Why is there so much hate for the Gauss SAW?

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Tekone, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Kyutaru

Important thing to remember for anyone new to the Gauss SAW -- when you ADS with it, try and stand still.

Standing still, the Gauss SAW is phenomenally accurate, with the most accurate first shot for an LMG in the game. Strafing with the Gauss SAW turns it into the LEAST ACCURATE LMG in the game, which essentially trashes the entire point of using it in the first place.
  2. VAND0R

(There is hate because its very very powerful so if you don’t miss it’s a 100 mag **** flipin machine)
  3. Bogasu

4. MurderBunneh

I have a razor Deathadder I macroed the right click to turn my shield on and off. So when I scope in my shield is automatically on. This and my SAW mean I kill almost anybody 1 on 1. I use the silencer adv grip NV/scope at all times. The NV/scope decreases your view range but the range you do have is right in the SAW's wheelhouse. And for me having that white silhouette to aim for with no extra flashes etc. turns me into a real murderer.
    Everybody saying don't go mid range with this I don't get it. Sh*t just dies when I engage them 12-100 meters.

I had been using the 22s but really it is just an inferior version of the TR/VS guns so I said to myself I need to find a way to make my faction weapons work in my favor. I am glad I did it the SAW drops people that think they can just spray me and win.
    • Up x 2
  5. Beltway

I personally don't like the gun. Yes it's strong and has some good stopping power but I feel the gun controls me as opposed to me controlling it. I have the compensator, advance forward grip ( mysteriously added by devs after enough complaints) and the weapon still gets away from me half the time.

I strictly use the GD-22S now and I have no complaints.
  6. Achmed20

the saw is ... well i dont know. it does awesome damage but i hate that im forced to burst with it.
    after the first 3-5 bullets, the gun starts shooting in all directions except the one you are pointing at.
  7. Mootar

The Guass Saw fully upgraded with a 4x trueshot scope is the best gun in the game imo, 2600 kills and counting.
    Doesn't feel like it needs a buff from where im sitting.
  8. ent|ty

Indeed. The SAW works fine. I really don't understand what people are talking about saying its underpowered or w/e.
    Thats the ticket,I burst fire a lot to conserve ammo at longer ranges, but open her up wide in close-combat. Try that tactic, and maybe you will change your mind. I was using it properly and didn't even realize it.
  9. Kyutaru

New reason to hate the Gauss SAW included in this latest patch. Previously it was the most accurate burst fire LMG and good at ranged combat with the high standing accuracy and high bullet damage. Now you can bunny hop like mad with it in CQC and still land shots. It's awesome, you screw with people's aim especially good players who are trying to land head shots, all the while pelting them with high shot damage and being relatively resistant to flinching because of the extra misses.

The Gauss SAW - A bunnyhopper's wet dream.
    • Up x 1
  10. Dakkaface

This issue is mostly that Heavies are viewed, both by new players and quite a lot of current players, as the assault class - first into the fight, best for pushing forward in meatgrinders. Their bullet hose primary + damage absorbing shield mechanic reinforces this image. The problem is that 2 empires get a good straight up bullet hose that is good at medium range and is also decent at CQC, making their heavies able to do this. NC gets a default LMG that's good at medium range and decent at long range, and awful at CQC, making it bad at assaults.

NC players see kill after kill where the enemy is a heavy using a CARV or an Orion, and ask, why doesn't my LMG do that? We lose CQC fights and think our heavy is useless. It's not, but frankly, the CARV and Orion are much more new player friendly and are better at the perceived role of heavies while the SAW is a ghetto sniper/better battle rifle rather than an actual squad automatic weapon.
    • Up x 1
  11. TheBloodEagle

BS about the SAW being a ghetto sniper/battle rifle. It pretty much owns now, even if you shoot first. at close range and long range. Once you get hit and your screen shakes, you're screwed.
  12. W01fe

hmm, maybe i wont have to outfit the em1 then for CQ :p
  13. Athessu

I wish people would stop using the "shoot first" logic as an argument. If I shoot first and land the first shot before they start firing with literally 'any' weapon I am likely to win the engagement, that doesn't prove or disprove anything. Implying that firing first and screen shaking somehow benefit you more than anybody else who is able to shoot first with any other gun is just irritating.

