[BUG] GTA rockets completely ineffective

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xiphos, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Xiphos

So my squad needed anti-air and since MAX was on cooldown I equipped GTA rockets (I haven't used them since the patch). I fired 6 rockets at various aircraft flying at varying speeds and not a single rocket hit. The liberators just dodged them, the fighters outran them. They are utterly worthless.
  2. Hael

I agree. A half-decent lib gunner can shoot them down out of mid air, everyone runs flares now, and it seems like a sharp turn will send them flying off into never never land. I don't think I've gotten a single G2A kill since unlocking the launcher.

Also, "area denial" my ***. It has yet to stop air from bombing the **** out of a base.
    • Up x 1
  3. Togashi

There is some sort of bug with GTA rockets and libs. My friends keep saying that GTA rockets don't damage liberators 90% of the time. One even shot at a lib that landed 30 feet in front of him, he got lockon and hit for no damage.
  4. Xiphos

The rockets just have low flight time / speed and can lock further than they can fly. That makes it easy to outrun or dodge them.

The GTG rockets have the same problem but tanks are slower than aircraft, so only Magriders and Lightnings that are already at a good distance can outrun them.
  5. bPostal

They're garbage that's for sure.
  6. JP_Russell

That's unfortunate. When I initially heard they made it still able to dumbfire but just decreased the missile speed, I thought that meant it was decreased for dumbfire only, which seemed like a reasonable compromise. I don't know how they could have thought it would be a good compromise to actually make it slow all the time. It'd probably be better to just go with their original plan of removing dumbfire than doing this, since they apparently can't figure out how to give it two different flight speeds.
  7. w00tb33r

I noticed this yesterday. My rockets would turn towards the plane they were locked on to, but they never turned sharp enough to hit. It was almost like they were locked on to the point the plane was at 3 seconds ago.

Has anyone tested this with Air to Air?
  8. Lord Robert

I've noticed it too. My grounder was semi effective in the first week of release, but now everybody knows how to avoid rockets. Its super easy to do so. A2A rockets can sometimes prevent air from just hovering and farming everyone, but it is not effective as a kill weapon. I hit maybe 1/10 times now.
    The worst part? Its probably intentional. Higby said he wanted other air to be the only hard counter to air power.

Its not good as is, and ground based AA needs a serious buff. Rockets, Skyguards, the whole lot. I think its the most significant flaw with the balance of the game currently.
    • Up x 1
  9. B0bzor

I just started flying and noticed this yesterday. I was locked, and deployed flares, while they were still charging I was locked again. I was in 3rd person view and watched a Vanu GTA missile hit me. The screen flashed red to indicate the hit, but oddly enough there was no damage.
  10. Sowahka

Damage they do is good but they're unreliable. I think the bug where they do no damage is due to lag, if I hit a moving target on the rear is doesn't damage them 50% of the time, I think it's registering the explosion a little late and by the time it does the aircraft has moved too far forward to be in it. They seemed to work reliably in beta, but lately they havent been too great. If they were fixed to be a little faster and actually do damage every time they hit they'd be fine. Wouldn't buff them much beyond that though.
  11. {joer

The liberators "Dodged" them?

I call shenanigans on this post.
  12. Azimaith

You can dodge rockets on a liberator, half the time if you just fly away they don't even deal damage at all. There are serious problems with G2A missiles to the point where clear shots miss almost every time.
    GtG rockets don't even work anyhow as rockets regularly drive themselves into the ground in front of tanks, even when you're on elevation. None of the lock on missiles work. Just get rid of the lock on's and give us a Phoenix type launcher for ground and a lancer type AA gun and I'll be good.
  13. Tuco

hehe
  14. Craeshen

Imho they just need a speed increase so they can at least catch an aircraft going full speed as well as a launch speed increase by large margin damage wise they're fine.

As for the issues with lock on ground rockets they need to program in a zoom climb to the rocket so you lock on fire and the missile itself pitches up and climbs @ a steep angle for 2 or 3 seconds.

Sorta like that.
  15. Dhart

The 'Hawk' loses lock almost immediately. A pilot really has to be inexperienced to get hit now.

I can avoid them on my Reaver... with no performance certs at all. The AA rockets are different... those kill me regularly.

So glad I didn't bother buying the Annihilater... can't imagine it's any better.
  16. HadesR

Info I received in convo with a Dev about the issue

Hello,

To clarify the changes:
    • There are different speed stats for when the weapon is locked on and for when it isn't. The projectile speed if fired while locked on is unchanged.
    • The rocket doesn't accelerate anymore if fired without a lock.
    So the end result is that the weapon should perform exactly like before if used in the GTA role. The dumbfire rocket speed was intentionally slowed down, we thought this was a better change then completely removing the ability to fire without a lock.

Which from my own testing seems inaccurate .. " should perform " and " does perform " are two diff things though
  17. Przemogce

Wow that sounds like total fake since not only missile speed was decreased but also missile starts to fall to the ground after flying 10 m. Its completely different than it used to be. In addition pre patch missiles in my opinion didnt have problem with registering actual damage or at least i didnt pay enough atention to notice this bug. Now the weapon itself is so bugged that the actual hit ratio is below 10% of shots that were in very close range
  18. InducedApathy

It's been like this since patch. I asked for my money back since it's useless 99% of the time. SOE won't refund you though even though they broke them even further. They're so bad I took a short ban trip because I despise whoever created them and changed them.
  19. JP_Russell

Ah, so I wasn't mistaken, that was how it was supposed to work. Must be bugged then. Sounds like it's consistently not switching to its locked flight speed while you have a lock like it's supposed, and is instead getting stuck in its dumbfire flight speed.

This game sure does have an abnormal amount of problems with game states getting stuck one way when they're supposed to switch to another state. Can't help but wonder if that's down to a flaw in the engine, flaws in the implementations, or undisciplined and repeated programmer error.
  20. AnnPerkins

A lot of the missiles don't seem to deal damage when they impact. I use the default launcher and had a couple clean hits on tanks do absolutely no damage.