Rejoice i7 laptop users!

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by R4g3qu17, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Mansen

Perhaps not - but having a CPU that is upwards of a hundred degrees (Celsius of course) in a laptop is not healthy to the machine at all. Regardless of whether the BIOS shuts down the CPU when IT overheats. There's a difference between "safe levels" and "shutdown levels".
  2. DieScum

i'd want to make sure I had a good thermal paste properly applied on my cpu and gpu before I did this.
  3. AngelSnypz

heh i thought that sorta temps were safe on my old hp dv6. after oh i dont know 10 ish overheats my motherboard was fried and had to get a new laptop. that critical overheat temp shutdown is there to stop overheat damage, correct. however it you are hitting it in quick succession i would be prepared to say goodbye to your laptop. running high 90's it not good for any laptop. but hey its your decision, if it makes the game run fine for you and your willing to risk frying your laptop go for it.
  4. TheEvilBlight

I would probably run some benchmarks and log CPU throttling and see if it really fluctuates as much as OP suggests that it does, before trying something like this blindly. Additionally, stressing the machine and observing if heat buildup is really a problem is helpful before you're ingame and unable to properly monitor your heat settings.
  5. Alexlightning7

Oh my god so much lack of knowledge in this thread.

90 DEGREES IS NOT A SAFE TEMP.
    85 and downwards is safe.

Running constantly at 90 WILL eventually break your laptop.

The cooling system on a good laptop will not let it get to more then 90.
    I would say you have a laptop with bad cooling.
    Laptop components are designed to withstand much more heat then desktops, but when you start going above 90 things are going to break eventually.

The bios will shut it off before you do major damage if the heat builds up to quick, but 20 minutes at above 95 is much more damaging.

It doesn't matter if its the 90s or not, this heat is not good, even with the improved durability of a laptop.

@OP, stopping your processor from throttleing is one thing, but Overclocking(changing the multiplier) when your temps are already on the line is completely stupid.

Get your temps under control first, then try visiting my thread on steam here
    http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3029182

Once your temps are in the low 80s, then evaluate you FPS problems and see what you can do.
    • Up x 1
  6. Mansen

That isn't much better either to be honest - You're less wrong than the people claiming "as long as it doesn't shut down it is safe", but wrong all the same.

It all depends on the Processor itself. Or rather which generation it is and of which make - The latest Ivy processors are rated to around 80-85 I believe as being considered safe temperatures - even if they shut down at over one hundred degrees.
  7. TheEvilBlight

Maybe Intel stress tests their CPUs at 100 centigrade duty cycles over and over again just to see what happens...but the general public has no idea, unless Anandtech or Tom's Hardware does it. I can't imagine the hardware company that wants to be part of a failure-based test since the results always "look" bad and your core metric is intrinsically about failure.
  8. Alexlightning7

Atleast Sandy is 85 degrees.
    And I imagine Ivy.

I know that amd processors have much lower heat tolerances though.

But waiting until the laptop shuts down is definitly dangerous.
  9. LuNaTIcFrEAk

My Dell Precision M6500 i7 620M (work CAD laptop) I can set the CPU throttling options in the advanced power options.

Control Panel\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings > change advanced power options
    processor power management > minimum processor state > plugged in > change to 100%
  10. Alexlightning7

I can do that too, but that doesn't actually stop throttling due to heat, it just makes sure that your processor is going at maximum effectiveness.
  11. LuNaTIcFrEAk

Yea I haven't tried it under high heat, but CPU-Z shows it instantly jumps to full clock speed once I hit apply.
  12. Sliced

This thread is pretty stupid.
    Only a blind idiot would do such a thing to a laptop.
    I have a 2500k @ 4.8Ghz and I would shut the computer down manually if it got to 73C let alone 100C...It normally sits around 63-65C.
    And yes, even I use the throttling feature to extend life and safe money / heat.
    Check Intels website for max safe temps. High temps such as 70-80C are safe for spikes, not constant usage.
    Keep running your laptop or even a desktop at 90C and it WILL fry. I bet the cheap thermo paste will dry up with the constant heat and within seconds your cpu will be cooking faster then the bios can react.

