The flops of Defense and base design so far, with solutions

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by UberBonisseur, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Tuco

Yeah....it......does

You just don't see the 100 defenders at the crown defending against your pitiful 50 player attack.
  2. xen3000

Well, hopefully SOE takes note of that fact.
  3. Tuco

And I was like, "Hey Planetside 1 CE is cool and fun."

And they were all like, "You'd have to have 100 mines to be effective these maps are huge."

And I was like, "Yeah I know." sad face.
  4. Dr. Allcome

Very good post, but I doubt they'll listen.
  5. Saydian

Great Suggestions, even if they only take a few of these, the better the game will be. (b^.^)b
  6. Niller

that is some good ideas
  7. Tuco

Won't work
  8. Almost

Bases change hands to fast.
    That's why there is no defense.
  9. Tuco

*scratches head*

There is no defense
    That's why base change hands too fast.

I think this works better, lol.
  10. Almost

Because PlanetSide is not World of Tanks.
    There should be a play field for infantry as well.
  11. Almost

In PlanetSide 1 hacked bases had a hacked icon on the map,
    so it was clear where to defend.

There was also a 15 minute timer, so there was time to send rescue troops
    to defend the base with the hacked icon.

If that was not possible, defenders at least knew at least 15 minutes in advance
    where the next attack would be so there was time to prepare for defense.
  12. BaldGibbon

Have posted in numerous threads about this problem....quite simply the building and surrounding terrain design as is, is just not good enough in almost every single instance.

1) Some of it is lazy design, like the very poor placement of turrets facing into terrain or with terrible weapon coverage.Seriously, if the turrets do not place well because of the gameworlds environment.....just remove those turrets.

2) Some of it is a complete lack of knowledge or implementation of military engineering in any aspect at all. Such as Unprotected access areas to buildings..( .I hesitate to call them doorways, as some muppet did not fit doors to them )....that can be directly targeted or even shot through into the building unopposed by air or ground or both.

####... The simple addition of a BLAST WALL placed about 5 metres out from a doorway would greatly reduce this, the simple addition of a LIP or OVERHANG on top of the door or window would also greatly reduce the amount of spammed shots from above..###

3) A civilian building can be fortified in very short order by a section of Combat Engineers ( 8 men ) in real life, there are whole books/PAMs dedicated to this skill that cover improvised and mechanical engineering and the use of the multitudes of commercially availiable military engineering stores ( Hesco Bastion, Terram, sandbags, razor wire, dannet coil, )...... You are not telling me that an army that can create a Main Battle Tank from a nano-goo can not fortifiy a building.

4) Trenches have been used since the first gunpowder weapons started to appear, digging a hole is still one of the most effective ways of stopping weapons fire....especially effective with overhead cover. It shields you from enemy fire and of greater importance allows you to move troops around by not dancing across open ground and letting the enemy see you.Overhead cover are sections of trench or buildings , with reinforced roofs that protect from direct artilley/mortor hits ( I think it is still 600mm of compacted earth as a min ) that would slaughter troops otherwise.

5) As mentioned before, the base design is just insane. Tunnels that lead straight into a base that are completely unprotected, absolutely CRITICAL parts of a base defence network are outside the base walls......direct spawn room access and jump pads ( jump pads are my pet hate anyway ) in unprotected installations is making a mockery of base defence.

The bases are too easy to take, they can be captured and recaptured without rest and that takes away any sense of achievement in defending the place anyway.

I always play as an Engineer, as in Planetside 1, as my main toon. But its got to the stage that I just cannot see a role for an engineer in this game in its present form apart from supplying ammo and reparing max/vehicles.....it is an utter waste of my time to repair a base beyond the generators or attempt to hold on to a base.

The longest base defence I ever played ( Planetside 1 )was as TR and holding against a massive assault from both NC and VS, we were heavily outnumbered, we used the base structure to create defence hardpoints ..we held for over 6 hours, the sense of achievement was great, people were chatting about it on the forums and ingame as an incredible fight for all 3 factions.
    • Up x 4
  13. Tuco

You suggesting tickets take 15 minutes to flip a base in PS2?
  14. Almost

That is what I said.
    But I will settle for 10 minutes.

This is not 10 minutes of doing nothing.
    It is 10 minutes of patrolling the hexes, fending of counter attacks, softening up the next hexes.

It will slow down the game.
    But it will make conquest more meaningful.
    And you will be able to make a coffee, come back and not see an entirely different map.
  15. Tuco

You suggesting tickets take 15 minutes to flip a base in PS2?

Never happen

Will still never happen.

...getting ghost hacked back.

Won't work. The 15 minute PS1 is balanced with other PS1 mechanics which don't exist here. LIke destroying spawn tubes for one. Base desing for another. You know anyone can jump out of a plane and jet pack on most ABCDEs.
  16. xen3000

Eh, I think even 10 minutes to cap may be too much. I suggest instead requiring more set up to start capping instead of just arbitrarily increasing the amount of time players have to stand around the cap. Poor base design aside, I like the multiple layers required to gain access to the Amp Stations cap point. Providing more interesting things to do when assaulting a base and more things for the defenders to do to set up a defense would be better than increasing the cap time.
  17. Tuco

I was just waiting for someone to suggest the ticket timer increase.
  18. Tuco

Most of these ideas revolve around a selfish desire to bribe, trick, force other players into playing defense while you camp their spawn doors. What's the matter, nobody is spawning on defense anymore? You got 10 tanks with their guns pointed at 2 doors, you guys bored? Of course you are.

Most of these ideas are from players that don't even like playing defense.
  19. UberBonisseur

Hey, it's not about debating the very nature of spawn rooms.

You could just add a protection against direct vehicle fire, widen up the exit doors, double their numbers and call it a day
    Spawn rooms should just not be the most reliable chokepoint for attackers. It's not wonder that people chose to focus on spawn rooms rather than settling themselves around the control point.
    • Up x 1
  20. 13lackCats

You didn't answer the question. :)

What will keep them from shooting up your exit? At some point, you have to leave the protected area, and a victorious enemy will gun you down just like now.

Is protection from infantry next?

Spawnpoints are not the most reliable chokepoint. They are the end of the battle.

You guys gotta get your head out of the spawn, and into the battle for the spawn- occurring 500m to the west.