Either netcode or hit detection needs to change.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ghostfox, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Ghostfox

Getting sick and tired of dieing when I make it to cover or around a corner because hit detection is client side of the attacker and netcode cant handle it properly.
    • Up x 3
  2. itsreadyshipit

I agree, happens quite a lot to me as well. I don't think they want people to know their connection quality or they would have added an in game ping display. I've manually pinged my server and it showed sub 100ms average, but that really doesn't mean anything since they could just route ICMP traffic to a computer who's only responsibility is to give ping replys with low latency.
  3. lsp1

^ This, happens all the time super annoying. Just like bf3.
  4. eXhale

Happens a lot to me as well, incredibly frustrating. Has a huge impact on dogfighting as well.
  5. Skurcey

It's a MMO dude, not a 32 players shooter
  6. Ghostfox

Which makes netcode efficiency all that much more important. They decided to go with a low TTK model so they need to fully support it which means fixing BS like this.
    • Up x 1
  7. phungus420

Yep, it's a game breaking bug. Especially in a game that has such a short TTK. That and the rubberbanding are a bad combo.
  8. Achmed20

i'll second this
  9. Ghostfox

Just because this is important.
  10. Flarestar

The rendering distance issues, netcode update frequency, and hit detection are all part of the same problem, and short of a generation leap in hardware and/or them recoding massive portions of the game's core functionality they aren't going away. All three issues are here to stay in one form or another, unfortunately.
  11. Ghostfox

Then they should adjust the game to accommodate something that cannot be fixed.
  12. Fligsnurt

And this is because they both use client side hit detection. Sure it looks great on paper but tied in with both games low TTK its an utter travesty for the defending end. You have no chance to defend yourself, trash decision over all. But can't expect it to change because that would be a massive over haul in the "balance". >.>

Comepletely true as unfortunate as it is. Either we play and get frustrated by this issue and rage for a while or we just avoid the problem all together and never play the game.
  13. Jac70

I've been playing this evening and this issue was really putting a dampener on proceedings. It seems when the server gets congested the lag between actions can get really delayed.

I had a few situations where I made it to cover and died anyway. I even had a few situations where I had gotten into the safety of a spawn room, well inside the door and then died to NC MAX weapons It could be that having 2000 players on a server is just too much load for current gen hardware but I hope improvements can be made.
  14. InducedApathy

Yea happens a ton with laggers.
  15. Metalsand

New patch made this even worse. You can die from someone killing you even seconds after you've killed them. Not fractions of a second, but whole seconds after they die. They made it less sensitive in the last patch.
  16. Ghostfox

Had this happen as well.