On top of that, the heat is a long term problem. Just because its ok today does not mean it will work tomorrow. I would say running it at those temps for a few months will shave a few years of life from it. You also have to think about your other components. That CPU and GPU will be warming up everything else. Just because your cpu has a safety switch, does not mean your motherboard does. A single chip has to fry, or a spike from the PSU and your laptop will be up in smoke.

Oh also, it will drain the battery extremely quick (that's why they invented throttling). You keep charging your battery then you might as well have a desktop as the battery will be so dead that the laptop wont last 30 mins even under normal usage.

With all that is said, this is a stupid solution and should not be made public, as idiotic sheep will try it just to find out they have fried dad's laptop.
  13. R4g3qu17

*Sigh* So much for helping.

For those wondering about my conflicting posts, I'm now getting 30-40 FPS because I manually tuned the multiplier in throttlestop to strike a balance between heat and performance. I can live with getting anything above 30 FPS.

I now have speedfan for the purposes of forcing my fans to run at 100% constantly, yes it's noisy, but my processor temp hangs around 86 C, just above what I'd consider safe for a Sandy Bridge Core i7. My cooling mat helps with that as well.

After these changes I've had no overtemp shutdowns. Planetside occasionally lag spikes, as the inbuilt throttling will occasionally drop the clock to bring the processor back to that 86 C temp. One thing that also helped with this was enabling the BD PROCHOT option, basically to allow the throttling to occur if the GPU hits dangerous temperatures.

Do you understand how Lithium ion batteries work? Keeping a lithium battery at full charge constantly shortens their working life, unlike a Ni-Cad. This is why I occasionally unplug my laptop and let the battery drain while surfing, then plug it back in to recharge. If anything, throttlestop will increase your Li-ion battery's service life.

Really? Seriously? What about us 'sheep' who own our own machines, have done the research and found the risk is worth the reward? Nice broad statement you've got there, I think I made it fairly clear that none of the solutions I have found and posted are without risk. If people want to try it, it's of their own volition, not mine, and they have to take responsibility.

Yes, you have to be careful. It's up to you how much stress you put your machine under when running any game. Throttlestop is a tool to be used by those willing to take the risk. I'm one of them. I suppose it helps that since my laptop is out of warranty, I opened it up a few months ago to replace my thermal paste after an overheating incident that had nothing to do with PS2 or throttlestop.
  14. Sliced

For you to say it is safe will give the impression to other people that it is also safe, and it is not.
    There are people out there who are so desperate for a cheap performance boost that they will try anything, without knowing any of the risks. Simply because you said it works, well it must also work for me and Bob sitting on my right.
    As you said, the risk is worth the reward. You tell me that again when you have no laptop.

Throttling was built for a reason, and it was not to annoy the user.

Let me give you an instant. I overclocked my machine after doing many months of research and days of testing. I would NEVER give anyone the settings I used or help anyone to overclock their own, and its been like that since 775. Why? because its stupid to do so.

Intel has said 73.2C Tcase is my highest safe temp with a voltage of 1.35V and I have done everything within my power to stay within those limits, and I would always advise others to do so.
    Then you come along and say 80C+ constant usage is fine on a LAPTOP, a kid runs it and and pop goes the computer.
    but why did it do that? You and someone else said you ran it and it's fine, there was no reason for it to happen.

There are some things in this world you just keep to yourself.
  15. OwensWhitcroft

Wow, that's pretty crazy hot there for your unit there, mine runs no hotter than 80C even without the use of programs to increase the fan speed, I'm sure you've cleaned out your vents and such. But back to the point of the program, gave this a shot on my computer and there is a very noticeable increase in all the games I play, not just isolated to PS2. In PS2 alone, even in large battles in the Bio-Labs I am getting a solid 50FPS after this, were before it would dip down to 20-25FPS during heated battles.
  16. Lavans

You gravely overestimate the amount of heat mobile components put out, and clearly have very little understanding of how hardware components work.
  17. Mansen

It's kind of hard to overestimate a probe temperature of just shy of a hundred degrees - Don't forget that most processors are actually hotter at their cores, so add another ten degrees to that one.

