Do ammo pack upgrades work with turret B function?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Blaank, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Blaank

Does the engineer ability slot ammunition package upgrade apply to ammo packages deployed with the turret secondary function of laying an ammo pack?
  2. Compass

3. Blaank

If this is true, when are they going to fix this bug?
  4. 4GibMe

How is it a bug? The Dev's have given you something on the side that you would normally not have, and because it doesn't get the same upgrades as the regular ammo pack you call it a bug??????

Regarding when any bug will be fixed. Answer,,,,, sometime between now, and the next 2 years.
  5. Mansen

Because...

1. The developers have never made any attempt to actually make it obvious that your MANA TURRET can magically dispense ammo packs for some reason.
    2. You will only discover this strange ability by trial and error (aka. dumb luck) - Nowhere in the game is the feature advertised.
    3. It isn't affected by the ammo pack certification upgrades - another case of bad misinformation (or rather a complete lack OF information)

Why give the Engineer a dedicated ammo slot at all if they cannot truly lose it anyway?
  6. Blaank

Ok, more evidence that the whole thing is unintended. The turret ammo pack is always a lvl 3 ammo pack. And when you get lvl 3 ammo pack upgrades your turret can no longer use the secondary fire ammo pack.
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/turret-ammo-pack-level.69811/
    At this point I'm certain that the alt fire for the turret was left in from testing and whatnot. It was never a feature.
  7. Soylent

I'm pretty sure that switching to the ammo pack with B from the mana turret is not intended. Expect to see it removed some time in the future.
  8. dr_Fell

I wouldn't be so sure. It was updated in last patch (and it now remembers fire mode, unlike before patch). Would they made an update to this option if it was a bug ?
  9. Soylent

This was a fix to the weapons first of all, the turret got the fix along the way as mode switching works the same for them.
  10. rimau79

I would expect a different fix.

According to certifications ammo pack should be in the same slot as the turret, not explosives. So it should be either ammo or turret, not ammo or explosives (and ammo by some nano-magic).
    • Up x 4
  11. zukhov

Switching to ammo from turret has been in the gane since beta, if it was a bug they wouldn't they have fixed it by now?

There is no evidence to suggest that its a bug at all, surley the bug must be with the ammo pack level?
    • Up x 1
  12. Ipecac

I don't know if turret ammo is a bug or not, but I think we should all take a moment to realize that this is not safe reasoning one way or another.
  13. Gunhazard

Awareness of the existence of a bug does not mean that it just gets fixed and that's that. Sometimes what looks like a small bug can be far more complicated an issue to fix than it appears.

The ability to dispense ammo is almost definitely a bug. It could become a feature, but as it stands it's definitely a bug. That doesn't mean it'll get fixed right away. I'm sure SOE have bigger things to focus on right now than correcting a minor bug.

For now, bask in the enjoyment of being able to drop ammo packs and still carry AT mines.
  14. Gibber

Tweeted...
    Everything about the turret and switching between it and a level 3 ammo pack is up in the air until they sort out the AA/AV turrets and/or certification sidegrades and variants. As it stands currently the usefulness of the MANA turret can't compete with the benefits and utility of an ammo pack. I suspect when the Engineer gets it's overdue overhaul there will be a sacrifice of either ammopack or mines for a much better turret an (hopefully) some other drop utilities.
  15. TokyoShoe

First of all... anyone complaining about your turret pack "magically turning into something that can dispense ammo" apparently has NO clue as to the lore behind the game's design nor experience with the original Planetside.

In PS1 the Engineer had something called an ACE ("Adaptive Construction Engine"). An ACE was white barrel shaped objected you carried around in your hand, and it had a red "dial" button on the top. You carried up to 3 or 4 ACEs at one time because each was disposable. You placed it and lost it, requiring you to go to an equipment terminal and 'refill' afterwards. An ACE could be switched between numerous functionality modes: A Motion Sensor (to detect cloakers or enemy troops moving through the area), a Spitfire auto-targeting turret (AI controlled, auto-function), and "Boomer" (which was effectively a C4 charge).

The idea behind it was that each ACE was in actuality a small canister of nanites, pre-programmed with three different forms they could assemble themselves into. Hence the idea of one incongruous object being able to transform into three totally unrelated things.

Also.. the alt-fire for the turret pack (being able to turn into an Ammo Pack) is intended functionality on the part of the developers. The concept is that the Engineer is supposed to be doing repairs on the battle field, dispensing ammo to team mates in the process AND act like a sort of 'explosives expert' in the process. If you choose to not DEDICATE a slot to the Ammo Pack (the stand alone version, not the turret version), then you do not get the benefit of improved functionality through certs (i.e. you get a "dumbed down" version). Choosing to actually DEDICATE a slot solely to the ammo pack, sacrificing explosives in the process, you gain enhanced functionality through certs, allowing you to max out ammo dispensing abilities.

It's a simple game balance idea. Is it a GOOD game balance idea? That's left for others to argue.
    • Up x 1
  16. Bill Hicks

17. Mafarett

I know that the ammo box in the utility slot is a relic from when LA gave out ammo, expect it to be removed in the future. Also its not just the "Mana Turret" it's the ACE tool, it builds ****, it's just currently limited to a turret and ammo box.
  18. Shiaari

Feature or not, I love it. No complaints here. I remember the original ACE, and hope they bring it back. Having to choose between C4, proxy mines, anti-tank mines alone is a major loss of engineer functionality. Losing the turret ammo pack would ruin the class.

With the original ACE, I could drop boomers, spitfires, AND ammo packs at will. I'd happily trade mines for the original ACE, but so long as we have the turret ammo pack I'm happy. Take it away and I stop playing engineer.
  19. Ghostfox

20. Ghoest

Its not a bug that the manna turrets ammo arent effected by the upgrade.

If there is a a bug its that they already last as long as fully upgraded ammo.

But the current system works fine.