SOE Thank you for allowing multiple factions per server

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Consili, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Ronin Oni

I think they were broadcasting everytime they banned someone.... the intervals didn't seem regular.

They broadcasted a lot lol
  2. Tasogie

thing is mate, they are not, because they are rank 1s on your own team, so they come up behind you, shoot you an your team mates then log off... instantly your entire defense is dead.... or do we now shoot every rank 1 we see on our side. ? Just in case....
  3. Ronin Oni

^This...

but... the rest of what he said sounded like he was agreeing with me. That you just play for fun and don't really care what other people do (short of uber-cheating really)

And griefers are just griefers. Just /report and move on. Oh, and vengeance can be a fun game all it's own.
    • Up x 1
  4. Tasogie

No it isnt, how can you say its fun to turn the entire game into deathmatch. Where your own side are so busy killing each other, that we lose constantly. Fact is, the griefers who log over to tk have the ability to totally destroy the gameplay.
  5. Liquid23

if they were doing it everytime they banned someone well then there were a lot of asshats on my server cause I was seeing it like every 10 minutes or so all weekend...

but it was nice because while silly things like the timer they want here and weapons lock help a little the only thing that will ever actually slow or put a dent in other players misbehaving is attention and vigilance from the mods... looking for some little trick, restriction or program to do it just never cuts it in any game... they take anyone determined whole minutes to work around and keep on their merry way doing whatever it is they were doing... if we had mods on like this weekend all the time we would be golden tho...
  6. Ronin Oni

I doubt we'll see many of these... and again, just /report when that crap happens. /report saves a snapshot of their accounts recent activity to be reviewed.

The main concern most people have is people swapping to the winning side abandoning their team when they need em most... I was making the point that these players who abandon their team weren't really helping in the first place, and will just provide more XP for you to earn when they swap.

Swapping for false flag attacks will result in account ban (if /reported regularly) and would be idiotic to do on the same account as your main anyways.
  7. DiabloMuerto

I'm not really opposed to the idea of this but it certainly has screwed up the popluation balance on my server. Prior to today generally the population for all three empires was relatively always balanced. I logged in today and TR had 83% population on one continent, 63% on another, and then 17% on the third. Usually it's like 31, 33, 35 across the three empires but today there was just no chance to stop TR. Now I know the mechanic is new so some of it is just people trying out the other empires b/c they can but still this isn't setting a good precedent.
  8. Sifer2

It wouldn't take that much more cross referencing since the person likely had the same IP address on both accounts anyway. The change just increase the number of people that will do it by making it faster an more convenient to do. Since now you don't need to log out. That's my point it was a stupid change since it just makes what was already a problem worse. There were IMO no good sides to this change for the gameplay. Only people that defend it are individuals who just happened to benefit from it because they had friends on their server but didn't get those guys to roll the same Empire. But for the general public this is just going to increase teamkilling/spying, and population imbalance.
  9. Consili

I wasnt arguing that the behaviour you describe isnt dangerous, that kind of thing needs a system in place to police I agree with you there. I was just trying to clarify what I thought to be Ronin's intention with their post.

As far as the issue itself goes, preventing instant switching would be a an easy fix that would go a long way to preventing the issue. Figure out how long an average engagement/battle event typically goes for and then have the faction switch timer reflect that. That way you wont have people swapping to influence a single battle.

What really needs to be in place however is a way to identify an account rather than just a character. That is why I would like to have one name per server regardless of faction character, but as others have pointed out that would now require forcing people to change names on existing characters which isnt ideal.
    • Up x 1
  10. Kiddneey

Limited server areas aside (Oceanic as an example), I absolutely dislike this change.
    • Up x 1
  11. Consili

Dont forget the people who only have a single server to chose from if they want to play with acceptable latency.
  12. Consili

We need a way of identifying them on an account basis so that they can be banned like any other griefer. Hell I had someone who insisted on trying to shoot me out of the air for a fair while a few days ago, and this was prior to the change. People in my squad reported the griefer and moved on. If we are vigilant as a community and SOE work on making some changes to the sub-standard system in place at the moment I dont see any reason why it cant work.
  13. Liquid23

they could just do what STO does and add an @YourAccountName tag to everyone's name... with that it is not only easy to see exactly who everyone is by account but it also eliminates the need for toon names to be unique or for anyone to have to change their current ones

so all my alts would be say

Blah@Liquidacid
    Blah2@Liquidacid
    blah3@Liquidacid

and so forth
  14. Tasogie

Fair enough, I thought you were promoting the idiotic behavior.
    • Up x 1
  15. Ronin Oni

They have, and will maintain, active mods hunting out cheaters.

They know that if those cheats are allowed to propagate that it would kill the game
  16. Ronin Oni

and actually, I wouldn't mind using one name for ALL my chars on ALL servers... they are global names after all.
    • Up x 2
  17. Liquid23

eh I do use the same name for all my toons... just slap a 1,2 or 3 at the end and go...

but the problem with the one global name on all toons is for some reason MMO players take their names very very seriously... they throw ******* tantrums in MMOs when their name is taken or they lose it in a merge... it's crazy... they care more about their made up virtual pixels name than I care about my real one... lol
    • Up x 1
  18. Ronin Oni

Exactly... so wouldn't they be happier being able to use their favorite name on ALL their characters?

FWIW every registered name is registered globally precisely so that server transfers won't cause someone to lose their name in case you didn't know.

They could implement this easily... just have it so everyone picks one of their registered names (and offer them a chance to get a new one in case they have JimmySnowTR, JimmySnowVS, etc) as their new set account "Planetside 2 name" to be used for all characters on all servers and factions.

My new name "GotDaMovesLikeJaeger" is kinda growin on me... but I'd sure not mind using my handle "Ronin" that I pre-registered (and used on my NC >.< still play him... but the least. Not cause the weapons actually... just the server I picked... meh... )
  19. Liquid23

true... but as I said in my earlier post to Conslii they could also just add the @YourAccountName tag to everyones name just as easily like STO does... it acomplishes the same thing but doesn't force all those "special little snowflakes" the silly names they want

now you can name your toons MilyCirus and P00pypants or whatever the **** kids like to name themselves but they all have your account name tagged after them so we all know they are the same person
    • Up x 1
  20. Ronin Oni

They could still use whatever name they want. Everyone has registered at least 1 name they want.

Pick one and it would be your "Planetside 2" handle... separate from your actual account name (which is good for security reasons).

Just in case someone has their name tagged with 'TR' or 'NC' they could also offer the chance to register a new name.... whatever they want that's not taken.

Names are already global, so there is no risk of conflict. If you have a name, it's yours. This idea would only make it more yours by giving it to you on every server and every faction
    • Up x 1