We need a rangefinder (or some way to tell distance to target)

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by PSBJ, Dec 4, 2012.

1. vampwood

It would only make sense if you could use it while scoped into the weapon, no one stands still long enough for that be of any use otherwise and frankly if you're engaging multiple targets in the same area, your first couple of rounds will let you dial it in correctly anyway without use of a range finder.
  2. Trysaeder

I'm implying that the learning process can take place over many hours and days, instead of trying to force it all into one character life's worth of time.
    1. Shoot, stay in scope and see where the bullet goes.
    2. Remember the situation and make a note of how you missed, and what you will do next time in that situation.
    3. DO NOT ACCEPT ANYTHING LESS THAN A HEADSHOT. A BODYSHOT IS SOMETIMES WORSE THAN A MISS.
    4. Expose yourself to many different situations.
    5. Get lots of experience in those situations.
    6. Voila! No mildots or rangefinders needed (I still use mildots to aid learning at longer ranges)
  3. PSBJ

You're advocating for an inaccurate and really pointless way of doing things. Instead of taking hours or days trying to learn how to guess distances and where to aim without mil-dots, you can use a rangefinder to memorize distances at certain points and learn to connect distance to mil-dots.

I already know roughly where to aim, but it takes one to three shots to find the exact spot to get a headshot. Again, your way is not accurate inefficient when we could use rangefinders to know where to shoot before the first shot.

Why are you so adamant against something that will increase efficiency and accuracy?
  4. SGTTEMPEST

Up to 300 this seems about right. I haven't had to take many shots past that. On the V10/Parallax it's about 1 mil dot at 250 and anything less than 200 aim straight for the head it seems. That being said I have gotten into the habit of dropping a personal waypoint on landmarks around the fight or the main area I am aiming for and use that as a judge. That way it ends up in my line of sight when scoped in and I can get a general idea. It will have to do until an actual range finder is implemented. Seeing as how you can do it this way it just seems pointless not to include one. This gives almost the same results with a tad more work.
  5. IshanDeston

+1 for the ability to tell the distance to the target. I really hate spending the first 2 shots just to "guess" how far away they really are.
  6. PSBJ

7. PSBJ

8. Exrage

*shrug* I can sight guess close enough, but if I really need to I can test-fire and adjust as necessary. Given my prior line of work I guess that's not fair to the average gamer though, but getting used to determining distance based on visual determining factors is a skill that needs practice before you can do it.