[Suggestion] Repair tool upgrade bonus?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Wesir, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Wesir

Anyone else think it would be nice for us to get some sort of bonus for putting points into upgrading the repair tool besides faster repair time? Maybe increased range like the medic gets or something?
    • Up x 1
  2. Xyrm

Range would be really nice. I'm tired of being "run over" because I'm standing too close to the side of a tank that randomly decides to move when I'm repairing it.
    • Up x 1
  3. KraggTheGrim

Agreed. The fact that you have to be so close to a tank has caused so many deaths. Deaths by enemy fire, and deaths by being run over.
  4. Vargos

If not a range increase, a CoF radius increase would be handy too for my dancing MAX brethren. Assuming, of course, that they fix the ammo drop weapon switch bug so I'll start repairing them again without worrying about accidentally shooting them.
    • Up x 1
  5. flipmoomonkey

Perhaps adding a heal over time component after the beam is broken something like:

2% Repaired per second over 2/3/4/5 Seconds(depending on rank).

Should hopefully help with those situations where the max or tank run off midway through, or the ever fun people standing infront of the max you're trying to repair while also giving a little boost to max survivability with a top end engineer for when he needs to step around the corner into the hailstorm of fire.
  6. Soylad

Adding range would fix most of the problems with being run over by the vehicle you're repairing. Adding a repair "hot" would be an added bonus, but I could see where non-Engis would think it's a little excessive.
  7. SMatthewM

I think they should do something to mirror all the bonuses the combat medic gets with upgrading their tool. Yay...faster speed, and how much faster? Who knows? They don't quantify it like with the combat medic and their applicator. I recently got the final 500 cert upgrade for my nanoarmor kit and...I don't see a huge improvement warranting 500 cert points. I don't see ANY improvement. Wow, I repair a vehicle 5 milliseconds faster...that's SO MUCH FASTER!!!! not.

That'd be cool if your kit cooled down much faster at 500 certs or heated up a lot slower...maybe even do overhealing on vehicles giving them 110% health or something like that, but I could see that backfiring with bunches of engineers all with rank 6 making a vanguard tank field that much harder to take down.

I dunno...just...give engineers something for that 500 cert points that I could have used to unlock a new weapon or something else much more useful.
  8. Xyrm

Take this with a grain of salt, but I've seen it quoted in multiple places that the repair tool gets a 5% increase in repair speed per cert level. Again, I don't have proof, just trying to give you an idea.
  9. SMatthewM

A good way I gauge how fast I am repairing something is by how many little dots I get filled in a turret before overheating. At 1-2 certs in, I could get almost to half way repaired, 3-4 half way and almost a little past. 5 certs gets me a whopping 1 dot past halfway. That's not worth 500 cert points IMO.
  10. SgtSomeone

I initially agreed with you that this was a good way to measure, but realized what if you're heating up faster as well? You would still be fixing for less time (cool down time is the same) but it would mess up your measurements.
  11. Nonune

I would like to see something like the Medic 500 Cert bonus, where they give a Heal over time to buddies in the car with them, except a heal over time to a vehicle. I think this would be better than a bonus to a vehicles total health as that could get crazy unless capped. Vehicles are standardly capped at their passengers, and it could get crazy if you want to roll an All Engi Sundi or Galaxy, but would get boring quick for the passengers.

The bonus here to healing would kick in a few seconds after taking damage of course, like anything else, so if your vehicle is getting focus fired this wouldn't make you immortal. But if you take a few shots, and get away, it reps back up.

That and range to help with getting run over. I don't mind the getting shot by the enemy, but I loath constantly getting run over if my Magrider friendlies I am Repping get the need to twitch.

Also, I'm pretty sure its Very reasonable to ask for Something other than that possible 5% for a 500 Cert Point cost. Thats a Huge investment that could go... lots of places.
  12. supahitecjetfyta

iirc in the time it takes to overheat the gun you will get:
    9x repair XP for level 1
    10x repair XP for level 2
    11x repair XP for level 3
    12x repair XP for level 4

an extra meter of range would be good
  13. Wibin

after 3 levels, It just isn't worth it to me to put in more points.

I dont see the benefits.

If there are some, they are not had by what you pay in.

500 points is a lot.
    I want 500 points of my time worth of upgrades.
  14. Ipecac

In case it wasn't clear or you didn't know, the Medic cert that heals vehicle occupants is called Triage and is a passive upgrade completely separate from the med applicator upgrade line. It's also generally regarded as astoundingly bad, so take that how you will.

I do agree that the repair tool's upgrades are both boring and badly documented. The cert tooltips in game are currently really hit-and-miss. Improvements to heat gain, cooldown rate, and/or range don't seem wildly out of line. Also, is there a reason the repair tool isn't sticky like the med tool? It isn't a big deal when working with tanks or aircraft, but max repair in a crowd is just unnecessarily difficult compared to healing.