Large-scale crash bug

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Linedan, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Linedan

Ever since Game Update 1, I've been having multiple crashes a night when being in any sort of a crowded area where there's a big fight going on. They happen every 20-45 minutes, and there is no error code, no warning, no message, no nothing...the game just hangs up, then 15 seconds later crashes to desktop with the generic Windows "Planetside2.exe has stopped working..." box.

What's bizarre about this is that it almost always knocks everybody else in my current squad in the same area off at the exact same time--so if, say, there's 10 of us in the squad and 8 of us are at one base fighting and the other 2 are back at the warpgate, the 8 will simultaneously lock up and crash out, and the 2 back at the warpgate will be fine. We always lock up and crash en masse, and it hits everybody simultaneously. And it's not just us, when it happens, people will drop out of big fights by the dozens. We've taken bio labs (and lost bases as well) because most of the defenders all just locked up at one time and are just sitting in the world running in place.

This is a MAJOR problem. Have any devs or SOE folks recognized this issue?
  2. LonelyAirman

I can support this. I was leading a Reaver squadron coming into Howling Pass Checkpoint when everyone in the squadron crashed. We pulled Libs and the same happened again.
  3. DiscetoPT

I'm having the same problem since the last patch, but no one seems to give a **** about this -.-
  4. DvoglavaZver

yeah it is happening to us all the time, right in the middle of the battle half of our outfits game clients crash, HUGE problem, kills the game dynamics
  5. Linedan

I just had this happen again at Allatium Bio Lab...no warning, no error, no slowdown, no nothing, the game just froze while I was repairing a MAX and crashed 20 seconds later. I know this isn't much to go on, but it's all I've got because there's no error indicated, the game just crashes to desktop. Can we get a dev response at least acknowledging that this is being looked into? It's a serious problem.
  6. iodine

This definitely needs more attention. I don't really check this forum, is there a larger thread? Or do people just post frequent small threads less likely to get seen by those who need to?

I have noticed that it happens many times right as an outfit/faction shows up, and people in vicinity of a single cap point. I don't want to cry wolf, but it usually works out so favorably that I can't help but wonder if it's either an exploit, a side effect of some specific "hack" or simply something specific like one particular camo/decal/armor/whatever. It could also just be related to a large amount of people suddenly entering an area, but I'd imagine that would be less likely to result in hard client-side freezes.

Saying again to emphasize, these are just my inconsequential guesses based on how and when it happens, I could very easily be completely wrong because I'm an idiot. Don't start with accusations or "us vs. them" in game, players on every faction crash at the same time.
  7. Linedan

No, I understand what you're saying. I've seen it a lot on Mattherson (NC) but it seems to affect a large number of players in a hex or a certain radius--but not everybody. It actually got NC a bio lab cap one night last week when I was on; we were pushing a TR-held bio lab and then my entire squad that was there crashed. When we got back in, almost every TR defender had crashed out as well, and we were able to get in and take it.

Maybe up to 3/4 of the players in a given area will crash out when this bug hits. There are always a few left behind--I've been still on once or twice in an area where most other people are just running in place disconnected, but more often than not I lock up and CTD as well. It's really weird.
  8. Shubniggurath

I've been copping random crashes since the mini patch that came with double xp prep server downtime