[Suggestion] Deployable short-range teleport.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Riftmaster, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Riftmaster

This idea occured to me while driving home from work recently...

Basically, it would be a short-range teleport that an engineer could deploy via the A.C.E., replacing the MANA turret deployable.

It would work thus: Deploy entry unit -> Move more than 100m away, but less than 200m (modify the numbers as necessary for balance) -> deploy exit unit.
    These would basically look like a smaller version of the bottom of the current in-base teleports, and it would have the "teleport zone" appear identical (thus making it easier to find/destroy).

A key aspect of this would be inclusion of an "exclusion zone" much like the S-AMS has. For both the entry and the exit unit. so only 1-2 pairs would be usable per major facility fight, perhaps 3 with very careful placement.

Also, as you might have noted I used the terms "entry unit" and "exit unit" - this teleport should be one-way ONLY.

Limitations could be:
    Only 1 teleport every X seconds (say 5 or something)
    Destruction of one unit causes "feedback" that destroys the other, necessitating replacement of both.
    Costs infantry resources (amount adjustable for balance).
    Tied in with #2, explodes on destruction, potentially taking out any infantry waiting for teleport.
    An infiltrator can hack the unit, which action hacks both units and reverses the teleport direction...*evil grin*.

Feel free to suggest other limitations or changes.
    • Up x 1
  2. LaKroy

I like the idea!
  3. Mercadion

I like also. But is it engineer only? Your faction only? Or can everyone use it?

In other words, can it be used as a fast evac for a small strike force, can just the engineer use it to run? Or if the engineer uses it to escape can a LA or HA follow right behind them?
  4. Goats

I like this idea. I've thought of something similar, except it was a jumppad. This is better, though, it can be used inside as well, and is probably easier to program. I think it should be useable by all factions, though, not just your own.
  5. Ryekir

There was a very similar thing added to the first game at one point, so I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this here as well. :)
  6. axiom537

PS1 had this exact item. It was an infiltrator system and it worked really well. The infiltrator would drop the entrance pad near a spawn point, then they could infiltrate into an enemy base or other area and position the exit pad in a spot that the enemy would not expect and it was a nice way to transport troops into a base or behind enemy lines.
  7. blaze32

+1 for a brilliant idea! Although I think 200 meters is just to extreme, 100 meters would be perfect! also i think all factions should be able to use it and also the infiltrator and engineer classes should be able to use it. I love the idea about reversing it when hacked best twist ever!
  8. Tythes

I also came up with the same idea. However, I thought it would be best used by a light assault since it better fits their play style of being able to circumvent obstacles to lay down teleport pad. It would give light assault a much needed squad utility and would allow for some pretty nifty base assault.
  9. Hxxxollow

Unless it changed near the end, that's not quite how it worked. The first link in the TP was a deployed vehicle, which you then got a teleport pad from. You then took that pad somewhere and placed it. There was a short delay where the apparatus was visible but wouldn't work (so the enemy had chance to destroy it) but then it activated and you could move from the vehicle (which now had a teleport beam) to the deployed pad. The pad and vehicle could be destroyed at any time but only destruction of the vehicle would destroy both ends of the transport. If the pad was destroyed you could still get another from the vehicle.

I forget the name of the vehicle, but I'm sure someone will mention it. It was from the core expansion, anyway.
  10. THX1138

ps2 isn't tf2 :D