Crashing on Win 8

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Xeero, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Xeero

Myself and another friend who's using Windows 8 have come across an odd error. If we have a USB controller plugged in the game crashes any time you try to start it. As soon as you disconnect the controller it plays fine.

My friend had the issue using a 360 controller for windows and I had it with both a Logitech Rumblepad and also a Thrustmaster Cougar.

Any other Windows 8 users encountering the same problem? And did you find any workarounds?
  2. Kest

Yes, I have the same issue. If my Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is plugged in, the game crashes on startup (right after I click "Play" on the updater).

As for workarounds, I've found none. I sent in several bug reports in beta about this, and still nothing. They did ask us for details on the forums about these types of crashes, but I'm unsure if they are still working on it, or if they think it has been fixed.
  3. CombatDoc

If you have access to a windows 7 or XP machine, try copying dinput8.dll from one of those machines into your windows 8 Planetside2 root folder. Worked for me to make my USB headset and joystick work.

For my setup, I had an old XP box, and dinput8.dll was located at C:\Windows\system32\dinput8.dll

I copied that file to my Windows 8 machine at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\PlanetSide 2

If you don't use steam it is probably a different path. Just put it in the folder that has the Planetside2.exe and Launchpad.exe files.
  4. Moxin

Its a windows 8 issue, people have no issues with win7.
  5. Cerbreus

6. ZombieReagan

So does adding that .dll to the client directory count as modifying the client? They're banning people for disabling TXAA and using stuff that works better, seems logical that this would be bannable as well, since it's basically the same thing.
  7. Hashish

xbox 360 controller for me did this
  8. Raven242

Thanks tons, I redownloaded and installed PS2 3 times with no luck.I found this post and realized I was charging my PS3 controler with my pc and unpluged it and magic. Thanks again;)