[Suggestion] More ways to emphatize tactical/strategy behaviour.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Gustavo M, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Gustavo M

From all my past gaming experience... It's 1 out of 100000000 chances for a dev to read a player's suggestion and comment about It. But....here goes nothing!

Ways to interact with enviromnent
    * Cutting down trees to stop convos
    * Ways to build up walls or temporary small houses to hide sunderers/tanks/etc
    * Dig holes to slow down/stop convos/hide sunderers, tanks, etc
    * Ability to throw rocks/debris/wood/whatever to briefly stun enemies

More deeply RPG elements
    * Basic status, like STR/DEX/AGI/etcetc with a pre-defined limit to each character (Like you are upgrading anything: 1 cert to add a 1 stat point, and 1000 certs for the 10th stat point.)
    * NPC's wandering around conquered areas with random rumors and tips
    * Stamina bar that blurs the player's vision and reduces accuracy significantly If s/he Is playing for more than a certain time.
    * Damage over time effects (Bleeding, poison, confusion, etc)

More ways to adquire a lab/factory/etc
    * Eliminate a factory/lab master/leader/whatever In order to adquire It
    * Points that can only be adquired via a specific class (INFs by hacking, HA by exploding, etc)
    * Demolish (and reconstruct after demolishing the place)
    * Capture something (Dunno... a chip, engine piece?) and retrieve It to your nearest lab/factory/etc.
    * A factory/lab/etc that can only be captured with 100% influence
    * Or a squad with a specific amount of members
    * Or after a certain amount of kills

More capture points
    * Floating islands
    * Bases under the earth

I'll leave those for now.

2. Liquid23

cutting down trees?

come on man there is hardly any vegetation on the entire planet and you wanna cut down the few trees we have
  3. Udnknome

I'm still suck on the RPG elements. NPC's... Mobs? >> Is there not enough player created content for you?
  4. Liquid23

it would be cool if they added some wildlife... imagine driving at full speed on your Flash trying to get to the battle and smacking into a deer running across the road causing you to crash... or flyng your ESF into a dogfight only to run right into a flock of birds and have them splat all over your window blocking your view
  5. SenEvason

I'm all for the destruction and construction of structures, but I think actively changing the terrain might strain the servers and clients too much.
  6. ytman

I came here because I expected Strategy/Tactical concepts and how to create a meta-game which favored this over a zerg and even shephered players into these concepts. Instead I get a thread about making this a WoW MMO. Huh whut?

NPCs are cool and hopefully coming in (I particularly want a 4th faction that can show up and really threaten a continent with pwn). But anything Strategic/NPC based is a ways off. At least a half year away.

Instead we need to talk about tactics and minor strategy. Base layout/vehicle combat is very important to these ends. Granting more rewards for passive defense and merely holding ground is important as well. Incorporating 'cool down' timers on cap backs is also very important. A abstraction called "Momentum" which gauges Region Capture over time and numbers is, imo a critical jump for this kind of game play. High momentum means that you can't get easily back capped, low momentum means the opposite.
  7. CdrCross

Sorry, OP. These are some really, really bad ideas.
  8. Liquid23

I'm curious about the floating islands... are you insinuating there are islands that don't float? as in ones that sink?
  9. ytman

He means stuff from Pandora from that movie Pocahontas in Space.
  10. Liquid23

Pandora? Like where the Vault hunters hang out? having Claptrap in this game would be epic!
  11. Patchey

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.
  12. have2laugh

What I see are a bunch of (less polished) planetside 1 mechanics:

What I'f engys could build/clear mine fields to slow tank zeros, or auto-turrets to slow infantry?

What if each faction had a natural 'home' continent because it was the only one reached from their faction-specific start point (let's call them sanctuaries. Hell, let's even have a VR training room there where you could try/train with different guns and vehicles)

What if all the different continents linked together? Then you'd not only defend and lock your own continent, you'd push into other faction's afterwards...

What if there was more than one way to cap a base via the meatgrind? Lets have it spawn something that needs to be returned to a specific friendly base (we'll call it an LLU for now)

What if a base had shield and meaningful emplaced turrets to remove the lame back-hacking merry-go-round because you'd actually have to assault the shield to bring it down, giving defenders time to respond? Omg, we could even make the gameplay deeper by making the shields and turrets cost power... We could even allow the defenders to try o break the siege to bring more energy in!

It's all been done, tested and tweaked over 5 years - and then inexplicably discarded completely.
  13. ytman

I actually think OP is trolling us now.