Why would i buy any weapons as VS

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Roarboar, Dec 19, 2012.

1. wabbitseason

Vanu problems.
    • Up x 1
  2. Dovahkiin

DPS is directly proportional to TTK, so a useless comment on your behalf.
  3. Roarboar

Apparently you didnt even understand my post, so useless comment on YOUR behalf.
    Anyhow, how much damage does soft point ammo give? I havent been able to find this in the sheets. If it brings the TTK below that of the orion it might actually get interesting.
  4. Malleth

Assuming this is correct:
    Then the Flare does more dps at 25m-50m with soft point ammo. However the number of bullets to kill is only decreased to 6 from 7 (6.993 vs 5.206), so the Orion still has faster TTK with it's higher ROF. Assuming 100% accurate body shots on a full health target, no HA shield or nanoweave.

With the Polaris, the soft point doesn't decrease the number of bullets necessary on a full health target.

edit: Against a target with full nanoweave, the Flare and Polaris with soft point ammo have a faster TTK than the Orion.
  5. Cassidia

No, its not.
    Your first shot gets out without a reload time, this is why weapons with high bullet damage can have favourable TTK even with bad dps.
    If you want to be precise you can also take bullet flight time into account for your TTK.
  6. HerpTheDerp

It's not. Soft Point Ammo simply extends the range in which your weapon deals maximum listed damage from 10m to 15m. And then ***** it.
  7. Kedric

The Orion is decent, but the SVA-88 is incredible. I don't know how any Vanu Heavies can pass up this gun, yet I rarely see it used.
  8. Mercadion

In truth it looks just like the other weapons so you really cant tell what everyone is using.
  9. Roarboar

What makes it so incredible?
  10. Erendil

I can't look at the weapon stat docs atm since I'm at work, but from what I remember, compared to the Orion, the SVA-88:
    • has a 75-shot battery
    • comes with 300 extra shots instead of 200
    • has a faster default muzzle velocity
    • has the 6x scope, compensator, & HV ammo available
    • keeps the Orion's fast ADS footspeed (Orion and SVA88 ADS footspeed multiplier is .75, all other LMGs in the game are .5)
    • has the fastest Recoil recovery rate of any VS LMG (not sure how it compares to the NC/TR LMGs)
    • keeps the Orion's tight hipfire CoF while moving (don't remember the value)
    • has a lower first shot recoil. I don't recall if the sustained fire recoil is better or not tho.
    • has a single shot fire mode for those who like that sort of thing
    The LSW is also and amazing weapon. It's basically an SVA-88 that's designed for ADS shooting. It:
    • Has a very low sustained fire recoil that's very easy to control, especially with a foregrip
    • has the same 75/300 battery and spare ammo count
    • has a tighter ADS CoF while moving
    • but it's missing the slow ADS footspeed and extra attachments the SVA88 has, and its hipfire CoF while moving is a little worse
    All 3 are great LMGs tho. I personally use the Orion for CQC work when I know I won't be running into more than 2-3 enemies at a time and the SVA-88 for everything else except long range plinking and chokepoint defense. I'd use the LSW for long range work if it weren't for the fact we have the Eidolon Battle Rifle. :cool:

Only the Orion and SVA-88 have the .75 ADS multiplier. The rest are .5 like the TR/NC LMGs. I presume it's the result of the Devs trying to make some of the VS weapons feel a little more unique and to make them better fit the VS mobility/maneuverability empire advantage.

I for one applaud them for it. It's IMO just the kind of thing they should do to more weapons across all 3 empires to give them more unique empire flavor.
  11. HerpTheDerp

I would applaud them if other empires actually had their own comparable advantages, because currently the Vanu:
    - have many guns with 0.75 speed multiplier when ADSing
    - have generally lowest recoil
    - have generally good ADS accuracy on the move
    - have no bullet drop
    - have best reload times

And that is supposed to be balanced by:
    - lower damage weapons, which doesn't really work because they make up for it in RPM and 143/167 damage values(which most VS weapons use) are pretty much standard anyway across all empires
    - less damage at range, which doesn't really work because the range at which they reach their lowest damage is noticeably longer than other empires
  12. Bubbalicious

Yes but, remember the range on the Orion is horrid. it says it is a medium range weapon (my @#$%) anyways, it is more like a shotgun. Pandora would be about the same in ttk and range.
  13. Thades

More typical complaining about VS weapons. Honestly, just look at the data (LMGs) and you'll find they're really not so amazing as you think. Every single person of every single faction comes here and talks about how the faction has better LMGs. I've played them all with nearly all of the weapons. They are all damn good and complaining to the contrary is just a way of making yourself feel better after losing to a superior player.

This is a FPS game, some people are just better than you. Some people just aim for the head, compensate perfectly and hit every single shot while strafing side to side. Some people bunny hop on you so hard you can't keep up and lose. If you've played Counter Strike for any significant period of time you'd see just how high the skill cap can go.

TTK values really don't make the game. This isn't WoW or something just because 'MMO' follows the genre, your DPS meters aren't any good here. Everything counts. Just for the sake of boredom and server downtime I'll pick at your gripes.

"have many guns with 0.75 speed multiplier" - Many, in this case, means 2. VS have 2 guns with 0.75 multiplier when ADSing, and if you can't hit someone moving 2/3rds the speed of your incredibly slow walking speed, boy do you have bigger issues at hand.

