Something needs to be done about the Saran HRB

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zverofaust, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Spookydodger

Default Sunderers with 2 gunners can outgun a default magrider with no gunner. Those basillisks can tear things up given the chance.
  2. Spookydodger

I'm fairly certain that the NC has an analog to the Saron HRB. I've had plenty of rockets fired at me from the top of Vanguards that operate like the HRB without the cool pewpew noise.
  3. Panifrazzle

The thing that differentiates the saron from other tank guns is that the driver cant fire it...
  4. Spookydodger

The Saron HRB has a HUGE slowpoke factor. If I'm firing at a liberator with the HRB I need to give it 2-3 plane lengths of lead to ensure a hit if it is moving perpendicular to me. That's nearly the same lead I have to give while firing the anti-infantry main cannon.
  5. Spookydodger

You can effectively use the splash damage if you fire at the ground or have something nearby the enemy to hit, however if they are in a place where you can shoot the ground then they are probably chowder anyhow, and the latter is difficult to find situations.

I agree, the Saron HRB is only dangerous to infantry that stand still for 2 seconds or always pop up from the same cover over and over. I've put many a shot into empty air because the infantry was moving.
  6. TatharNuar

You know, from gunning a Saron HRB several times in the past, I swear there's a shot delay between when you click and it starts to fire. I miss a lot of precision shots because I line up my shot, click, and then wait a fraction of a second for it to fire and miss. I understand why people get it, but it's aggravating for me to miss so many of my shots like that.
  7. Spookydodger

I kinda think the original reason they gave the vulcan the stats it has, and the 2 cannon firing for prowlers the stats they have, along with the speed of the prowler, is that they wanted prowlers and lightnings to race into enemy forces and mix it up close-quarters style.

I don't know if that is wise, and I certainly don't usually see it happen, but that seems to be the original intent.
  8. Gheeta

Saron HRB is well designed weapon and should not be changed in my opinion. Better way to go about this is to bring the TR and NC faction specific weapons to the same level. The G30 Vulcan concept for example is great but the absolutely horrible accuracy makes the weapon unusable.
  9. Vachek

Leave the Saran how it is, give Vangards their locking top gun back.
  10. zverofaust

They have a rocket launcher type thing that can fire both lock-on mode and dumb-fire. When dumb fired the projectile speed is quite fast and I think it has a BIT of a ballistics drop but not much.

Compared to the Prowler's rocket which is always dumb fire, and has incredibly low velocity/high ballistics arc making it useless at anything but point blank range.

Wow did they take it away? That's a ****** idea, I liked it and it was a bit different. Very nice arrangement compared to the Saran. It's just the Prowler needs the buff...
  11. Spookydodger

I honestly wonder if they meant for the TR armor to have less of a stand-off ability and more of a blitzkrieg high-speed armor approach with the higher prowler top-speed, dual firing cannon, and short range rotary armor piercing chain gun, and left the standoff long range ability to their lockdown mode with a higher firing speed.

I see a lot of prowlers close the distance on me in a magrider, but they then fail to capitalize on it by going past me and hitting me in the rear. Most seem content to sit nose-to-nose with me to fire. Unfortunately for most of them, I move forward and ride up over them while turning, and fire into their rear.

However, the theory at least seems feasible. Has anyone tried using the Prowler in this method?
  12. iller

That'd be fine except that Aimbotters are exploiting this weapon to powerlevel their Dual-boxed backup accounts.
  13. FeiXue

Welcome to October.
  14. Elbryan

I've tried it but I'm unable to flank the Mag/Van faster than they can turn. Ended up getting shots on my side and dropping well before the enemy tank. =(

Also tried a small scale outfit armor zerg against a small Magrider zerg but half of us were dead/half dead before we reached the enemy and the ones left alive for close range were outgunned. We did take few of the closest Mags with us though. =P

Have had some success when I get the jump on the enemy tank and am right next to them right from the start. Vulcan really rips them apart. ...But then again, if Magrider or Vanguard get the jump on me, I'm going down. Having tactical advantage right from the start doesn't really count as a tank specific strengths. =P
  15. TheGroggyOne

The vulcan needs it's mag increased and it's range. Otherwise it seems fine. The cert for it's mag should be increased from 12 to 24. Another 50-100m on it's range and it'd be a great little gun.
  16. Spookydodger

Yeah, as an ambush tank, the Prowler seems to do really well. Magriders only ambush well in narrow corridors like canyons where there front armor and strafing ability can make a difference. Also they seem to make better use of rough terrain with their hovering.

Vanguards seem to be the king of "sit there and take it". Not so much of a strat as raw strength, but at least it seems niche.

Perhaps increasing the range of the Vulcan and giving the prowler a high-speed boost instead of a lock down, and leave the lockdown to something that automatically becomes a benefit after 5 seconds or 10 seconds of sitting stationary (if mapping it to a key is problematic). The boost could be something like 10 seconds of +50% movement but turning deactivates it, similar to the Magrider Magboost.
  17. Spookydodger

Oh, also, I kinda meant flanking as a whole, like around to the side of the enemy force, using the Prowler's higher speed to get around behind an enemy armor force.

In terms of head-on combat, I believe a tactic that the Americans used in WW2 versus Tiger and other German heavy tanks, was to rush the tank with 3 Shermans, and hope that only 2 of the got destroyed before the third was able to get behind the heavy tank and hit it in the rear. Until the development of variants like the Firefly came along and they could start engaging those tanks in frontal standard range fights.

But expecting that overall strategy out of disorganized masses is probably asking for a bit much.
  18. iller

It actually HAS an explosion radius too on top of all those other things? Why in god's name does it need that??
    This is like an Aimbotter's wet-dream come true, plus Twins and a midget to make it kinkier
    • Up x 1
  19. Sharmanti

Lol indeed
  20. Sharmanti

HAHAHA o-m-f-g (<-ITS A CURSE! Really SOE...). "and the explosion radius is small." - It catually HAS an explosion radius too on top of all those other things?

Oh god...