What about a return of bases more like PS1?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by irewolf, Dec 14, 2012.

1. irewolf

What if you added under ground sections to bases that contained Gens/Spawn tubes that was more akin to PS1. This would pretty much insta solve spawn camping, bases being rolled by attackers, only to then be rolled back again by the ones that were defending a second ago and the general "If you aren't in a vehicle your doing it wrong".

All bases in the game are currently an easy farm for attackers and a hard death fest for defenders. It has gotten to the point where people don't bother defending, they just let it flip and come back later when they can attack and win/farm.

As I meantion in the title, in PS1 bases had the gens and spawn rooms under ground, so there were multiple exits/entrances. Gens were under ground and attackers had to seige the base first before entering on foot and thats when we got down to the real infantry fighting. This could really work in PS2 if you just make it happen.

Thing is you could still have some open bases and such, but, I think making certain large parts of bases completely inaccessable to vehicles and vehicle fire is sort of a must.

In fact, I was sitting on a tower the other day and thinking, who made these structures, I get it from a game design point of view, but I mean, from a military defense point of view. Who went "I'm going to design a military base with all these open holes on towers and defense platforms that just stick out with no cover and such" doesn't make logical sense. I get that the devs wanted a more open style combat, which is cool, but, I thnk you have gone too far in that direction and forgtten that close quarters combat has a place here too.

Just, think how cool it would be if we had, just like in PS1, mega pretty under ground tunnels and such. They could have more big open rooms and such linking them, but I really think this would help massively to address the infantry problem at the moment, as well, as the lack of defense for bases.
    • Up x 3
  2. Rivenshield

Forgelight doesn't allow for underground anything yet. No tunnels, subterranean bunkers, etc. Sorry.

It would be nice to have smaller walled bases that we could actually defend, yes. But you're going to have to ask for them without bringing up the old game, or you'll get ignored.
  3. irewolf

Why without bring up the old game? I'm just wondering. I mean, it's Planetside 2, so surely what was good about the old game should be inculded?
  4. Imnuktam

I would love to have one of the old continents back exactly as it was in ps1.

Same layout, same lattice same bases etc.

The devs seem to think they simply must divorce themselves from anything ps1 related. If they had an entire continent in here that was copy/pasted from ps1 they would see just how wrong that angle is.

People would flood it and be waiting in the que everyday. Then maybe they would start reimaginig the game that started it all, had more people playing at launch, more people playing 3 weeks after launch despite the fact that it was NOT ftp and still has people playing it right now.

People who say PS1 was a failure and play this better hope they are wrong, it was doing better than ps2 is at this point in its life.
    • Up x 1
  5. Crashsplash

I think you have to work into the calculation that the bases and towers on ps1, as good as they were, were designed for a much lower continental population than those of PS2 are.
  6. irewolf

Agreed, but, as I mention in my post they wanted more open bases, but, they aren't just more open they are completely open. I just think a mix of the two would be the ideal.
  7. QuantumMechanic

Higby has said in a recent interview that Oshur is one of the continents on the list to be made next year, and that as an experiment they are going to replicate it just as it was in PS1. I mean the original Oshur, not the battle islands version.
    • Up x 5
  8. Isila

If PS2 players complain about getting grieflocked now, I'd hate to see what would happen if they were put into PS1-style zerged lobby or stairwell defenses.

Just think. We don't even have plasma thumpers anymore (or plasma grenades period, for that matter), and people STILL manage to get locked for doing too much friendly fire.

That said, I'd love to see some PS1-style infantry-centric bases again. The PS2 bases are all so open and easily-infiltrated from so many angles.
    • Up x 1
  9. bPostal

Riven, like many of us, are a little bitter as we feel that there's not enough 'Planetside' in our Planetside 2.
    On the topic of bringing them back, keep in mind we have no doors now and the TTK is much much lower. Imagine a proper stairwell fight in a tech plant, from the CC at the top to the tubes at the bottom. Chaos!
    I would love to see them come back but at least SOME change would have to occur.
  10. irewolf

The players getting grief locked are idiots. I'm sorry, but, it's true. Even after I freindly fire all over the place in alib for a few days, only once have I gotten the elevated grief warning and that was down to me being stupid. They can see from thier stats how many people are grief locked and I really don't think it's that high.

When I say like the old bases, I don't mean exactly the same, there would be too many choke points, but, it would be nice if bases were more defendable, objectives such as gens were more defendable, and at least certain bits of the game were more infantry focused.
  11. Harry Beavers

• Up x 2
  12. irewolf

100% agreed.

When I say like the old bases. I do mean, LIKE. There would have to changes, as I have mentioned the PS1 bases were old tech and a bit too claustrophobic. However, something with a similar style, but, on a larger scale would be neat. I mean, it could be corridors/stairwells that open out into bigger rooms with walk ways etc. The main thing however, is that there is a clear distinction between INSIDE and OUTSIDE. That is, inside a guy might shoot you, not a tank/aircraft. Outside, or near an outside entrance, then fair game.
    • Up x 1
  13. Imnuktam

That would be incrdibly awesome. Oshur was one of my favorites before they destroyed the crap out of it in that meteor shower. While I did enjoy the bubblegum kush more because of the meteor shower, I really missed my continent after that.
  14. bPostal

You'd probably like Harry thread, which is linked above and Figment's thread, which is linked <<<
    • Up x 1
  15. LordBelak(!)

I like the tech plant in Harry Beavers signature.
    • Up x 3
  16. Takoita

17. Revanmug

People dislike Tech Farm with a passion. Having the very thing that people hated spread across an entire underground complex sounds sooo great. Metroll 2.0 inc.
  18. ClusterBomb

Yh they need to start looking at PS1 for success.
    Alot of people are playing PS2 becuase they loved PS1 and though PS2 was gonna be a remake of PS1, but instead, it is nothing like it. They should get rid of the Planetside name on PS2 cause it doesn't feel like a PS1 game,.
    • Up x 1
  19. Yil

Eh, if they're anything like the PS1 choke-point fest that was indoors combat I'd rather keep it the way it is.
  20. PersonalRiot

PS1 Engine didn't do tunnels either until core combat which I am pretty sure is smoke and mirrors. Just hollow out the terrain with the mapping tool and plop down a PS1 base into the chasm. Mind you it is inefficient to have terrain under a base, but it can just not be materials mapped(transparent). You don't need to build tunnels through the terrain via editor. That would be insane amount of work for testing.
    • Up x 2