AA is a "Deterrent"?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Hexley, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Jackflash2

Please, flying in this game with a mouse and keyboard even is a joke. Once you realize they fly more like a "UFO" and less like a jet you'll be better.

edit: This means this is the EASIEST game I've ever flown in.
  2. Pat22

Indeed. The first salvo of rockets won't even come close to killing a sunderer, by the time you've reloaded and are on approach again, it's been repaired to full unless the enemy are *******, and this time they're expecting you so they're in the guns. Assuming you take little damage for the guns, unload your missiles and come around for a third pass, the sunderer's been repaired once more, and you're still being shot at. To top it off, unless you've upgraded your capacity, this is your last set of rockets and you're not bringing that sundy down.
  3. Mericulux

true, but then again AA only tickling pilots so that even the worst players can HURR DURR away is also very stupid for video games.

as the game stands now flight simulator seems like chaos theory compared to skills required to pilot PS2.
  4. Slyguy65

There is no sane person who thinks that...only troll pilots spreading lies so they become less OP
  5. Moxin

Most games are based on real life, but especially FPS war games. Science-Fiction Hollywood movies are not even "future" at all sometimes, starwars is a good example with their world war 2 dogfights.
  6. Tuco

AA is a "Deterrent"?

lol, I glanced read "AA is a detergent".
  7. Gunnisson

BANG, and the dirt is gone.

ESF's remain however.
  8. Tuco

Yeah, George Lucas once commented that his inspiration came from old black and white WW2 movies.

Star Trek is based on Pre-WW2 battleship/dreadnaught combat. I'd more accurately say the inter-war period between WW1 and WW2 where aircraft carriers weren't so overpowering that building battleships was no longer cost effective.
  9. BadLlama

ROFL, man you must be a really bad pilot. That's cool though maybe one day you will learn how to approach vehicles properly and combo your weapons correctly to kill them in one pass. Until then keep your Tom Cruise QQ tears to yourself.
  10. BurialDay

Air doesn't need groups to be effective. When will this get through your terrible brains? It's not balanced if it takes 2-3 SPECIALTY units to take down one cheap and universally effective unit (the ESF).
  11. Dregan

Hmm it seems a lot of people have anecdotes on each side of the fence. They are probably all true at least mostly so instead of tell you a story of unfair fights and borderline situations I will describe a number of scenarios and how I think they should play out.

1 ESF with rocket pods vs. a dual burster MAX. (I will be using this term but any AA FLAK max weapon will do)
    ESF flies in intending to hover, unload its rockets and then fly of. The MAX keeps bursters on the ESF unloading ammo as fast as he can.
    In this scenario the ESF should be scrap metal before it finishes clearing its pods. Their strength should be manoeuvrability and speed. If it gives up these advantages it should be dust.

1 ESF with rocket pods vs. a dual burster MAX.
    The ESF comes in fast and hot only lining up against the MAX to unload its pods. After that it intends to break off and get out of dodge just as fast as it came in. The MAX tries to keep weapons on the ESF and unloads ammo as fast as possible.
    In this scenario the ESF should come out on top. As it goes at full pelt it should not take too many hits from flak. If done by a skilled pilot he should be able to get some good hits on the MAX and if most of the rockets hit he should take out the MAX.

1 ESF with rocket pods vs. 2 dual burster MAXes
    The ESF comes in fast and hot only lining up against the MAXes to unload its pods. After that it intends to break off and get out of dodge just as fast as it came in. The MAXes tries to keep weapons on the ESF and unloads ammo as fast as possible.
    This should be a very high risk manoeuvre to attempt. If the ESF presents itself as a target for too long it should be at heavy risk of being shot down. The ESF will probably have to pull out of the attack before the pods clear to avoid being shot out of the sky.

For HA to serve as a big threat versus even a lone ESF there should be 2-3 the of them. At that point however they should represent a significant threat to both ESF and Liberators.

My point is simply that for a weapon to be a deterrent it has to be a real threat. A WMD would not be a deterrent to attackers if it was not able to wreck unfathomable destruction. Similarly (though at a greatly reduced scale) AA need to be a significant threat to air to be a deterrent.
  12. Mechanought

AA Guns do plenty of damage.

I can knock out quite a few ESFs with even the slightest bit of patience and proper target leading. The secret is SUSTAINED AND ACCURATE FIRE.

Just because you can't hit the damn ESF except for when it's right in your face is no reason to call for a buff on AA guns, or a nerf on Fighters.

Spend some time in a turret+Figure out how to aim at long distances= Profit

Also, rocket pods are not OP. That's just silly.

ESFs are not OP, that's even more silly than rocket pods being OP.

You are all silly.
  13. TheEvilBlight

Perhaps they should increase the cone of rocketpods and add a lock-on-target ground-firing missile. You hold reticle on target until it locks, then fire, wait for the reload animation...and no dumbfire.

I suppose with standoff range and afterburn, it wouldn't be too bad...
  14. omega4

See, it's simple to see that the problem is G2A rockets.

But instead, the PS2 developers would rather stupidly change a whole host of things and destroy the Air v. Ground balance instead, and effectively kill PS2 within 6 months time.

Maybe they're already planning their career exit strategies....

15. Garmerr

Gotta love getting two replies that have absolutely nothing to do with what was actually posted.

Joystick controls are busted as nanites, and just because you want to use a mouse/keyboard doesn't mean that I do. I do perfectly fine in ESFs, so not only have both of you completely ignored the actual issue I was pointing out, you've both decided that I must be bad because I pointed it out. Good to know who the elitists are with useless opinions on the forums, though.
  16. emperorcleon

Actually you are displaying your lack of cognitive abilities by not comprehending the information flow. Aktarus was responding to players who suggested that in real life and Aircraft is more powerful than an AA equipment. He was pointing the obvious flaws in the so called realism argument of other low skill flyboy whiney babies
  17. RetroRayner

You are right about AA and deterent for sure.

Because AA is so bad there is a deterent to use it.
  18. oLd.Sneakers

Oh children.

The stupid shall be punished.
  19. powerz

tell it to my double burster MAX that can clear the skies with impunity.
  20. failbot

Air should be the only hard counter to air. Much like ground vehicles should only be hard countered by other vehicles.