Ready! Aim! (Shoot down these Noob Questions please...) FIRE!!!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by STeGaMeLiOn, Dec 7, 2012.

1. STeGaMeLiOn

Noob Rank: 11 yet still unable to find the answers...

1) Is there a way to identify whoever is currently speaking (using the voice chat)
    I want to see in my HUD, or somewhere at the bottom of the screen, a name of whoevers voice I am hearing in my headphones.

2) How to make the message text bigger? I am able to activate the cursor and click and drag the corner but still I am going blind trying to read miniscule font size text. I am using a relatively small monitor yes, but still even in other games the font size is much bigger and have less trouble reading.

3) Here's an easy one for ya...Base Assault: Shield generators. How are the shield generators identified on the HUD? Are they the UP arrows? So one would destroy the generators to deactivate an enemy shield. Can one "Hack" with an infiltrator to deactivate enemy base shield without destroying the generator?

4) Air Craft Ejection: So...if I haven't already crashed into a canyon, its only a matter of a minute after takeoff before enemy locks onto me and I might get lucky and be able to hit the 'E' key and exit the vehicle before it explodes, only to plummet 200+ meters to my death. How to eject safely?

5) Air Craft Hover key? Is there a button to bring the aircraft back to '0' or hover or is this a manual/skill thing that I have to just balance manually?

6) Everbody in the base just standing around? I know if TF2 there were servers for idling for item drops. There is a passive certification gain right? just for being logged in and playing? Does this game support idling? I thought I got kicked one time for inactivity, could be wrong.

7) Squad Vs. Platoon Vs, Outfit
    Where can I find more information on these denominations/subdivisions?

8) How to request seat trade in Sundy? Sometimes I enter as the gunner and someone wants to be gunner so they request to trade seats?

9) Is it me or is this game like original Halo, Team Fortress 2, and Battlefield 3 combined? I never got to play Tribes, but I've seen pics and from what I remember, the games look similar. Where to find out more info about this game Planetside 2?

For the most part I am enjoying this game. I have found it to be much more forgiving than Battlefield 3. I mean, just the timer window on kill assists alone is so much friendlier (I can damage an enemy, chase after them, get killed, wait for respawn, and receive Assist EXP after friendly finishes them off after all that time as elapsed). I am also noticing less bullet drop than BF3.

Thanks,
    -S
  2. STeGaMeLiOn

Heh..and why do they censor the word N o o b? lol
  3. Velonese

1, 2, 3: I don't know.

4: i don't know if their is a cert for all 3 aircraft, but I know at least one of them has one that allows for safe ejection of you and your passengers.

5: I don't think their is a key to reduce velocity to 0 and bring you back to hover. From my limited experience you have to manually do this.

6: I've been Dc'd for being idle to long. From my reading you gain 1 cert per hour, online or not. However you do gain bonuses for taking basses and all that for being online and in that area. These people are probably watching tv or doing something else while they wait; hitting space bar or something every few min to stay online.

8: Hit F# of seat. For example hit F3 to change seats. If someone is in that seat, it will automatically ask them.
  4. Kommissar Klose

1. Their name should appear at the bottom of the HUD

2. No idea, haven't messed with it. If using the mouse when pressing alt doesn't do it, I don't know what would

3. Generators look like a shield symbol. Destorying them (always) is a matter of walking up and holding e. The hack interface wheel appears, wait for it to fill. It is not a matter of shooting it. Do not stand near generators. Beware allies that stand near them, they will generate grief points when they invariably die in the explosion.

4. Ejection is something you buy certs for. Without it, if you are not light assult and gun the jetpack at the right time, you will splat.

5. Hover is a manual skill as far as I know (in an ESF. The lib/gal can hover on their own pretty well). Just hit spacebar at the right intervals.

6. Its not for passive certs. Really, some people at the gate are lazy. Maybe they're chatting with friends, waiting for cooldowns. Passive certs are an offline thing though.

