Something needs to be done about the Saran HRB

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by zverofaust, Dec 8, 2012.

1. ChipMHazard

Aye, once all of the factions have equally worthwhile/effective secondary weapons then they can start balancing them against each other.
  2. Qaz

Tested that a while ago: it's 150 m/s (enf) vs 300 m/s (saron). So, yes ... the saron has a clear advantage. I think the enforcer should be tweaked to compensate for that. Maybe with 5% more damage or so (if you think 5% is not much ... think about this: the enforcer is more of medium range weapon, compared to the saron. Now, when the tank driver doesnt try to snipe, but gets to the perfect range .... the 5% additional enforcer dmg + shield + front armour should allow any vanguard to always win ....)
  3. FeiXue

Spot a logic:
    • You fight fast and nimble opponent with relatively low HP -> you design hard hitting, slow weapon
    • You fight slow and armoured opponent -> you design fast but less powerful weapon

Whatever they're smoking in those Auraxian R&D labs, I want some too.
    • Up x 1
  4. WUNDER8AR

I fail to see why the sauron should be all that good since it's rather a limitation than an actual upgrade for the magrider.

Imo a magrider is supposed to outmaneuver opponents since that's what it excels at. hence your best bet is to stay on the move by strafing or using the magburner, which is more often than not making it very hard for the gunner to line up shots accurately anyway.

hence ultimately the gunner has a relatively forgiving up close to medium range anti inf weapon to avoid getting C4'd or shot in the rear by heavis in chaotic battles, meaning a weapon with relatively high rof, high ammo count, a large mag and with the potential to do some damage to armor too, rather than a weapon which requires pinpoint accuracy because it deals very little splash damage, got a slow rate of fire, low ammo count and long reloading speed, which thus in worst case leaves my tank totally exposed to incoming infantry threads for a significant amount of time unless your gunner hits every single shot, even when your on the move, which is almost impossible to achive, even if the driver is telling his gunner every single movement of the tank before actually performing it. or you stop moving, which certainly doesn't match the ideal way of using a magrider at its fullest potential.
  5. Antagonisten

The Saron actually has a delay from clicking the mousebutton - to actually firing, aswell as the sight being MINIMAL, it's like firing a sniper rifle only you're mounted on a strafing hovertank. True, when it hits it's a beast, but it's easier said than done. You can pretty much only take out tanks, still targets and idiot aircraft hovering 10m above ground. In this case, I tell you whiners: l2play. Seriously.
  6. Vortok

Try investing some certs into either chassis (recommend Rival... you're not outrunning anything even with Racer) for the hover height, if nothing else. At rank 2 you pretty much have to crouch jump to get on your Magrider from level ground and at level 3 it's hovering high enough you can't really jump onto it. Let's you hover over fences, boxes, and another annoying crap littered around. And now your main gun isn't so close to the ground. I've shot the ridge I was sitting on my fair share too - just something to adjust for.

I'm thinking of putting the Kobalt on top of mine, so a gunner can help with infantry. Rockets and C4 and ***** tank mines are scary. I expect Flak Armor to get a lot more popular so having bullets will be a good compliment to the main gun. Basilisk is too inaccurate to rely on it for that and is all around pretty mediocre at everything - would rather specialize in one direction or another. Kobalt can put a hurting on ESF, too - and more accurately than the Basilisk. Slight disadvantage against other MBTs (Lightning's lower health should allow them to be killed in a 1v1, assuming I don't drive/shoot like trash), but Mags aren't really supposed to engage those at close range anyway.

And yeah, Saron is nice for what it does but it's -very- specialized. Can't aim up very far for air and difficult to hit anything while moving. If you're not hitting vehicles/turrets it's not very effective. I doubt I'd put it on my Mag at the moment if I had it - infantry is the more common threat. Tank killing on a regular basis is a Liberator's job.

