Client crashes immediately after showing "faction select" screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by TimtheEnchanter, Dec 13, 2012.

1. TimtheEnchanter

Of the crash reports I've been able to find, most seem to happen during the loading screen. This one I haven't seen yet. Though the game hangs at 98% during the loadscreen for a while, it immediately finishes. I'm able to see the next screen just long enough to read names of the 3 factions, before getting the generic error message that the client has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Anyone else encountered this? Workarounds?
  2. Uberirdisch

I have the same issue, but only on indar it seems. Initially I was on indar and it would load, but if I died it would hang at 98% and crash after respawn. I left for amerish and cannot reload back into indar as it hangs at 98% and crashes.

I validated files, then failing still, I did an uninstall, then revalidated with no success.
  3. TimtheEnchanter

Aye, it certainly doesn't seem to be a load screen issue for me, because I do see a render image right before the crash, since I see the faction select screen. It 'looks' like it's frozen because it's still caching textures, or at least, that was what I thought was happening the first time I loaded it. And then the screen went blank instead. And of course, it's a windows error, so there's no PS2 error code to look at and try to debug.
  4. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Try validating your game's assets as some files may have become corrupt. You can do so by clicking the tiny spanner icon in the bottom left of the screen and select validate, then press the green button.

Also, when we perform game-updates, the executable files are tweaked just enough to throw anti-virus programs for a loop. Make sure that launchpad.exe, awesomiumprocess.exe, and planetside2.exe have been re-added as exceptions in any Firewall/Anti-Virus software you currently are running in order to ensure that the game will run correctly with this kind of software running in the background.

Let me know if that helps.
  5. TimtheEnchanter

File verification has been run. All 3 exes are exceptions in Windows Firewall. AVG temporarily disabled. Still crashes at the same moment.
  6. Lamapalooza

I have the exact same issue. It loads the game after clicking play in the client. Then it hangs at 98% for a while, jumps to faction select screen and crashes.
  7. Lamapalooza

I feel like bumping this.
  8. AngelSnypz

I used to have the crashing during initial load but since the big patch ive had this problem too, it loads enough to see the faction names, and read the vanu description but then freezes with the generic "planetside2.exe has stopped working".
    oh btw it looks like it is trying to load a preview of a vanu guy right before it crashes, just in case something might be wrong there. also every time i boot launchpad it re downloads uninstaller.exe, is that meant to happen?
  9. ettin

I'm having this exact issue.

Haven't actually tried playing before now as I haven't had time, but I picked up some SC on the triple SC day and decided now was as good a time as any. First issue - launching the game via steam gives me an error 4-404 in the launcher. No problem, installed the standalone game (moved files over from the steam install) and the launcher starts fine, and all game files validate fine. Now, however, I manage to get to the faction select screen where the game hangs for 5-10 seconds before crashing to desktop with a generic "planetside2.exe has stopped working".

Also having the same phenomenon as AngelSnypz where the launcher downloads uninstaller.exe every time it's opened or I validate files.

My system is dated but still meets the minimum - AMD Phenom II X3 720, GTX275, 4GB RAM, Win7 64-bit.

EDIT: I should note that I've tried forwarding the relevant ports, disabling/unplugging all USB devices besides keyboard/mouse, adding exceptions to the relevant .exe files in Windows firewall as well as disabling it entirely, disabling Microsoft Security Essentials entirely, disabling my second monitor, and validating the game files.