MAX getting killed like a light assault?

Discussion in 'MAX' started by Anomalous, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Anomalous

I've had countless fights as VS MAX both solo and large scaled prior to this observation, usually takes a good amount of damage before getting taken out even without repairs.

Ever since this update my MAX is getting taken out in literal seconds, 100% of the damage being from a single player's infantry weapon. So either some update had a drastic change on this or we traded in kinetic armor for newspaper.
  2. Cyridius

It depends. I've solo killed MAXes before with my infantry weapon simply because the guy was playing like he was AFK(or blind). There ARE bugs though that give you the HP(And shields) of an infantryman if you play as MAX. Watch out for that ****. I know there are bugs that give you paper armour aswell.
  3. Gunnisson

It's hard to say, as per the status quo, SOE have not covered a LOT of changes in their patch notes. I doubt they ever will tbh, it's getting incredibly tiresome. I could understand it in beta, but on release they're still stealth-changing a great deal of things without even uttering a word. It's almost as if they want to pretend the stuff they're fixing was never broken by them in the first place.

Would it surprise me if MAXs had a nerf, a little.
    Would it surprise me that SOE would completely neglect to include this in the patch notes, not in the slightest.
  4. Kiddneey

I feel like I'm taking a LOT more damage as MAX now, very quickly. Medic pops out of cover, half a mag at me as I turn, he's back into cover immediately - half health gone. Seriously.
  5. Anomalous

It appears to happen most commonly when you drop in a hot spot as a MAX.

Honestly my original name for this thread is inaccurate...I took way more bullets as a light assault and survived against the same player that killed my MAX in one single clip of his TR default light assault weapon. So if anything MAX suits are being taken down like they are CIVILIANS.
  6. Purg

Did a hot spot drop this morning and was killed before I could get a shot off by a Carv in a Bio Lab. I think you've nailed it. No more depoys as my MAX.
  7. Rentago

It is an issue I noticed, as since this game isn't as clunky or static with combat, maxes being the slow, inaccurate, and very weak to all arms fire, maxes for all intended purposes DO NOT WORK.

The issue is everyone also has access to them, and due to not wanting everyone to be using a max, they also don't want them to work so well, or everyone would be using them.

Originally a max would take 3 shots from a Devastator, THREE DIRECT SHOTS!

Otherwise a plethora of bullets from a squad loaded with armor piercing rounds.

Normal rounds worked too, but they were incredibly weak, not one person could kill a max if they didn't have at least anti vehicle weapons or explosives.

They were beasts meant to clear bottlenecks, since this game is designed with no possible bottleneck happening thanks to huge open out door areas with many entrances and exits to bases, and no real defendable position.

THEIR ISN'T A NEED FOR A MAX!

Surprisingly they aren't as fast as they used to be, they aren't as strong as they used to be, they can't do anything really as they are.

Sure you you have basically 4 times the health of a normal player, that usually means you can survive a fight against maybe 3 people? Your weapon isn't exactly good at range or for even its intended purpose, look at the AV weapons, or the NONE EXISTANT Anti AIR for each empire.

The reason is, maxes are designed to be walking tanks, currently, they are designed to be slightly heavy infantry with a lot of downsides.

Should just increase the cool down and resource cost and give them a boost, atleast that way it will be WORTH IT and decrease SPAM of it.
    • Up x 1
  8. Mocam

The OP's post makes sense - yours makes me snicker.

Our platoon ran into a very ugly situation yesterday - a good 20 air supporting an assault. To clean it up, 5 of us went AA max mode and when it was done, we all climbed into a nearby Sunderer and drove off - when I noticed something ugly.

The goof who was driving the sunderer... He'd fit it with 2 grenade launchers for weapons systems. So when about 3 planes came by and started shooting us as we were traveling... Well, "we're f*****" came to mind so I yelled for him to stop, which he did at about 1/4th life left on it and the 5 AA fit maxes climbed out and unloaded on the skies...

I bet those pilots had some interesting expressions of their own with the sudden appearance of that many AA maxes suddenly unloading on them.

We do have our uses and are pretty damned crucial to "deter" the leaderboard pilots from lulzing their way through this game. It sucks but a MAX is *THE* best anit-air support you can get right now and as players learn just how easy it is to bomb the hell out of infantry for mass kills, we become even more important and popular.

As for the subject - it does appear to be a bug with deploying. I hit that earlier too but I've kind of gotten used to funky bugs nibbling at play-time. From the Sunderer's that you can no longer access nor climb into, through opponents that "blink" around a room that you can't hit while they shoot you up, around to this one with tissue-paper armor.

I'm sure they'll eventually get it worked out. Hopefully sooner than later.
    • Up x 1
  9. Rentago

The thing is, maxes work well and I mean, only work well in groups, with an engineer nearby to be a heavy/medic combo.

I mean this was the case before, but even alone they were still considered a threat, they are a joke alone, an infiltrator could solo a max if he wasn't incompetent.

Also the flak in general is pretty good, i missed the empire specific homing launchers for maxes, but duel wielding those would wreck people.

The other issue that i bought up are the anti vehicle guns on maxes are really weak, for someone wearing an exo suit carrying big guns, he certainly isn't packing any punch.