"have generally the lowest recoil" - All recoil can be compensated for, it's only a question of how much you drag down your mouse. Furthermore, I don't even agree with this. Having played a lot of TR, their recoil is pretty amazing for staying on-target.

"have generally good ADS accuracy on the move" - Everyone does. Mobility has always been the VS "flavor", if you think a 0.010 difference is super imbalanced then I encourage you to play LA + Adrenaline pump.

"have no bullet drop" - This is one of the things people talk about most, and it's hilarious because bullet drop effects basically nothing except for snipers. Which for the VS, do have bullet drop.

"have the best reload times" - This may be true, frankly I'm too lazy to check. But who the **** cares? How often do you die to someone's reload time? If you're reloading in the middle of a shootout, chances are you're dead even if you have .8 of a second off the total time. Furthermore, they pay dearly for these reload times in magazine sizes, which are almost all 50-75 bullets.

Lastly, if you're going to complain about lower damage at range not taking effect, then you don't get to complain about bullet drop. They both don't take place until you're talking about a pretty significant distance.

In closing, the better player will win when it comes down to a firefight. Not the better gun. Everyone is tired of hearing about it, because it's just a way of people finding something else to blame other than themselves.
    • Up x 2
  14. HerpTheDerp

I am looking at the data. Are you?

2 is many considering other factions get 0.

Agree or not I don't care, it's all in the numbers, your opinion means nothing. And yes, it is a matter of just dragging your mouse(actually it's not, because of horizontal balance) but if all other things are equal and I have to drag twice as much as the other guy, is that balance?

Everyone doesn't. For TR and NC, 0.4 is the norm and 0.35 is the exception. For VS, it's the opposite. 0.05 matters when it's well over 10% difference in accuracy.

You mean except for the semi-auto ones which don't.

Probably people who got killed because they got caught mid-reload.

Do you really want me to come with an argument by exaggeration to point out how wrong that is?

I do hovewer appreciate your attemts at "u bad, l2p". I have no problems with Vanu on my server, the only time they put up a real fight is when you're halfway towards their Warpgate. Otherwise they seem content on just sitting in their quarter.
  15. Erendil

- VS and TR each have 8 weapons with a .75 ADS footspeed. NC has 7.
    - Lower recoil and ADS accuracy while moving fit the "Accuracy" empire advantage
    - Bullet drop is more than counterbalanced by degradation at range. And you can compensate for bullet drop, but can't do anything about degradation.
    - NC and VS both have a similar number of weapons with shorter reload times. TR fall a little short here, but then, they have higher capacity mags to help make up for it.

And it actually is balanced by the VS having lower damage weapons since the TR, not the VS, have the lion's share of highest ROF weapons. And the NC have 16 weapons at 167 or 200 damage. the VS have 5, and the TR 3. So NC have highest damage, TR have highest RoF, and VS are in the middle of both. Sounds fine to me.

It also is balanced by damage at range as well, since the NC and TR weapons stop degrading at a measly 65-85m, whereas the VS continue to further degrade out to 115-125m and end up having a lower minimum damage (100-112, whereas TR are at 112-143, and NC are mainly 143-167). Since the VS weapons generally lose 10-20 more damage points going from Max to Min values than TR/NC equivalent weapons, and also end up at lower absolute minimum damage values, I'm guessing the damage/distance graphs follow fairly parallel routes for all 3 empires out to the 65-85m range, after which the VS graphs continue to decrease below the TR/NC minimum damage values. Again, sounds pretty balanced, since 85m is around the distance you start to notice bullet drop.
  16. Bill Hicks

First of all Planet side is not have even close to the skill cap counter strike had. Its more like COD
    second : vanu weapons are a perfect combination of stats that make it strong against all other factions.
  17. MartianDiscoFish

I personally hate the Orion
    I play Heavy assault as either the 'room clearing class' or an 'outdoor class', and the Orion can do neither of those things to great effect.
    The 50 round mag is somewhat limiting and it's CoF and damage drop-off is marginally worse than other VS LMGs

The Pulsar LSW can essentially do what the Orion can do better at the cost of slightly lower DPS, I would suggest you give the Pulsar a try.
  18. Antivide

They're slightly more accurate on the move. I think the general value is a difference of .05 compared to TR. NC is a special case because they have the best STATIONARY ADS, CROUCH STATIONARY ADS, AND CROUCH MOVING STATIONARY ADS. but slightly more bloom(formatted for emphasis). TR make up with slightly higher ROF, NC make up with slightly higher damage. The differences between factions aren't as extreme as you think.

Bullet drop is a non issue, it's a joke. No one but infiltrator's really have to worry about it. The projectile speed isn't that much of an issue either, Vanu weapons typically only shoot at like 10 to 15 M/S faster which is almost meaningless.

Recoil is on par with TR. VS have = Higher initial, lower sustained. TR have = medium initial, highest sustained. NC have = Highest initial, lowest sustained.

The only problem I have is the Vanu have literally the BEST light machine guns. They're not light machine guns, they have the accuracy of assault rifles with the mobility of a shotgun. Vanu LMGs are straight up superior to TR and NC in their class.
  19. pnkdth

No they don't. Anyone who've used an AR or shotgun would know this is nonesense.
  20. Antivide

I mean they're more accurate than the other LMGs for the other factions, while some of them get a movement bonus.