Could this card run Planetside?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by elgato, Dec 25, 2012.

1. elgato

Is this graphics card able to run planetside 2?
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M 1GB with NVIDIA Optimus Technology
  2. Blitzer

• Up x 1
  3. Lancener

It may despite that chart of GPUs, my card is a GT 520 and I can still run it, not too well but enough for it to be playable. There's a chance you can run it, chance you can't, and a chance that if you can run it you'll be getting around 10-20 FPS.
  4. StrangerDanger

like how he threw in "*with NVIDIA Optimus Technology" as if that would change anything.
  5. elgato

I saw on steam that the minimum requirments were a nVidia GeForce 8600 series or higher. I don't know if the NVIDIA GeForce GT 635M is "higher or not."
  6. Alexlightning7

Dont even get me thinking about that.
    I have a 7690m XT (aka 6770m) overclocked to 825 core and 875 memory
    I am running ultra settings(.ini file) with 35-45 fps at all times when not CPU bottlenecked.
    my res is 1366x768. 1080p and I get 20-25 on the same settings.

It is more then enough.
    My card is roughly equivelent ot a 640m at stock.
    His card is almost exactly the same as a 640m.
    He should run it fine high with shadows on low(at 1366x768), especially if he decides to overclock.

SOE seriously miscalculated that list. The really, really need to update it.

This game is playable on an intel HD 3000(I have a video if you absolutally want proof).
    He will run it fine, especially if he doesn't want to play ultra settings.
    Now whether the CPU that comes with that card is up to the task is definitly up to debate.
  7. DeviousPenguin

Don't mean to hijack/revive this thread. But could you go over the settings used? I have an 8600M GT and have given up trying to play. I can get 30-40 fps when nothing's happening, but fights drop me to 10-20 (barely playable) and that is only small/medium battles (larger battles drop me below 10, definitely unplayable). I've tried dropping res to 1280 x 720 (native is 1280 x 800) and some simple tweaks like turning shadows and flora off, and lowering render quality to 10 (don't know if actually drops below 50), and updated my driver. My CPU is a dual core T7500 (2.2 GHz), perhaps having both an under powered GPU + CPU is too much to handle?
    Thanks.
  8. The King

I think that card is way out of date for PS2. but wait for some patch. His card is "a lot" better than yours.
  9. teks

Hit ALT-F When your FPS drop see if it says CPU or GPU. I bet I bet it says CPU. My nvidea 8600 GT handles the game fine (somehow) but processor speed is a freaking issue. If its CPU there are many helpful hints on these forums if you search. I read recently that reducing some settings puts more strain on the cpu. I will test this! I hope this is the case
  10. EWarren

The game is definitely CPU bound, and it seems to require a processor that is designed to run beefy mathematical computations.

I have an i5-3570K OCed to 4.4Ghz, 8GB of memory, GTX660TI (OCed as well). OCing from 4.1Ghz to 4.4Ghz brought in about 15-20 FPS (temperature hovered around 58 degrees with water cooling to prevent CPU throttling), which isn't much considering the speed jump. I get about 130 FPS in the Warp Gate but only 45ish at The Crown or any sort of larger battle.

Other players using lower speed i7 chipset seem to get better framerate even with Shadow and other effects on. A major selling point for i5 chipset is its price to speed ratio, and many gamers argue that today's games are graphic-card bound. Yet, MMOs like WOW or PS2 are CPU intensive.

This is a long-winded reply to the OP's question - I don't think the graphic card matters THAT much, but a fast CPU that can handle number crunching is also required (my i5-3570K is like a nerfed number crunching little brother compared to i7)
  11. Iksniljiksul

GT models are garbage. Literally. People throw them away long before they break. It should be illegal to sell intentionally stripped down tech just to turn a buck.

You need a GTX model.
  12. Alexlightning7

His card may be worse, but holy **** that is a very underpowered processor for this game.
    Assuming your running lowest settings, you are definitly CPU bottlenecked.
    A 6 year old dual core at a extremely low clock is not going to fair well in this game.
  13. overhuman

If someone still wants to play PS2 with this card, here are some infos:
    For now nearly 1 year I'm playing PS2 on a laptop with a i5-3210m (2x 2.6ghz-3.2ghz), 8gb RAM and a Geforce GT635M.
    When I started playing this awesome game I was able to set the graphics to medium and had minimum 30fps, even in big battles.
    Now, ~10k game-updates later I have to edit the .ini to set the graphics lower than low to get minimum 18fps in HUGE battles - you now what that's meaning.
    The fun is pretty limited...

At christmas I'm going to buy a gaming-PC, so then I'm back in the game :D