I know you vehicle people wont like this but, infantry need it.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by XLander, Dec 6, 2012.

1. MobileAssaultDuck

You want to punish players for using good tactics?
  2. daskleineviech

I am playing against the odds actually. I'm TR on Lithcorp and I fight 90% of my time on Esamir (because fighting on Hoth as the "evil empire" is cool) and it's populated by 40 - 50% Vanu most of the times, the rest are disorganised TR and NC. But again, it's not the problem of spawn camping and can't be solved by punishing tanks, planes and even infantrymen shooting at the red gates.

The reason is that people like to win, no matter what. You will win more often if you are in the biggest faction on the continent, so people warp to their "home" continent (on Lithcorp it's Indar for TR, Esamir for VS and Amaresh falls normally to VS or TR because NC is useless as usual). This can't even be resolved easily, there must be a reason to fight losing battles, which is possible even if there's spawn camping going on.

I've been carpet bombed myself many times, even on "safe" places, but there was never a time I couldn't spawn anywhere. If need be, you can always fall back to the warp gate, which usually happens anyway if you lose enough fights. The only thing I could think of is an exp malus for over pop factions. If you are 40% of the server, you get -7% exp. But that would hurt people for playing the game, so I guess double the exp bonus for under pop is a better solution.
  3. DeadlyShoe

Amp station spawn is somewhat underrated. The bastion exit is mostly protected and grants a lot of mobility through the jump pads.
  4. dooder

Solution, go spawn somewhere else -_-. You have a 64km², lots of ways to flank and ambush incomming attacks, and you chose to take the same spawn over and over again?
  5. Aghar30

This would make shuttiing down an SCU impossible against anyone with half a brain.
  6. Darkian

These SCU's are only on the outposts, and not primary bases, and they are only a way to keep your enemy from spawning while you capture the base, you can still capture it without destroying the SCU, it just adds an extra level to the defense and tactics for taking outposts, rather then just having tanks spawn camp the spawn shack while 6 people sit on the capture point.
  7. sideshow

@daskleineviech having xp bonus/penalty work per continent instead of per server is a fantastic idea
  8. MobileAssaultDuck

9. Gavyne

There comes a time in all games and sports, that you realize you've lost. When it comes down to being spawn camped, you've lost that base. The game is just being nice by giving you a sanctuary building to not get killed upon respawn. You want to know what real spawn camping looks like, try playing Battlefield 3, where you truly get spawn camped. No sanctuary room there, you could respawn and get shot right in the head where you stand.

My favorite thing to do when spawn camped is to simply spawn elsewhere, preferably where I could get the resources I need. Depending on the situation I may want to spawn where I can fly a jet, because you know air dominates tanks, air also shoots down air, plus a jet can reach the spawn room from anywhere in the world within 30 seconds. I would also try to make a difference by re-taking nearby supply bases, and get ready to mount a counter offensive. Sometimes all I needed to do was to deploy a sunderer so people could spawn outside of the spawn room. If I get lucky and our side repairs the generators and retake some adjacent bases, I have seen our faction come out on the top even after being spawn camped.

The absolute key difference when we've come out on top and pushed the attackers out is by NOT respawning at the spawn spot over and over when you realize it's lost. The time you've wasted by either respawning and running out to get killed, or respawning and standing inside the spawn room playing with your thumbs, it's precious time you've lost where you could've done something good by respawning elsewhere.

Think outside the box people, stop asking for things to get changed just because things didn't go your way. Imagine if the devs really changed the tech plant after people complained about it being a meatgrinder, without realizing there were more than just 2 side door entrances. That would've been a travesty if tech plants were changed given all the tactics that people eventually discovered and are now being used. Tech plant right now is one of my favorite spots to fight because not only is it attackable and defensible, but it's one of the best exp grind spots in the game.
    • Up x 1
  10. StoneRhino

The problem came up before as there are those times when 30 tanks are sitting around firing HE shells at a spawn door. The individual suggested building this or that around the spawn room to stop the camping. The problem, and my answer was, "no matter what they build, they will simply camp those points instead." If you increase the number of doors, they will fire at them. If they make tunnels, they will camp those. Make some structures that block LOS to the spawn doors and they will camp those instead.

The problem is not that 30 tanks are camping your spawn room, the problem comes down to the fact that you and everyone else there are giving them something to shoot at. If you run out, expect to be blasted. If it happens a few times and you got nowhere, go to the next location and get ready for them there. If you decide to run out, make sure you are doing so knowing you are going to die soon, so make it count.

What the problem is, is that there are 30 tanks that are still active. 30 tanks that need to be destroyed. What needs to be done is to find a way to constantly kill one. This destroys resource points and gives the driver a timer. Do that enough times and the advantage the other side has is gone.

I personally LOVE destroying tanks while I am playing infantry. To me, its art. It is also a science. It is also extremely fun. But, even though there are times where I can spawn and destroy a tank on my own, I know that at a certain point I have to expect zero gain for each life I attempt to smash a tank. There is also a point where I know that I have no chance because there are 30 HExplosive campers out there and as bad as they might be, that is still to many big guns and as slow as some of them are, they eventually learn when you destroy their friends with ease. When that point is reached it is time to head to the next location to get ready and kill a few, then repeat at another location. Eventually I will roll a tank of my own, and or the rest of the nc will start to pull one and we will slowly destroy enough tanks that the fight becomes balanced out.

Unfortunately though, there is nothing soe can do to address your problem without being crazy which will only cause the vehicle drivers to do what you are doing now. You have a counter, but you just decided not to use it, just like the rest of your side, myself, and my side as well at times.
  11. lordprinceps

the game allows people to fly MBT's on top of galaxies. did the devs intend for people to do that?
  12. AnnPerkins

uhh. You know how to counter tanks camping your bases spawn? Build a farking sundy at one of the nearby outposts drive it over to the wall and deploy. Tada! Now you have a new spawn point not being camped!