Aircraft And AA balance Is Way Off

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sahara6, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Xiphos

Dedicated AA is a joke except for dual burster MAXes and A2A missiles. The funny thing is an ESF with rocket pods can kill a MAX faster than the MAX can kill the ESF. The only reason MAXes are effective is because the ESF cannot easily spot them.
    • Up x 3
  2. hellin

All problem in that ground AIR DEFENCE is created just for frighten Aviation... And Aviation it knows and not on a gramme is not afraid. I would say everything appropriate. If a threat is not given. Logic which not to understand developers. Weapon for frightening it is possible to use only in life... because more once to die will nobody.
  3. LonelyAirman

I agree that AA should do much more damage. Let's take the RL example. Most aircraft since the Second World War have been relatively unarmoured against attack, using stealth, speed, cunning or sheer firepower to avoid anti-aircraft. SAMs like the Annihilator would almost certainly at least disable the engines of a Reaver or Mosquito. The Scythe looks like it's make out of paper, so it would probably burn. Similarly, flak can blow giant holes in modern aircraft. What the hell are they building ESFs and Liberators out of that can wick up damage while still containing all that sensitive flying equipment? The amount of flak that hits an ESF and it flies off to repair is galling; it should be in pieces and the pilot a pincushion.

One solution could be - I hate to say it - stolen from BF3. The aircraft in BF3 actually have slightly worse performance with 'ENG RPM' warnings when they get battered. This mechanic could be copied over to aircraft, and their engines could lose performance/maneuvering power when blown all to heck. That would give flak more of a chance. I think fire should start sooner on the damage scale, too.
  4. DukeFlash

I'm sick of people using the 3-man justification for Libs, it only needs 2 to man effectively, the fact that it can hold 3 is a nice perk.
    It's all about the belly gun, where that gunner can quickly switch to tail gun if he really needs, which is rarely needed.
  5. Dazamin

Be happy with your allotted role of 'deterrent'. Only Air is allowed to kill other Air. SOE Balance :rolleyes:
  6. Aerius

You can be spawn camped by an M40'd Flash coming out of the spawn room. That's a horrible argument to use for balance.

How bad are yours? I've fired my Photon Pods at a distance and then watched them with my Hailstorm's 1.5 zoom, they do a pretty little spiral and end up hitting way off the point I aimed at and 1 will be a few inches higher up than the other lol
  7. Limabean

Would love to see some system added that took two people to operate. One uses a laser to mark (infil) or use a utiltiy slot. The HA could use a laser guided rocket. Or maybe let maxes carry them on their shoulders. This could target any vehicle.
  8. Xae

The real question is how bad do you have to be to get spawn camped by a damn ATV.

But still think you're a ~~~Sky Goddzz~~~~
  9. LittleBlackRainCloud

No the problem isn't balance.

the problem's are ~

1) Aircraft aren't fun to fly, I've played good air sims they're a blast!
    2) Forcing players through pain to buy in game products like anti air isn't F2P.
    3) AA is unrewarding, very few certs for your investment of both time and money.
    4) The combat exchange between air and everything else isn't skill based it's not FUN it's rock / paper / scissors RANDOM IS NOT FUN.
    5) Most players DO NOT LIKE flying, or you would see a lot more aircraft. this isn't an anomoly or lazy interest.
    6) The time investment in learning to fly is too steep, no one wants easy what people want is rewarding~ Learning to fly so you can purchase in game products so you can "derp" gotcha isn't mentally challenging, it's stupifyingly dull.

the fix is this ~ Fix the terrible rewards for flying and AA, when I jump into an aircraft I want the same rewards for strategy as I have on the ground. This isn't about realism or game logic, this is about enjoyment. There is no strategy to air combat. Heck there is little strategy to this game at all but because the air vs ground combat is so easily visibly terrible we recognize the lack of player input to game function even moreso.
  10. Conq

Can't wait for the devs get to back from holiday and fix this ****. The game was much better balanced in beta.

I just can't play it right now, it's boring.
  11. Rothnang

The reason why single AA units can't kill aircraft quickly is because of combat scaling. Aircraft can't do anything to limit the scale of the engagement they are in, they always have to eat all the AA fire arrayed against the in the area, no matter what. They have no cover to rely on to mitigate the amount of incoming fire.

