Massive frame rate drop when near smoke

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by NightmareP69, Dec 25, 2012.

1. NightmareP69

This issue started yesterday for me, everytime i logg into my character and play lets say for 10-20 minutes my frame rate start droping if i'm near smoke thats caused by an explosion,generator thats overheating or smoke coming out of large cannons. The FPS drops to 1 and my speakers start freaking out and emiting loud statick noises.
    I checked my hardware's temperatures and everything is fine, my CPU and GPU are not getting to stressed out so the problem is not caused by my PC. I don't have this issue with any other game, only in PS2. Everything was perffectly fine before the 24th.
    Does anyone else ever have this issue ? If so, how can i fix it ?
  2. Hydragarium

Smoke is one f the most intensive resource hogs known to gaming - So I am not at all surprised.
  3. NightmareP69

I know but this ridiculous, my FPS was good before and now al the sudden it drops to 1 and my entire PC starts frekaing out when i'm close to smoke.
  4. NightmareP69

UPDATE :
    Iv'e noticed something, i only start having those weird FPS smoke issues if i play on Esamir for 10-20 minutes, i just finished playing on Indar for 1 hour and had no issues at all, this only apperes to happen when i play on the snowy map. Still i'm not 100% sure if this is the case, if it is I'll have to avoid the lovevly snowy map forever, which sucks since snowy maps are my favorite and my camo is white.
  5. TokyoShoe

I have a question that may SEEM silly, but does actually have a purpose:

When you are near Smoke your FPS (framerate) drops massively, right? What happens when you are near smoke, but looking through an IR gun scope? I have similar issues to what you are mentioning.. except when near smoke and using an IR scope. This lets me suddenly brings my framerate back AND adds the benefit of letting me see my targets.

I'd love to hear what your results are.
    • Up x 1
  6. NightmareP69

Sadly i can't check since i don't have an IR scope, however i can confirm than the smoke frame rate issue doesn't only happen on Esamir for me, had the same issue on Indar right now BUUUUT i found out if you alt + tab (minimize) the game and than put it on back your screen the smoke frame rate issue gets fixed. I found that out thanks to this thread http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/smoke-particle-explosion-fps-lag.58762/
  7. NightmareP69

Bumping this thread up, i want SOE to notice this problem. Not many people have it but the few that do are getting annoyed by it alot.