GTX 660TI or GTX 670

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Pella, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Pella

Both within my price range. And i wont go ATI.

670 is only 10% Better performance. But i plan to OC it. And i read that the 670 is better performance at my native resolution 1920x1080. Thoughts?

Option 1: £237

2GB MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition OC, 28nm, 6008MHz GDDR5, GPU 1019MHz, Boost 1097MHz, Cores 1344 +Free Games [Assasins Creed] [Borderlands 2]

Option 2: £311

2GB EVGA GTX 670 FTW Signature II, 28nm, PCIe 3.0 (x16), 6208MHz GDDR5, GPU 1006MHz, Cores 1344, +Free Games [Assasins Creed] [Borderlands 2]

My current system is

I5 2500K OCed @ 4.6ghz
    16GB RAM
    MSI GTX 460 Oced.
    Windows 8

I am running PS2 on Medium settings 1920x1080 and get 60fps+ in most cases.
  2. Mansen

Like I always say - go for the cheaper one if the performance difference is so little. You can spend the money you saved on the next generation of cards or better cooling for your case.
  3. Pella

Dont need anything else really. And i will end up SLIing them in a few months anyway.
  4. Crazedmonk86

If you play ANY other graphically intense game besides this mess of failed optimization get the GTX 670! If all you play is PS2 the 660TI will serve you just fine but I would not waste money SLI'ing a mid range card. If you plan on SLI get a 670 they scale better and they are the best bang for the buck(unless your poor)
  5. Paulus

Personaly, i'm getting the GTX 670, although i'll be getting the Asus Direct CU II Top version, Tests have shown it to only be 7% slower than the almighty GTX 680, which frankly makes it one of the best value for money graphics cards around.

One thing you may want to bare in mind, you won't see the best from any of the 6 series GTX cards unless your motherboard supports PCIe 3.0, so check your MB specs. Also, make sure your power supply is up to the job if you go for the GTX670, its basicly two GPU processor cards on one plate, so you need some serious PSU behind it.
  6. SmokingKills

The 660 ti only has 192-bit memory interface...(won't pretend I know what that really amounts to but it's a limiting factor)

Quoted from Tomshardware 660ti review
    "Our last few comments concern the 660 Ti's 192-bit memory interface. Our benchmarks show that this can really put Nvidia's GeForce GTX 660 Ti at a disadvantage, even at 1920x1080 and without obscene texture detail settings. Whether or not you run into a performance problem depends mostly on the game you're playing. In general, though, the card really starts to run out of steam at anti-aliasing settings at and beyond 4x MSAA. This is too bad, since the GPU goes underutilized at that point. The problem is unique to this card. None of the other Kepler-based boards experience it. We're not saying the GeForce GTX 660 Ti is a bad card, but there are competing configurations that demonstrate better balance."
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,review-32522.html

I'd go 670
  7. SmokingKills

Couldn't help it...think you need to check those facts bud, from what I read PCI-E version makes little difference...
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html

And I think you mean the 690 is two gpus put together.
  8. Pella

My PCU is fine and My mobo supports 3.0. Thanks though. Gonna go for the 670, But will look into the Asus one.
  9. s1n1573r

What you talking about Willis the 670 is excellent on power consumption...
  10. Pella

11. TeknoBug

The difference betwen PCI-E 2 and 3 aren't that much different yet.

Go witht he 670, I'm surprised it's that cheap, I thought you'd be paying closer to 360 pounds for one of those.
  12. Joshinya42

The throughput difference between 2and 3 is enough to justify assuring pci-e3 compatibility imo
  13. Ruxxis

Either card should be fine for PS2 at 1920x1080.

An overclocked GTX 460 is not a bad card for PS2.
    Is your GTX 460 even running at 99-100% gpu usage in large battles?
    Why are you upgrading your graphics card?
    to get more fps in battle? to get more fps out of battle?

With some optimization, you should be able to run some settings on high or ultra without buying a new graphics card.
    Try settings shadowquality and floraquality to low or off. fogshadows off. RenderDistance to approximately 1000-2000.
    That will hopefully put your gpu usage below 99% in big battles.
    From there, you might be able to increase a few of your favourite settings to high or ultra.

Do you have a SSD? If you dont, then consider buying one.
  14. TeknoBug

I don't think ANYONE's card is hitting that high in huge battles.
  15. Stringz

I run an i7 920 OC to 3.2 and just upgraded to a Asus GTX 660 TI and for my resolution (1680x1050) I run almost high everything (mid shadows, mid flora, max view scale, no motion blur, no ambient occlusion) and tend to switch between CPU and GPU bound at ~90-100 FPS running stock on the GPU. The memory bandwidth is only an issue if you run a really high resolution with high textures.
  16. Pella

Running avout 80% in big fights and 60/70% as standard.

Gonna upgrade. The 460 has served me well. But intend to get the best card that i can afford for PS2 and future games.
  17. MaddBomber

18. Pella

19. SmokingKills

yea it will run just as good...theres hardly any difference. Just get the best card you can afford and you will be good to go

edit...read the link I posted..the conclusion should give you the info you need...theres very little difference

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI-Express_Scaling/24.html

This part
    "The new PCI-Express 3.0 interface can provide around 1% performance boost for both HD 7970 and GTX 680. While this confirms that both cards provide working support for Gen 3, such a small improvement is clearly not worth worrying about. It certainly does not warrant buying a new processor or motherboard. PCI-Express is forward and backward compatible, so any PCI-Express graphics card will work in any motherboard's PCI-Express slot, no matter which version each component supports."

No disrespect to 660ti owners...but if you can afford the 670 then that should be the card you go for if those are the two cards you are choosing between, the 256 bit memory interface on the 670, compared with the 192 bit on the 660ti will give you better results when using AA or resolutions from 1080p and beyond

Source Page 17 the conclusion: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/geforce-gtx-660-ti-memory-bandwidth-anti-aliasing,review-32522-17.html
    • Up x 1
  20. Pella

Much Appreacited. Its decided then.
    • Up x 1