M20 Basilisk is too good vs Armor

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Village, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Village

Two gunners in the M20 basilisk can kill a lightning by hitting the front armor quicker than the lightning with the single shot HEAT cannon can. They also kill other sunderers far faster than a typical tank can and they can keep up too, especially with speed. Why would someone take the Fury when the standard weapon kills armor much more easily? Plus they can do everything else. While they are fine vs air and infantry they do far too much damage to heavy armor.
  2. gunshooter

A sunderer which takes 3 people to crew should be the strongest vehicle.
  3. Lord Byte

Instead of chasing after it like an idiot, use your superior manoeuvrability and speed to stay at range and near cover. In that situation the M20 is pretty worthless, while your gun is much better. After you've whittled it down some, then you can chase it down and kill it.

Think! Use your environment, and the tools at your disposal!

Or you could buy a real men's gun and get the AP round ^_^ It's AWESOME!
    • Up x 1
  4. HerpTheDerp

Actually the Basilisk is garbage against infantry. It takes about six shots to kill someone, which is over one second, except for the fact that the accuracy loss with sustained fire is so large that unless you limit yourself to plinking(one shot every half a second or so to let the accuracy cool down inbetween) you won't be able to hit anyone. And if you do plink, well then that's three seconds time to kill... if RNG gods are on your side that day. That's more than enough time for anyone you're shooting at to hide/run.

It is pretty stupid that it's effective against heavy armor though. Especially when both guns are manned, and at short range, I think Basilisk will win a 1v1 against any other armor.
  5. Village

What a pretentious post. The fact that two small M20 Basilisks can kill armor faster than a 100mm HEAT cannon is quite ridiculous regardless of how you play.
  6. Lord Byte

Pretentious: Adjective
    Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

The prowler is a heavily armoured infantry carrier. Just the size difference should give you a good idea. One AP / Missile launcher shot to the back of a Lightning will put it on fire. It takes 6 shells of any tank or so to destroy the prowler, 5 from the back.

It's simple mathematics from here. Your sample size is wrong because you don't take into account the differences in HP of both vehicles.
    No pretension. On launch and in the beta I've killed more than 60 sunderers FROM a Lightning, most WITH gunners. I know what I'm talking about.

The M20 is supposedly a 20mm HMG, the .50BMG , arguably a marginally smaller calibre than the 20MM is known to pierce lightly armoured vehicles.

I do agree that it's quite silly that it can penetrate MBTs (which the lightning isn't) but these are the rules we're given so we're playing in it.
  7. Compass

Wait... the Prowler is an armored infantry carrier? Huuuuuuuh? <_<
    • Up x 1
  8. Mightyhalo

I think he was going for pretentious *** since that's the only time the word is ever used.
  9. T0nyDanza

First off, Probably try armor piercing rounds..light tanks aren't so good vs a Sunderer. Infact you would lose straight up, and rightfully so, if he had 2x anti tank weapons.

Though I would agree the basilisks damage to armor is a little high. However you need to remember, that's what you get in Free to Play. They're basic, default weapons. The entire concept of 'Free to Play' is that basic/default gear should not put you at a distinct disadvantage.
    • Up x 1
  10. Lord Byte

He used it properly, I wasn't being pretentious, just giving my two cents. I've got a ****-load of experience playing the lightning and I think it's severely underrated. Used properly it's an incredibly versatile and powerful vehicle, just don't take anything head-on! If they saw you, you've already lost, it's the ninja of the battlefield!