Integrated Graphics getting better FPS than my Dedicated Graphics

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by rocketsam, Dec 1, 2012.

1. rocketsam

Hey guys, i wonder if you can help me out a little.

Alienware m14x, the dedicated graphics is GT 555m 3GB GDDR3 , the integrated is Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000.

Now the thing is when i run PS2 on my Dedicated graphics on really low res, with LOW everything and Render quality at about 10% (which makes it look like ***) i achieve about 25 FPS on my own and about <10 FPS if there is any fighting going on. It just makes the game unplayable really. Here is the GPU-Z image from using the Dedicated Graphics:

[IMG]

So what i can see here is that the dedicated GPU never goes about a 20% Load, which i thought was strange. Anyway this was giving me about 15 FPS, and 25FPS when im on my own (although it looks like ***)

[IMG]

So here is my Integrated graphics, the GPU load peaks all over the place but get this, at exactly the same settings on PS2 i get 20 - 30 FPS in a fight and 40 + FPS on my own,

So whats going on here then? i mean i can play it on my integrated graphics but it looks like ***!, and i have my dedicated graphics so i just want to play it at low settings with decent render quality.

So any idea guys?

Cheers
  2. fish998

Those GPU clocks are very low, but presumably those shots were taken on the desktop without any game running? You could check the laptop isn't in power saving mode (right click the power icon on the taskbar and select balanced), or running off the battery just in case.

Most likely your CPU is dragging the framerates down, and it may be while using the integrated video card some features are being disabled completely (like shadows) and therefore the game is taxing your CPU less vs the dedicated card. When you press ALT-F and check the fps bottom left, does it show CPU or GPU most of the time?
  3. rocketsam

Thanks for the reply, although this is alittle late,

The FPS counter ALWAYS says CPU never GPU, and the clocks you see in the images is record from when PS2 was running.

i sort of gave up becuase i now have an okay PC to run it on and i get pretty good FPS on that. but now its the holidays and i only have my laptop :( trying to get it to work now. SOOOO BORED without PS2!!
  4. CronN

If your CPU is the bottleneck, you're looking at the wrong graphs. What CPU do you have? are you sure the game is running with the dedicated graphics card when it starts? (you can change those settings).
  5. rocketsam

I have the i7-2670QM CPU 2.20 GHz

I have just updated to the new Nvidia drivers, and set PS2 to use only the Dedicated graphics card, and it seemed to have worked for a really short amount of time. i was in the warp gate getting 50+ FPS and it said GPU next to the FPS counter, then after about 10 seconds of me jumping around with glee checking out my great FPS it then switched to CPU on the FPS counter and started to drop frames to about 5FPS.

I am investigating this now. (on another note my Nvidia control panel is now not starting up which is strange)