The anti infantry weapons are ok, they kill people, just I thought it was weird that they are so inaccurate, maybe it is the trade off of duel wielding, but then at least we should have the option to single wield an arm cannon for increased accuracy.

Overall nothing that I said was actually wrong, this is exactly how they are balancing maxes currently, the heavy armored shock trooper they should be has been reduced to big fat joke with some mediocre guns.

They really need to take more damage so a single guy can't just run around soloing them, unless he has c4 or something, guns should really not be all that effective, mostly coming from a single soldier.

this video has some lame music, but the point was, they were walking tanks, of course vehicles and even infantyr had more health overall, basically everything is easy to kill in planetside 2, but they should still buff maxes to be capable of defending themselves indoors and outdoors against infantry and vehicles.
  10. OldMaster80

Playing devil's advocate: may it be that Max has always the same resistence, but players are unlocking better weapons as time goes by? After all a good anti-Max weapons just needs to deal damage. Unlike shooting regular infantry, you don't have to be so accurated at shooting a Max, because it's a large target.

We definitely need more resistence as we put points in Kinetic Armor and Flak Armor. Current bonus is just boolsheet.
  11. Plunkies

There's a bug, I haven't encountered it since the latest patch but I've had it a few times before, where you'll have half the health of a max but both your hp bars. Or maybe you have normal infantry health, I dunno. Either way you die very fast.
  12. GraphicJ

Well just think of it this way. You MAXes are almost invincible to all aircraft. Boom!... added special bonus there. ;)
  13. Danarchist

I am an excellent dogfighter with my ESM's lock on missles.

I felt obligated! Now back to my rawket pawds!
  14. Deganji

You're actually easier to kill than a light assault because you lack the maneuverability they have.We take way too much damage from infantry and do way too little in return to justify the slow speed and the acquisition timer a MAX currently has.

As a MAX, I'm more scared of infantry than I am vehicles, and I'd think it would be the other way around. MAX firepower at point blank should scare infantry (unless you get jumped by a squad and have no backup), if you're set up for anti infantry that is, while your slow speed makes you a target for vehicles, especially aircraft. I'm fine at being a slow moving target a long range, but I'm sick of being a joke in close combat.

We need to be the indoor tank (which sounds to me like close range combat) they said we were going to be. Or maybe I just suck, probably I do.
  15. Tvayumat

I guess I just don't understand your generation
    • Up x 1
  16. Ripshaft

I'm just going to take a guess here, but you're talking about a small handful of players repeatedly doing this to you right? You know this isn't possible within the game's code, the only explanation is that they are hacking, or that you're really inobservant and that's just a kill log bug.
  17. Mocam

I see what you mean about PS1's maxes - sort of. I watched the video but was more interested in seeing the TTK in combat and how much damage was being taken. I didn't see the health meter move much across that video but I don't know what all the bars mean in the display.

No, everything isn't easy to kill in PS2. Air -> Armor -> MAX -> Infantry from least likely to die to most. That's a huge problem.

"we want huge infantry fights!" - "oh yeah, if you aren't stock infantry in this game,you'll live longer and be able to actually react to attacks."

The AV layout of the max can be tough to use but I have and do use it effectively.

3 loadouts - twin guns for AI, Twin bursters for AA, Twin grenade launchers for AV -- which also will chew up infantry pretty well (I've cleared a pack of infantry using AV weapons but it takes a bunch of shots to kill tanks with them - and yes, I've also killed individual infantry using AV before -- though the twin AI guns are better at it.).
  18. Rentago

oh, the red bar is health, the teal bar is actually stamina, you could get tired reducing your speed to a walk and preventing you from jumping, and the blue bar is armor.

Armor had to be depleted or mostly damaged before you started taking health damage, it sort of absorbed damage by a percentage and the less armor you had the more health damage you would take.

Getting shot also damaged your stamina, and stamina was mostly needed to people who relied on implants to regenerate health, power shields, or engage in a sprint mode.

Either way, the "TTK" in comparison isn't that large for infantry, but it was probably higher than what we have, mostly with vehicles.

Vehicles (including the max) could take a lot of punishment, the amount of health a current MBT has is what a MAX should have, and MBTs should probably be double that, the reason was to really separate the weapons in what performs what purpose. An anti vehicle weapon would chew up vehicles, but it would take double the amount of abuse they can currently take, it would be the equivalent of a sunderer, this allowed different weapons; the devastator was a non-reloadable 3 shot disposable rocket launcher, empire specific guns with their unique playstyles like camera guided rockets, homing rockets, and energy beams.

Overall this game suffers for trying to make everything easy to kill.

When everything is so easy to kill, you can't really differentiate one gun from another, usually because the damage difference may only be by a small difference since there is no space to make a big impact.

You could use an anti vehicle weapon on infantry, it still worked, but what I noticed was your armor would absorb 100% of the damage, normal weapons designed for anti infantry would some what pierce and do health damage.
    If you had armor piercing on anti infantry guns it seemed to work the same way where armor needed to be completely gone before you started doing health damage.

This is hard to explain, it was just the concept of having more space to work with just would be better for any situation and this includes TTK In this game, the more health something has the more powerful or different weapons can be.

• Up x 1
  19. Rentago

here is just straight gameplay instead of clips of people getting killed.