You could argue screen shake actually punishes you more than a guy with a carv/orion (In a situation where you are both equally skilled and firing at each other) because every missed shot due to screen shake is more lost damage than them, and any amount of time spent on target is equally going to statistically spit out more bullets and more damage at that target than the gauss saw.

I'm not against arguing that the SAW has a purpose and isn't as bad as it is made out to be, but it is by no means a close combat beast, you will occasionally lose out on kills you would have made with a higher rate of fire LMG; but mostly it will be (as always) down to your personal skill, choosing the right tool for the job will supplement that.
  14. Cassidia

Why would the Orion be better for full auto than the CARV?
    Anyhow, you should not forget how subjective weapon handling is. Everytime i switch to my TR char and try the CARV again i could BET that its a lot more precise than the Orion. Wich according to the weapon stats it isnt.
    And concerning the Orion to be an "easy weapon": with only 50 shots a clip its dangerously close to AR and carbines, and it has lots of disadvantages compared to those two weapon types
  15. Kyutaru

You mean besides the VS in general being a better faction for fullauto spam? It's the way the factions are balanced, VS can sustain fullauto much better than other factions. But the point was more towards the rather unique movement speed bonus the Orion features while ADSing along with it being a true CQC weapon (hence the 50 clip) which defaults it to fullauto even further. The TR equivalent is the MSW-R, you can try and spray with the CARV, but if you're killing people with it, it's because the other guy is missing a lot (mostly from the twitching).

The VS faction in general has easy to fire weapons. Their disadvantages exist elsewhere, which makes it a friendly faction for RPG fans and people who rarely play shooters. It has a lower learning curve than trying to pound years of recoil handling and burst fire into your muscle memory. Likewise, the NC has the highest learning curve and is really only recommended for experienced players.
  16. Cassidia

That may or may not be true. Its not an explanaition but just a statement.
    I do agree that the Orion is the better gun for firing on the move due to the better ADS-movement speed factor and slightly better accuracy while moving.
    However i do disagree about it being better for full auto. The CARV has the same recoil as the Orion and a slightly lower first shot modifier. But most importantly the low ammo capacity of the Orion strictly forbids using full auto all the time, or you will find yourself with an empty clip or even out of ammo EXTREMELY fast. The CARV doesn't have this limitation.
    I also do agree the NC has a high learning curve, but with all weapons that i've tried so far, VS and TR weapons seem to handle quite comparable.
  17. Kyutaru

I've explained this too many times in other topics to educate willful disbelievers when the information already exists in topics that actually focus on VS lmgs (which this topic does not, you're off-topic). That's why you'll not be receiving detailed information here.

- VS weapons have the lowest recoils, highest velocities, best mobility, and lack bullet drop entirely. Ranged fullauto fire is superior for them with higher damage falloff being the balance factor.
    - The Orion is the VS CQC weapon, the CARV is the TR all-arounder. Comparing the two as equals is only cementing the idea that VS has the edge in fire control, and the Orion will suffer extra damage falloff at long ranges. You're comparing the wrong weapons thinking they're supposed to be equivalent.
    - Compared to the TR CQC weapon the MSW-R, the Orion has better velocity/bullet drop, faster reload, ADS move bonus, and better recoil handling (average vs right-aligned). They both have the same 50-round clip.

The reason people like the Orion is because it has the precision of a midrange weapon but the ROF and performance of a CQC weapon. The reason people like the CARV is because it has the performance of a midrange weapon but the TR bonus of higher ROF makes it not bad in CQC either. Due to the factional bonuses of each weapon, they become similar in stats despite being different in purpose, but as stated above, the Orion outperforms the CARV while moving. Nearly 90% of CQC encounters occur while you're moving, movement improves evade rate, and the Orion is without a doubt a mobile CQC weapon. At longer range encounters, the lack of bullet drop retains accuracy on the Orion where the CARV must adjust for distance, again allowing the Orion to surpass it in fullauto accuracy. If you need more than 50 rounds to kill someone, and aren't satisfied with the shortest LMG reload time in the game, I have no words for you.