I don't think pilots would have an issue with AA being more deadly, if it wasn't a situation like this right now where you simply can't avoid AA at all unless you stay outside of its HUGE range. AA fire is also pretty much impossible to dodge unless you're in a fighter. Liberators and Galaxies pretty much can't evade it at all.
  12. PoisonedAl

Max AA: Fine. A good mix of skill and power.

Skyguard: Projectiles need to be faster and last longer. The lead you have to put on them is ridiculous atm.

Air-to-air fighters: There needs to be a cheaper air to air weapon. Right now air-to-air is pretty much pay to win unless you put a LOT of hours into the game.

Heavy's rockets: Aircraft get away from these far too easily. Hell, I don't even have to move my liberator if I'm high enough. I know lock ons from the ground won't hit and will tickle if they do.

Walker: ****ing ANYTHING! I have better luck using bulldogs as anti-air. Do anything because you can't do any worse!
  13. Endlos

I've more-or-less given up on the ground game and started learning to fly better. Just last night, my buddy and I went on alternating lib-runs. Capped the night off with the perfect demonstration of how bloody broken G2A balance is. Those poor, poor NC and their AMS. They even had 3 (three!) burster maxes guarding it, and at least one HA was trying to lock rockets onto us. If the rockets hit us we'd have to land and repair. The maxes we could just ignore because they could barely hit us at 200kph.

I will admit, I was flying first, and we lost my lib. But that was because we landed to repair at half health, and I (mistakenly) parked on a .05-degree incline, which caused the lib to slide until its wing hit a tree, at which point the two became attached on a molecular level and the lib flung itself around until it exploded. Off-topic, but please fire every developer that worked on your physics engine.

Our libs don't have any fancy armor or kit beyond a Zeph that came in a vehicle pack and we just kept doing full-speed flybys on the bus until all the maxes and most of the people were dead, then we hovered and killed the bus.

Under no circumstance should my buddy and I have been laughing in vent over how we just took a dump on 4 people all trying their damnedest to kill us with the only so-called-AA weapons SOE bothered to give infantry (and the countless people just trying to run away) and then broke their bus. It was a double-exp bonanza.
  14. Rothnang

Burster MAXes are completely broken because they can shoot at things that can't render them at all. That's just idiotic, no unit should be defined by being able to abuse the hell out of a technical limitation of the game.
  15. Slyguy65

G2A missiles need to make the vehicle on fire when they hit...forcing either eject, emergency land and repair or something...

AA MAX gun needs to do more damage against default ESF's since most of them are just little punks who spent 7 bucks on rocket pods...they should be able to get destroyed by half a clip of burster ammo.

2 certs into composite should make it so it takes a whole clip of burster to kill....

That or DRASTICALLY reduce the price of second burster...1k certs or 7 bucks is just insane...it needs to be either 100 certs and 250 SC
  16. smokemaker

lol

topics been beat to death
    patch i guess in january
    lets see where the pieces land
  17. Arcunas

Seriously?, its a team game not a solo game, if the enemy has air superiority get your side to come with a2a aircraft.
    If you are camped in the spawnroom you have allready lost the Point, go and regroup.

3 Maxes will force anny liberator away even kill it (if they can shoot that is) it dosent take much to shoot down fighters (again if the AA can shoot)
    Skyguard, yes it needs a slight buff.
  18. Mietz

You do not "deter" an airzerg.
    You do not "stop" an airzerg.
    You do not strategically outwit an airzerg.
    And you most certainly do not end an airzerg.
  19. Dasmasterneko

I spent hours in a one handed burster max defending the backside of the crown. I was not alone there was always at least 2 sometimes 4 more maxes (with double bursters), skyguards and the anti air turrets. We had engineer support so infinite ammo and repair.

This is how it panned out. There was always at least 3 libs circling around us and waves of 5 to 7 mosquitoes and the occasional scythe attacking us. After HOURS of shooting we had downed about 10-20 combined... I know because i got assists. They just made a strafe run and then back and repaired. The libs kept well above and bombarded us.

Now here is the funny thing. The draw distance was too short to reliably shoot down a mossy flying at you before it got away.

Anti air right now does not work as a deterrent OR effective counter. Just a mild annoyance to the pilots.
  20. Brandmon

No.

As an A2A ESF you are 90% of the time at altitudes higher than 500m and going at a fast speed. At that stance, you are immune to AA. If you are doing otherwise, you are doing it wrong.