7. Should be something on this site. For MMO comparisons:
    Squad = Group
    Platoon = Group of squads (i.e. a raid)
    Outfit = Guild

8. The trade request usually occurs when someone hits the function key for the seat you're in (i.e. if you're in seat 2, and someone in seat 7 presses F2, then you see the request).

9. This site, or the PS2 wiki sites would be good starters.
    • Up x 2
  5. RedNoak

or try to experiment with pressing "S" (slowdown) "space" (vertical thrust) and "shift" (afterburner)
    as far as i know only the galaxy allows for a hot drop ins.(no damage taken when exiting)
    all other aircrafts will deliver the normal falling damage
    also u can check out the tutorial videos.
  6. Mattressi

Yeah, this forum is crazy about censorship. It seems like every second word is censored.

As for the rest, I'll try to answer:

1) Down in the bottom left hand corner, next to the list of squad members is where names of people speaking on voice comms appear for me.

2) Not sure.

3) The arrow symbols are capture points - you capture them to take a smaller base around the main base. They give you somewhere to spawn and at some bases (Bio Labs) a warp portal thingy into the base. The shield generators have a heater shield (style of shield) outline with a symbol inside (a tank for anti-tank shields, for example).

4) You need to get a cert for it. Alternatively, hold "s" and "c" (or ctrl) and drop straight down, then let go of "c" and press space quickly just before you hit the ground and eject. You should take minimal damage.

5) Libs and Gals hover easily, so do Scythes. Mossies and Reavers can be hovered by tapping the space bar. They can be made to hover a bit better with the hover control (something like that) certification. There's no auto-hover key. At around 65 km/h the aircraft will stay level.

6) They're most likely looking through the store and through certification menus, which stops them being kicked for being afk. You get certs even when logged off, at the same rate as you would if you were logged on and just sitting in base not doing anything.

7) Not sure where to get more info, but a squad is the basic level of up to 12 members in a team, platoons can consist of several squads (this isn't my strong point in knowledge) and outfits are like clans and have to be joined/invited to. Joining an outfit persists even after logging out, while squad/platoon membership does not.

8) Not sure, but I'm guessing "page down" (the vehicle organisation key) might do it.

Hopefully I've helped a little :)
  7. STeGaMeLiOn

Thanks for the replies everybody.
    My friend who plays NC posted a screen shot of this game, and from that single screen shot I KNEW this game would be good, and I like it a lot. Still though, 32 hours in I feel like I have not yet tapped into the intuition of the devos as the controls/game play a bit chilly/rocky. Maybe Im just not used to it yet, but I have remapped many of the keybindings to help me reach actions that I would consider to have greater priority.

Not like *orgasmic* World of Tanks, where the controls and game feel and play like melted butter: Intuitively!!!
    (Of course, with only vehicles, there would be less commands than on foot, but still, melted butter!)
  8. NagaPuncher

1. You will see over a person's head a symbol of a speaker (like the one for your windows volume) over a person's head when they say something in voice coms. Also, at the bottom of your screen the person's name will appear when they talk.

2. Not sure.

3. The generators have 2 different symbols for each type and you'll know if they need to be destroyed by putting your crosshair over the symbol in your HUD (it will say Destroy) when you hover over it. When you get to the generator anyone can hit 'E' while standing next to it to overload it and destroy it. The overload function takes some time after you've done that before the generator actually blows up. Don't stand next to it when it does blow.

4. You can buy a skill with certifications that allows you to eject from an ESF and float to safety. Fyi, it sucks. If you're going to crash its probably better to just die because odds are you are going to be out in the middle of nowhere and will still need to redeploy.

5. In order to hover in place you will need to use your jump key to 'bob' up and down to keep the aircraft in place, at least on an ESF. You can also purchase a skill that increase the power of your plane's hover ability. I haven't tried this yet so I don't know if it allows neutral hover with no input by the pilot.

