[Suggestion] Can you please get a font change? (to help with stopping hackers)

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by h3xist, Dec 15, 2012.

1. h3xist

Can we please have the uppercase letter " i " changed so it does not look like a lowercase " L "? A lot of hackers are using long names with numbers and a mixture of Uppercase " i " and lowercase " L ".

Example: L1I0l00I1lIl

If you change the case on it then you will see that this name is "L1i0L00i1LIL" but we can't tell what is an i and what is an L because the two letters are the same in the font used.

Please can you have that part of the font changed or allow us to copy and paste names from the chat so we can report them? I know that it's a relatively small thing, but it would help us a lot in the end.
    • Up x 2
  2. VengefulGhost

I actually ran into the same Hacker today, on Helios. He was fighting in The Crown for hours. Everyone on all sides (Terran, Vanu, and NC) Noticed him, pointed out he was speed-hacking.

Nobody could type his name to report him.

L1|0O001O|1....etc...something like that.

REALLY annoying.

It would be great to be able to copy/paste or click on names in chat to take actions.
    • Up x 1
  3. Scorch Draken

Well, that's an issue with reading anything on a computer. So if this is causing a hacking issue, then it should be fixed in my opinion.

Basically trying to read that is like trying to know which is which in this sequence of "letters" (they're practically just vertical lines) that I'm going to put down.
    I = i
    l = L

sequence: IlIIIIlllIlIlIlllIIIIIIIIlllll

could anyone guess what it is? I don't even know, because I did it at random, but it's easier to tell if I did it like this:

sequence: iiiLLiLLiLiiLiiiiiLLLiLiiL

It can make such things easier to read, but for hacking, I have no idea what it's for. I'm sorry if this doesn't help you, but at least I tired.
    • Up x 1
  4. SongOfDiscord

I totally know what you mean.

This guy L1l1ll00l0010l00l00o killed me (and the three people standing next to me) in zero seconds flat. Three times. I tried all capital i's and all lower case L's but neither of these worked.

Since there are 6 "I"s in this username there is a total of 64 (2 to the power of 6=64) possible user names that this person could be using. The only way to report this person for sure is to type in all 64 possibilities.

He is obviously exploiting the system to make himself very difficult to report.
  5. Katana

hackers love the /report feature.

because it doesn't work.
    • Up x 2
  6. Vorenius

A font change or a copy option would be nice.
    • Up x 1
  7. sharks

I support this idea.
    • Up x 1
  8. Beefmusta

Even if the font were changed such that these kind of names were more readable, having to type out their name manually to report them is needlessly slow and painful.

What would be better is some interface/screen where you can view a list of all players in the local area, then right-click their name to report them. Or alternatively, right-click their names in the chat/death log to bring up a menu with a report option.
    • Up x 1
  9. h3xist

I would like to have this option as well, but if they did the font change and the copy and paste function, it would at least give us something until a better reporting system is added to the game. I would still love to have the better interface for the TAB menu (score screen) that would let us see and report people with in our area. +1 to you.
    • Up x 1
  10. Krona

I don't understand stuff like this. People have been using names like that for AT LEAST 15 years, and still no game that I can think of has made a font that is easy to read, or even better, automatically blocked names like that because they are obviously going to be griefing. Seriously, no one names themselves LLLIIILLIIIILLLLIILLI just because.
    • Up x 1
  11. Imnuktam

I remember writing up this same post. It was TEN FK!NG YEARS AGO IN PS1!

Is a font change really that difficult? Also asked for hyperlinks in name spam so you could just click on that to report someone. Both very easy changes brought up over a decade ago, yet here we are with the same stupid font that was abused for years in the original game, and the same stupid problem that even Forest Gump could have seen coming based on SOE's lack of doing ANYTHING whatsoever to change a system that was being abused.
    • Up x 1
  12. h3xist

The problem is that it's such a small detail and it's something that doesn't have any change or function with the gameplay that it falls to the way side during development. On top of that it only REALLY 2-3 symbols in the font files: Uppercase " i " and lowercase " L ", Uppercase " O " and the number 0 (sometimes, it really depends on the font), and the a double " V " and a " W " (again depends on the font file used]). Uppercase double " V " and " W " really isn't to hard to tell for the most part ( VV W [not to hard to tell but still similar) but it's very difficult to tell when it comes to the lowercase version ( vv w [very hard to tell unless you have a wider spacing on your fonts]).

Again the problem is that it doesn't change gameplay and it's one of the smallest details... Then again it's always the smallest detail that can have some of the largest impacts on something.

I'm not saying that changing the font is going to stop hackers, but it should hopefully make it easier to report. In turn this should make some people have a second thought about hacking in the game.
    • Up x 1
  13. IonEngine97

Better idea, make the usernames/stationnames have requirements just like passwords: fewer than 3 numbers, a certain minimum of textual letters, no more than two special characters (just enough to use brackets to identify clans), no more than a certain number of characters, and systems that ignore case-sensitivity regarding player names (since they don't allow it during name creation why not ignore it in reporting?).
  14. IonEngine97

If they stuck with Times New Roman, or any serif style font with the small fancy details that makes all the above cases/characters stand out like the difference between night&day, black&white, threads like these wouldn't exist. Scum wouldn't be able to exploit lazy developers' oversight sooo easily and wouldn't bother with stupid names. Tthey really don't require any thought, just like subscribing $10-20/month to a hacking mod to turn the game into a ******** movie (dumb, really this PC'ness is ******* ******edly gay- people who are seriously mentally challenged are that, people who are intentionally dumb are ********) where you just launch and watch and troll. They'd be reported upon sight of joining a match- "Oh look it's 100110101..." {dozens of reports are made in 20 seconds, admin message appears} [ADMIN]: " 100110101 kicked and banned for life for being a useless, souless, terd with nothing to do other than leach off thier parents/taxpayers and kill the fun of video games"
  15. rhilir

there a ton of vs hackers doing this and ruining everyone day with those stupid kind of names, only seem them on vs so far. And there no way to report them so they just destoy the game.
  16. Limabean

Read somewhere here you can just spot and hold to send a message, then just delete the tell part and change it to report
    no typing jibberish. In reality I dont know how well that works with enemies as they will have you dead before you can do that possibly, but easy if you are on same side.
  17. h3xist

==== Post Deleted due to stupidity and misreading a post... my bad :(===
    ~h3xist
  18. IonEngine97

With some trial in error, and 5-10 minutes in 'purgatory' before redploying, I was able to get one of the L1lO0lO010lOlO0o '***** reported and passed it on to a friend also in the match. A few others were able to eventually get it too. But how effective is the reporting system really? Do they need hundredds of reports before investigating? and they have littel clue as to waht teh reporting is for. Report them for what: Racism/extreme hate spread in chat? Crudeness? Becuase some thought it would be a funny joke to report someone? Dial 911 because McDonald's dind't serve what they wanted? Glicthing (in other words "keep fixing the game, it's still not complete"? Hacking? SOE will be wasting thier own time simply trying to figure out what players were doing to cuase other players to report them. We need to be able to select a player in-game through teh GUI to access a community profile of some sort in-game (many other games have been doing this for a few years now), then report them throught the use of a checkbox or radio button with at minimum either "report for hacking", and/or "report for violating policies"
  19. Tasogie

Be careful guys, It seems you will be banned for standing up an asking for something real to be done.... It's likely I will be for trying to have a hacker banned so dont get yourselves into that position.
    • Up x 2
  20. Warruz

while i agree for the font change, they are able to find hackers if you have a position by looking through logs. So just make sure you report the area if you cant get the name right.