So after watching the ultimate empire showdown...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Jawa, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Kleus

The server population problem won't be solved by this event and here's why. TB's fanbase already knows about planetside because he's been beating that drum for months already. Seananner's fanbase are mostly FPS junkies and PS2 isn't the right product for them ATM. Lack of metagame + the fact that PS2 isn't quite as casual as what a seananners fan typically enjoys. Finally, Tobuscus's channel caters to people who couldn't give two ***** about FPSs or competitive anything. So I guess the choice to pick Toby was "He has big numbers. Big numbers must equal big money, amirite guise?! YEAH!"

This event will likely give SOE some small influx of players for a few months. Maybe a hundred of paying players in that mix. The end result is that this is a band aid over the real problem of stale metagame + bugs + cheaters. They need to fix those three things and do some server merging or allow moving to populated servers. Failing that last bit, allow cross server SC unlocks for all chars of the same faction. (which is being worked on in some form, as stated previously)
  2. GoldstarIV

Despite what any of us say, someone somewhere is giving all the guys responsible pats on the backs expressing what a job well done and how the choices made were perfect..

NC and VS should have voted (as their factions would), the TR is fine being handed TB..

After all the serious trailers and vids, when they decide to do an event in the game they decide to go comedy hour on us?
  3. Ysanne

It is actually a clever idea.

Why? Because it is cheaper and more effective as the usual pay4commercials2winreviews games magazine way.
    To be honest I give a ... for magazines reviews these days. Who ever pays most for the commercials wins the reviews.
    It is an interesting development: I trust more objectivity to someone random on Youtube than I do to someone who works for a games magazine these days.

If a game is bad, but comes from EA - it gets the best magazine reviews anyway. If a good game comes from someone who did not pay enough - it is shred to pieces and gets a 60% rating.
  4. Sparks

We should host a massive cease fire and all go on a flash race instead of following these "leaders" so they will look like the fools they are (TB can have 1 sidekick because he actually has some history with ps :p) .
  5. Flarestar

This is obviously a marketing move, not a serious attempt at entering the eSport arena. As much as people are ******** about Tobuscus being chosen, he was actually the only choice that actually made sense from a marketing perspective. His fans are typically not the FPS gamer crowd - but they'll watch it because he's in it. That means exposure to a large amount of people who probably wouldn't have any real exposure to the game otherwise.

All of the cries for PS1/PS2 vets, top FPS champs, etc. are missing the point.
  6. Dazamin

This is nearly as good as the 12 days of helmets sale. Go Go SOE Marketing :rolleyes:
    • Up x 4
  7. Lazaruz

Why is it that those two mediawhores (Nanners and Tobuscus) need to stick their head in promotions of every game I play... They were already featured in the APB: Reloaded live action trailer a year ago, and look how well that went. Now they're doing this promo for PS2, dear me. They'll jinx the game!!!

But I guess it's all about tube subscribers. At least TB was an obvious choice if your picking YouTube names, he was commentating during E3 promos and made vids when the game was still in alpha. But as far as I know, the other two have no affiliation with the game whatsoever.
  8. Ysanne

The APB Video was not so bad, the only problem is that APB is bad.

The only thing APB was great in, was the customization. SOE, I want to paint my lib pink. I'll pay anything you want for it! ANYTHING!
  9. Locke

The hilarious thing is that with the triple station cash deal not being advertised anyone that spent the money on SC to buy the helmets will feel ripped off when they could of effectively had 66% off rather than 25% if they had waited a couple of days.

To be fair that game looks awful to me so I don't think it mattered who was advertising it.

Personally I quite like SeaNanners as an NC rep and regardless of some peoples skepticism about who watches their channels its a smart move getting PS2 exposed/highlighted to the 3 million + people who subscribe to these guys. That said I think it was a misstep marketing them as "faction leaders" though when quite clearly some established players aren't going to like them. Tobuscus in particular is a love/hate kind of person and the "comedy" will turn some people off.
    • Up x 1
  10. Esxraptor

How about the "log off the www. faction"?

Log off .... emerge from your dark cave and .... experience the "Real" world for a few minutes?

Then log back on :)
  11. fish998

At least TotalBiscuit actually plays the game, and played Planetside 1.
  12. Swordlord

Good grief. All three are Knobulus Maximi. :eek:
    How about if you're in an outfit, you follow the outfit leader? That always seems to work for the best. :cool:
  13. Naberius13

You didn't, that's why there's NC, not that I remember voting for our leader either. Then again, no one asks the Mercenaries for their opinions unless it involves blowing something up yeah?

Seriously, I don't think this is really a major issue, it's an attempt at marketing and screwing around. I'd rather have seen Northern Lion or some of the Retsuprae guys tooling around, hell NL's masochistic enough for this game, but for marketing? Why not hit up some of the bigger youtube gamers.
    • Up x 1
  14. Rothnang

Just more proof that Sony thinks of Vanu as the joke-faction.
  15. Shilak

Is there a 4th option?
  16. Subatomichades

all i have to say is...did he really kiss his 12 year old biceps? i mean seriously? on another note.... i dont ever remember voting them...or even seeing them on the leaderboards.... #FAIL!
  17. Cyridius

They're all under contract with SOE. Go figure.

I thought the Tobuscus part was kinda funny. I think that's what he was going for kissing his biceps and all that ****.

TB actually plays the game and his outfit is the only to actually have reached the player cap(Inside a week aswell).

I don't really like SeaNanners.
  18. Calaban

Agreed on that part. Wouldn't take the whole "leader"-thing too serious. The event is on january and well .. maybe its fun?!
  19. Delax

I was referring to SeaNanners only, not the others. Get your reading comprehension in line you ******* white knight.
  20. medbot544

Never heard these guys, cept maybe TB who I almost never agree with. I guess this proves they are getting paid or at very least being givin bling to suppost this game. On plus side, maybe it will bring people to play with.....instead of just tryin to find the 4 or so enemies left on the map....