6. You do get kicked for inactivity but I think the timer is like 5 minutes with no input. Sometimes people in the bases are checking out certifications, weapons, etc. This doesn't count as inactivity IIRC.

7. An outfit is like a guild in other games. Platoons are large groups you can get invited to at any time to play together. Squads are sections of platoons to organize the players in a platoon in different sub groupings.

8. You request a seat trade by hitting the F key that corresponds to the seat you want to sit in, and someone else is already sitting in it. For example, if I'm in seat 4 of a sunderer and I want to man a gun turret I need to hit F2 or F3 to sit in those seats. If someone is already in that seat it will request a trade with them.

9. Check out the planetside 2 wiki for more information, sorry I don't have a link.
  9. STeGaMeLiOn

*Ding! Ding! Ding!* We have a winner!: Light Assault! #4 Thanks Kommission Klose!
  10. STeGaMeLiOn

Again I have remapped many of the keys to allow easier access to what I consider higher priority acctions so it would be more helpful if you describe the action rather than the keybinding. Thanks
  11. STeGaMeLiOn

#10) Sorry everybody, I knew I forgot a very important question:

I am constantly spotting enemy units when I can. I don;t want to hear "Eyes on enemy heavy" or "Enemy Heavy armor is In. the area." I know this! You know this because I am spotting them!

How to disable the audio trigger of spotted enemy units WITHOUT killing the Master Volume?
    Does this option even exist in game? I can tell I am spotting them because their enemy cursor goes away after a few seconds and reappears after I spot them. I just do not want to hear my guy speak the obvious (over and over and over) please.
  12. RedNoak

the thing is, EVERYBODY will hear that you are yelling.

firends and enemys.

so its more of a feature... if u spot something u will give away your position. so no, u cant supress the shouting.
  13. SenEvason

14. STeGaMeLiOn

#11) How to disengage the command for Friendly Command Menu from Spotting Enemies. What I mean by this is when I spot enemies with the Space bar, sometimes a friendly will get in the way and it will activate Useless Friendly Command Option and will get stuck. I could play this game without the friendly unit command menu, although I would not rule it out entirely, just remap it to less priority key.

#12) Why doesn't every single very vehicle have a horn? As in "BEEP! BEEP!" A horn can have a variety of meanings such as "Beep! Beep!" get out of the way! conversely it could also mean "Get in here!" etc. depending on the situation

#13) How do I look left or right while piloting a Liberator?
  15. Lethal_Sting

11 - I take it you mapped spot to spacebar? Thing is you tap your spot button to spot. Holding brings up the friendly command menu, as you put it.

12 - That would be nice, who knows why they neglected horns.

13 - I think holding middle mouse button lets you cockpit look.

For your Q2, there are those up/down arrows in the text chat box, they increase/decrease the size of the font. However, I'm young and still find it somewhat difficult to read sometimes. It would also be nice to have a chat box always open. Gets slightly distracting with that popping open and close every few minutes.
  16. ZackSide

this can't be serious....applause to all the kind hearts who went out of their way to answer this...

I am serious though - try actually going through the menus
  17. STeGaMeLiOn

Understood, but how to disengage entirely? I could do without using this feature. Period. When spotting, your really cant tap fast enough and maybe it registers as held because I am tapping so fast. Would prefer to disengage it entirely.

Cockpit Mouse Free Look! there it is. thanks

It could still be bigger :(

Kind hearts indeed!
    From my experience the Planetside 2 community has been very supportive and helpful. I would be glad to return the favor to the next (Gasp!) N O O B
  18. STeGaMeLiOn

Also I found a Bug: one time I fell through the earth on Indar (Mao Main Spawn) while trying to enter a lightning tank.

And speaking of vehicles, why can I not see a list of stores, as in, remaining ammunition from turrets (if Im driving the SUndy or the Liberator or Vanguard etc.(???