Unstable, Unplayable, Joke

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Tinyaguk, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Tinyaguk

I had high hopes for this game, but it isn't finished.

I'm running a 3.3gHz i5, GTX 560 Ti, 16 gigs of RAM, and have a great internet connection. And yet, there is so much latency I cannot play the game. I have stood right in front of people and shot two full clips into them, with nothing happening. Then they turn around and shoot me dead. Tanks spontaneously lose their turrets. Players constantly ghost around. I click terminals and they don't open for ten or fifteen seconds.

There is nothing wrong with my system. It runs everything else fine. This is simply not a finished, polished game, and should not be marketed as such. And spare me the replies of "it is SO SO HARD to have hundreds of people and vehicles in the same area!" I'm sure it is. But you know what? It's also really hard to make a machine that makes all food and drink appear in a little cubbyhole like they do on Star Trek. But if I sold one to people, they'd be pretty unimpressed when it didn't work and I said "dudes, you don't understand! This is hard!"

If it's not technically feasible, then design a game with achievable scope. Don't promise the moon and then deliver some ****** rocks from the Mojave.
  2. SenEvason

My computer runs it just fine.
  3. Tinyaguk

I had a really satisfying lunch today, what's your point?
    • Up x 3
  4. Mietz

Curious, you have the same config as I (except for the CPU i run an i7) and i run this game "fine" with everything maxed (@30, stable) and with some ini tweaks and turning down shadows/particles @60, average.

I do get the occasional bug, but not more than maybe once every 4-5 sessions (map going flickery).
  5. Tinyaguk

My framerate isn't a problem. I run ~60 fps on average. It's the latency that is killing me. The map flickery thing you're talking about is pretty much my experience 100% of the time.
  6. Pr0ph3tx

hmmm that sounds like ambient occlusion. Turn it off. If there isn't a setting ingame or in your userini, do it from the nvidia control panel disable it globally..

Try it and let us know
  7. Mietz

It is hard for me to tell you anything beyond that I don't have that problem.
    I did, back on day 1-3 of launch, but then the servers were severely overloaded, now lag is pretty much non-existent, at least on Cobalt.
  8. Rayden78

2 Years later stability got much worse unfortunally (thank google for this thread resurrect .. sorry)

It seems like it effects mostly if you drive in vehicles .. but i crashed 4 times and my gunner about 5 times in 1,5 hours
  9. Halon

I agree with this for PS2, they gave up a lot in the name of scale, like player collision, wonky dynamic render, general lag, etc. Otherwise the game has been pretty stable for me until just recently.

I think I'm getting the asset management crash that they are working on fixing.