Vehicles: Intended Gameplay Roles vs How People Use Them

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Protection, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Protection

This thread is about how vehicles are described or intended to be used, compared against how the play base has taken to using them (by no means all players, but it seems to be the norm). [Not a serious thread - Comedy!]

Vehicle Type:
    Intended Role : Player Defined Role

Flash:
    Fast One Man Transport : Racecar and Trolling Device

Prowler / Vanguard / Magrider:
    Two Man Main Battle Tank : One Man Main Battle Tank

Lightning:
    Fast, Maneuverable, Light Battle Tank : "MBT is unavailable" Tank

Sunderer:
    Twelve Man Troop Transport : One Man Mobile Spawn Factory

Mosquito / Reaver / Scythe:
    Air Superiority Fighter : Ground Superiority Fighter

Liberator:
    Support Gunship : Sunderer Spawn Farm Harvester

Galaxy:
    Twelve Man Air Transport : One Man Air Transport
    • Up x 5
  2. Ixal

And the sad thing is it works. Vehicle spam everywhere because there are tank vending machines at every 2nd base.
  3. AtomicGerman

Prowler
    High ROF assault tank : OMGWTFBBQ POS TANK BUFF BUFF BUFF

Vangaurd
    Heavy Assault Tank : OMG OP GUN

Magrider

Highly mobile assault craft : OMG CAN STRAFE OP
    • Up x 1
  4. cfnz

I'm certainly guilty of using the Prowler and Lightning as describing, we've also done some Flash racing.

Aside from those that are chooing to play solo, I think a lot of it comes down to unit and economy balance, in terms of vehicle spawn cost and their effectiveness/ability to generate certs.
  5. Ixidron

Two Man Main Battle Tank : One man long range artillery
  6. Keifomofutu

Prowler

Two man main battle tank:--->Box shaped scythe for the fertile fields of planetville 2.
  7. Ixal

Two Man Main Battle Tank : One Man Anti Infantry Tank

Lightning:
    Fast, Maneuverable, Light Battle Tank : One Man Anti Infantry Tank

Air Superiority Fighter : One Man Anti Infantry Plane

Liberator:
    Support Gunship : Two Man Anti Infantry Plane
    • Up x 3
  8. Keifomofutu

Infantry are OP! We need to specifically counter them with every vehicle!:eek:
    • Up x 3
  9. Bagar

Good guide, should help alot a new player getting the hang out of the game. Maybe make it sticky ?

Here are some other suggestion though, in a darker tone :

Vehicle Type:
    Intended Role : Player Defined Role

Flash:
    Fast One Man Transport : Fast suicide bike.

Main Battle Tank : Coffin you have to drive from the WG.

Lightning:
    Fast, Maneuverable, Light Battle Tank : Smaller coffin available almost everywhere.

Sunderer:
    Twelve Man Troop Transport : Zerg factory, the more they die, the better for you.

Air Superiority Fighter : cuckoo vehicule, currently occupying the intended role of flash, MBT, lighting, and liberator.

Liberator:
    Support Gunship : IQ test, keep three flyer busy instead of them manning ESF.

Galaxy:
    Twelve Man Air Transport : Ramming vehicule, for the kamikaze spirited.
  10. have2laugh

I actually prefer the lightning to the MBT when playing solo and the MBT when in a squad, why? because I've certed them specifically for these roles.

The lightning is by no means a "MBT unavailable" tank. Its usually my first choice because I've invested heavily into speed, ammo, and reload certs as well as all 3 gun types. it's supremely versatile depending on what I see outside, so I always pull it first.

I have a few certs in the mag and have upgraded the secondary gun, so if I've got an outfit member willing to man it, suddenly the MBT becomes deadly - HE on the main gun, AV on the secondary. But without the secondary gunner I find it nothing but a huge rocket magnet that's to slow to escape should you accidentally crest a hill to find yourself looking at a ton of heavies.

Equally I only ever pull an ESF for AA and I see plenty of other people predominantly hunting aircraft with them - you're generalising horribly here.

Sunday - Im seeing more and more of these being used as anti infantry support along with the Ammo capability to support armour. People have just needed time to cert into it. Its probably not the highest thing on anyone's list.

Galaxy - as above really. Im starting to see them used more effectively slowly but surely.

Flash - agreed. This vehicle is horrifically broken, simply because it provides zero protection to the driver and is too difficult to control to make with worthwhile mounting any of the weapons at all. If it actually protected the driver, you'd see loads more of these actually being used properly.
  11. Durron

Off topic for this thread; however, I find it ironic that TR will tell NC players to l2p over infantry weapons, and in the next breath ask for a buff for their MBT........
    • Up x 2
  12. Littleman

... So are the MBT's by the exact same margin. Actually more-so precisely because of that second gun! The only exclusive to the lightning is the flak cannon.
  13. MarlboroMan-E

Great post, agree with most of it. Flash isn't worthless, though. For 25 vehicle resource, it's like a super sprint to get to the next closest base. The guns are mostly useless, though, except I killed an undefended sundy the other day which let me save real ammo for something else. I've killed plenty of MBTs with my HEAT lightning, it's not just for farming infantry anymore.
  14. have2laugh

Agreed, but the differences in performance from the chassis and performance buffs appears to be higher.

That said, I'd love a return to the 3 man MBTs from ps1. Buff them; bring back the prowler deploy function, give the van greater DMG per shot and nerf the ROF a little and move the magrider's gun so that it moves independently of the body - consider reinstating some of the nerves hill climb ability or increase speed.

The MBTs should be the liberators of the armour column - few and far between because they take considerable teamwork and resources, but hugely imposing in the right hands. At the minute they're none of those.