotgun. I purchased it on sale after release - I never had the certs during beta to try shotguns.

I will say though, at close range it's devastating and if you equip it with slugs and a mid-range sight you can essentially snipe with it.

No complaints here about shotguns.
  10. Hydragarium

Coming from someone who claims to have the "best stream ever", that is a bit of an asinine remark.
  11. quicKsanD

I use the sweeper all the time right now and I have to say it is good. I would like it to have a slight range buff but other than that I think most shotguns are fine. That being said the I'd like to see a buff to the Jackhammer.
  12. MayorD

errr. question. why the hell do i need more hits with slug ammo on distance, than in close fight? Im not VS, my steel shouldnt lose damage power by range. NOT by shotgun range. My best shots are 5 hits with slug on like 20 m distance, to kill a guy. wth? and Jackhammer, it needs like 3 body shots to kill someone in close fight. Also close fight is.. stick JH in someone a... face and still need 3 shots...
  13. K-On

To many people using shotguns as it is, since the 3x SC. Everyone is using shotgun :|, Few days back I hardly ever fight anyone with it. Maybe 4-8 times for the day now it's like 20+ even on my own team. Not that I have a problem with it but uh.. when your CQC person and everyone just so happen to be using shotguns when u CQC now is kinda annoying :|. You saying no reason to use at all but every person now is using it, you're just bad if you can't use it as it is. 3 shot kill you wanan buff that ? please uninstall.
  14. Hodo

So true. The shotty is by far the best TTK gun aside from sniper rifles.
  15. JesNC

By range I mean 50m upwards. I regularly 2-hit people at sniper ranges with the Sweeper and slug ammo.

But even with buckshot, you need to aim to get most pellets on target.
  16. Linedan

I have the Piston. I'm not very good with it because I can't hit squat with it, but when I do hit with it, stuff dies.

The irony is, I bought the auto shotgun, but I always use it semi-auto, especially when "sniping' with it. Piston + extended mag + foregrip + 4x sight + slug = better at medium range than a battle rifle IMO, because it hits much harder.
  17. Talizzar

Love the Shotty! It is fine.
  18. MayorD

i understand the system with normal shotgun ammo. on the range the pellets spread and only part of them hit the target. so, theres low damage. But slug ammo is like bullet, theres only one projectile. thats why you can miss in close fight and can use shotgun to snipe. but how the hell you need 2 hits with slug on close range and 3 hits on mid range? and like i said.. 5 hits by me. ok, happened only once, but how the hell?
    got sweeper, mauler and Jackhammer.. only mauler is more or less useful.

you can use ext. magazine and foregrip on same time? rly?
  19. JesNC

Damage degradation over range due to loss of momentum and/or air friction if you need a RL explanation. It's on nearly all weapons, but on VS guns the most.
  20. MayorD

like i said before.. we're talking about shotgun ranges. so you want to tell theres so high damage lose by 20 meters? im not talking about 500 m sniping, just 20 m!