Add to that the very limited space available in a laptop (We ARE talking laptops here after all - desktops is an entirely different and much broader thing with many more variables) and you've got yourself a pressure cooker. If the CPU doesn't trigger a shutdown, most likely one of the bridges will give up from the ambient heat that the laptop cannot keep up with in terms of cooling.
  18. Lavans

Yes yes, that's all well and fine. However, without being rude, you seem to be one of those paranoid types that thinks that higher than (personally) desired temps could cause damage. I say this because all you're doing in your post is speculating and not considering the technical facts.

Mobile i7 processors have a TDP of 45w, as specified by Intel. What is also specified by Intel is that the CPU should not exceed 100c. This is referencing the fastest i7 mobile processor on the market http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_i7/Intel-Core i7-3840QM Mobile processor - AW8063801103800 - BX80638I73840QM.html

With that information, computer manufacturers construct their systems accordingly. They're not idiots, like how you paint them to be. They know what a processor can and cannot handle when designing a cooling system for laptops and mobile components. How do they know this? Because Intel tells them!

If you did your homework, you will know that most mobile i7 processors do not run any hotter than 85c at full load. This can be verified through numerous notebook reviews as well as user posts in notebook specific forums. Those temps will not cause any damage to the CPU or motherboard over the course of the laptop's natural lifespan. The system's GPU is more likely to fail before the CPU even comes close to failing.

Furthermore, regardless if throttling is enabled or not, the motherboard will automatically start to downclock the CPU if a fan speed of 100% fails to keep the processor cool. The likelihood of the system actually shutting down to prevent heat damage to a CPU is slim to none thanks to all the precautions that motherboard manufacturers install on their products. If the system does happen to shut down to prevent heat damage, then the odds are that the airflow is clogged or the cooling system is faulty. Fans aren't the only cooling devices in laptops. They also have heatsinks and heatpipes (heatpipes being made of hollow metal tubes with high thermal resistance that contains liquid. IE - A poor man's water cooling system).

And here I am, repeating myself. I've had throttling disabled on my gaming laptop for over a year. Often, I spend 2 hours a day gaming on it, and typically use it to encode videos overnight as I sleep. If disabling throttling could cause damage to a system, then mine would already be fried.

In addition to all that, since I doubt you're entirely familiar with what turbo boost is and why a laptop will throttle, allow me to educate you. Rather than being a system that's designed to preserve the life of a CPU (as what most people here believe), it is in fact a power management feature that's new to Intel. http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/embedded/hwsw/technology/power-management#overview
    The reason why mobile i7 laptops throttle in PS2 is because the system does not recognize PS2 as an application that requires the additional processing power that Turbo Boost offers, which is why laptops frequently throttle in this game. In addition to that, there is no way to permanently disable throttling without permanently disabling Turbo Boost. Even if you run Throttlestop, and your laptop is on battery mode, throttling will still kick in to preserve power, even with the power management settings set to performance. Trust me, this is something I've been battling for a while with my own system, and I personally hate the fact that I cannot use my laptop's full performance on battery.

All that said and done, I'm not sure why I even bothered putting out the effort to type all this up. It's fairly obvious that the nay sayers here have no personal experience when it comes to gaming laptops, much less have ever owned one. I know that my words will fall on the deaf ears of the ignorant. My only is that people who do own gaming laptops ignore the sheer level of stupidity in this thread and start looking into the facts.
    • Up x 1
  19. Mansen

All you're doing is repeating the entire thread, Lavans.

I DO have a 2500K - I DO have years of experience with overclocking, and I DO happen to know my ****.

What you fail at is assuming that I'm poking fun at the manufacturers - I am not. If you'd actually bother to read my posts, you'd notice that I'm flogging the end user for even letting their laptops reach upwards of a hundred celcius. I am not speculating anything other than what has been provided (people's assumed first hand experiences in the thread)

Throttling doesn't stop a processor from reaching unhealthy temperatures, regardless of having your fans run at maximum voltage ratings. At least this is not the case for most laptops - desktops (as always) are a different matter. Too many cooling variables to make any safe guesses.
  20. Lavans

Congratulations. You have a desktop CPU and you went into your BIOS, hit + a couple times on the frequency/boost and voltages, and call yourself knowledgeable. That does not inherently mean you understand hardware components, nor does it mean you understand the technology and methodologies behind mobile components. I'm not directing this just at you, I'm directing this at everyone who says "disabling throttling is bad".