Thoughts on nerfing from a PS1 vet.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by grinnin, Dec 22, 2012.

1. grinnin

For a while in the original Planetside, my primary character was certed to be an infiltrator. My routine was something like this: Get to a tower we (TR) are defending, get a max, Farm the bejesus out of the NC and loot as many scatter pistols as I could get my grubby little hands on. Eventually we would loose the tower and it would be time to defend that tower's base. Go lay combat engineering around the base and figure out where most of the campers are. Grab a mosquito (I was a horrid pilot then,) race past the front lines, bail, pray that I was not followed by a reaver, and start walking my way to the snipers. I'll tell you what, you turn one of the NCs own weapons on them, they ignore the first shot. It was great, creep up on a sniper, lay a boomer right behind him and move on to your next victim.
    Then came the Biffers. Battle Frame Robotics, and at the time. I thought they were over powered. I would try to go about my usual routine and as soon as I got my first kill planned, I would either be killed by a BFR or would have to back out because of their presence. They were able to jump and would use that to an extreme advantage to get a good angle on targets at a distance so, it allowed these heavily armored walkers to sit back with the snipers.
    While at release they were a little overpowered, it was not their weapons that were overpowered, it was how they changed the game. My cloaker was useless. I had to come up with a new strategy. It was not the developers fault that I was doing the same thing over and over and expected a different result, and it took a few weeks, but I learned. We would pull a marauder from a different base, creep up behind the BFR, have a gunner jump out and hit it with a jammer, jump back in and open fire while moving faster than it could turn. If we did not get the kill we defiantly scared it off and the snipers were easy pickings for a scout vehicle.
    I'm not trying to say that nothing is overpowered. I am saying that before you say something is overpowered try a few different methods to take them down. Yes, my Dalton will kill your medic in less than 2 seconds, and it will continue to do so if you spawn under it. An ESF or better 2 working together (like the liberator crew), a well placed tank shell, another Liberator, especially with a Tank Buster... All joking aside, Liberator pilot rule number one: take out any enemy Liberators in the area first, and make sure your crew knows that that is the current target. anyway, there are many ways to grab the liberator by the balls and have your way with it, it just takes a little practice.
    3 Burster Maxes can easily keep an entire squad of Mosquitos out of a battle. but a single tank will hardly get a scratch trying to take him alone out, and while you are in that tank you better make sure there is no light assault with C4 around, and that LA should have an eye on the horizon for snipers, while the infiltrator just hides, they are afraid of everything.
    "By altering his arrangements and changing his plans, he keeps the enemy without definite knowledge" - Sun Tzu.
    With that said, many of the tactics and strategies that we utilized with the Marauder I have leaned to employ with the new Liberator, and My backseat gunner from then is now my belly gunner. We know our tactics, we have countless hours of in game teamwork under our belts, and we will destroy you if you do not out think us. So be prepared to make a few mistakes, and attempt to learn from them before you point a finger at a developer.
    Planetside 2 is the most complex FPS ever made, so much so, that it has practically made it's own genera. you have to think about the larger picture than many FPS gamers are used too.
    I know I do a lot of ranting thanks for reading.
  2. Edgar Allan Bro

Whoa! You're a PS1 vet. Cool bro!
  3. QuantumGuard

Mister Gorbachev tear down this wall...

Seriously though, please, do some formatting, it hurts eyes.
  4. Wintermaulz

For the love of all that is good in this world, format that wall!

That aside, I find libs are really easy pickings, even as a lone mossy. Come at them from the side, and do your best to stick above them, and its like shooting fish in a barrel.
  5. AxynRaven

Most of the players would rather yell that whatever kills them is OP and needs to be weakened instead of learning to counter it by gameplay... Yes there are some problems in the game but they aren't simple gameplay problems. Btw I hope you remember after biffers went over the hill and the game was on life support it was viable to take out a biffer with a light assault drop on one with an emp on the way out of a mossie + deci swapping or quite a bit of AP jack