The other two faction weapons could use a buff and I'm sure it's on the dev's list. Vulcan is nice when it works, just needs some tweaks to improve the range... and I'm surprised the NC didn't just get another shotgun for their faction weapon. Count your blessings I suppose.
  7. MasterD

Yes I have used it. I've gotten 155 kills in a row with the thing and have a video to prove it. The Magrider is nowhere near hard to use. Your tank's maneuverability and long range makes up for the gun placement which isn't bad at all. The strafe acceleration is absurd. You can easily move out of the way of any rockets that are shot out of you. It is by far the easiest tank to shoot due to the near no drop on its main cannon.

I don't know anything about the secondary gun since I've only used the stock one it comes with. I never upgraded it because I've only played about 2 hours on my Vanu guy and I only pulled 1 tank. That was the first time I've ever used their tank and I would say racking up 155 kills with ease that your main gun is perfectly fine.
  8. NDroid

When was the last time you tried it? The main gun drop values have been equalized for all 3 MBTs quite a while ago back in beta. The default top strafe speed is 15kph now as well. You can dodge dumb fire rockets at medium to long ranges which are where the Mag is supposed to excel. If it tries to get too close to an enemy base for example that advantage is nullified. I do agree that it's easier to use a Magrider simply due to its control scheme- it controls not very differently from infantry.
  9. Freyar

I think the annoying thing is with the HUD. I can deal with it being near the ground if the HUD represented it.
  10. MartianDiscoFish

I actually think the Saron HRB is better than the magrider's main cannon, which is how it should for all MBTs
    Nerf the Magriders main cannon and I won't mind, but nerfing the secondary gunner is just going to create more solo tanks, and as a result more tanks and greater quantity over quality.

I think the secondaries of MBTs need to be designed like the empire specific AV from the original planetside
    Saron should be like the lancer (Super fast projectile, which it is)
    the Vulcan should be like the Striker (lock on missile)
    Enforcer should be like the Phoenix (User guided missile)
  11. Snarkyfoo

12. Snarkyfoo

The same hookah that was used by the Auraxium Military Base contractors.
    "Doors? Watcha want doors for? Ye canna see the enemy through a door!"
    "Whut? Worried about Tanks around a spawn room? C'mon, get real!"
  13. Winterspawn

155 kills in your first unupgraded Magrider in only 2 hours? Nice, show me that video, maybe I can learn from it then, that is ofcourse if it excists, or isn't done with hacks, you can never know these days. A K/D of 155/1 is pretty amazing.
  14. Flharfh

My favorite part is that it's maximum range is 80m. The bullets literally disappear at that range - not that you'll hit anything past 50m, due to the horrific accuracy.
  15. Ashur

Honestly, it's less an issue with the saron being OP and more of an issue with the other faction's alternatives being a bit ****.
    • Up x 1
  16. Gramps

It's baffling how the Vulcan made it out of beta in the current form it's in. It's literally a detriment to even equip it on your tank over the stock weapon. It's on par with the VS Beamer VS3 from PS1, and quite possibly, worst.
    • Up x 1
  17. MasterD

Yeah I'm going to try and edit it at some point but I logged into the game got dropped into some random battle, died 3 times. Spawned at a tech plant and pulled a Mag 155 kills later I get popped by a rocket start backing up right over 2 mines placed by an engineer. Best I've done in a Van has been about 20-30 due to teammates killing me and I've pulled about 40 in a Prowler but in both of those instances I wasn't very careful.
  18. Baleur

Um, the Anti-Tank cannon for the Magrider is essentially a Saron HRB, with a slightly higher bullet drop.
    And the Rocket Launcher secondary turret does as much damage as the Saron, it just has some drop (which is easy enough to compensate for, and doesnt come into play in close encounters if the magrider driver knows wtf he is doing).

Wanna remove the Rocket Launcher turret as well?
  19. Bags

The magrider is very good.

http://i.imgur.com/rQgzQ.jpg
  20. Flharfh

The projectile speed is MUCH faster for the Saron as compared to the Halberd, making it much easier to use. It's also much easier to aim because the Halberd's sights are extremely odd. Any VS who is equipping a halberd over the saron is loony.