The Three Degress of Cloaking

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by bluEyedillusions, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Aktarus

everything i can think about it as been said here....

you just forgot to mention the 4th state of cloaking, the one that happens most often : The dead "not so much" translucent carpet guy that as been med range pwned while cloaked and couldnt fire back/drop he's mine <or insert any other random action you planed to do here> due to the uncloak time , the terrible translucent cloak that everyone can see and the fast TTK. :)
  2. PieBringer

Well, there's a reason that cloaking with incomplete transparency was created for video games: Stealth classes should be more about awareness of your surroundings, evading enemies, and striking while they aren't looking. Not simply pressing a button and becoming entirely immune to being detected. Take advantage of enemies being distracted by allies or other enemies, take advantage of enemies looking the wrong way, and most importantly, do NOT fall for bait.

Once again, I agree that cloaking isn't as useful as it could be. No hacking an enemy terminal while cloaked? No overloading a generator/SCU while cloaked? Very audible cloaking and de-cloaking sound? If the translucency wasn't so poor while moving while outside 10+ meters of an enemy, I could understand the sound being audible, but it would still have to be QUIETER than it is now.

However, don't take this this as a sign that I want a bunch of new guys running around with invisibility and stuff. The difficulty of infiltrating should always be far more dependent on how aware your enemies are than it is on your own upgrades.

Edit: On a related note as usual, did you know that IRNV scopes can actually see cloaked Infiltrators? Think of anyone using an IRNV scope something like an enemy in a stealth game that has an active ability to slightly slow their movement speed in order to detect you far more easily, and from farther away. If you see an enemy that you suspect, or even KNOW has one such sight-mod, it's fairly mandatory that you stay OUT of their hearing range when activating or turning off your cloak, and ALWAYS stay out of line of sight with them. I know this might seem "easier said than done", but that's where you're wrong. It's FAR easier SAID than done.

Unless your only enemies A. don't have sound turned on, B. either are oblivious to light-distortions or don't render the cloaking effect alltogether, and C. for some reason look away just as your cloak is about to run out.
  3. m44v

Nobody is asking for complete invisibility, just for a cloak that's useful. Right now you either have to be a master ninja or fight against BR1 for the cloak to not be an hindrance.
  4. PieBringer

Battle Rank is not indicative of the experience of the Player behind the character, only how long the character has been played.

And yes, I don't want to have to be a MASTER OF STEALTH to be an effective Infiltrator. However, I don't want it to just be an IWIN button. What we need is more tools for staying hidden, and tweaks to our currently existing tools.

As it stands, the classes and vehicles are the children of the "project". The Infiltrator is one of the few that wasn't breast-fed, and thus, knows no love. Please, in the name of love, SOE, show the Infiltrator that it's not just an unwanted miss-hap.
  5. Zache

I would like a real confirmation that this works. Personal POV means nothing. I want to see what the cloaks look like through the enemies eyes because as far as I'm concerned this is only a visual glitch affecting the user.
  6. Caspartine

Well even if what the OP says and tries do proof by a vid (add external POV pls, not only you looking at your scope) is true, as stated many times before, your cloak lasts like what, 12s? The sound of it can be heard half through the bio lab by anyone. With decent headset you know level, direction and rough distance. So it's not like - oh, I hear footsteps my way, I'll duck here and blend in, while they run by and then proceed unnoticed. It's a nice observation with no practical use.
    • Up x 1
  7. Lazaruz

- Vehicle and infantry night vision lights you up.
    - Distinctive sound made by cloaking and de-cloaking gives even blind people a fair chance of finding you.
    - Cloak is useless unless you're crouching and staying still, or sniping from the edge of the draw distance.
    - The fact that the cloaking effect is about 5 times more visible on high graphics settings compared to low settings is just icing on the cake...

Having the cloak at it's current state is just not worth the downsides that come with playing an "infiltrator" (not a sniper).
  8. Rigsta

Huh, I hadn't noticed the difference between standing still and crouching. Thanks for posting :)

As for the negativity and doubt, welcome to the PS2 forums :(

EDIT: And grats on the dev recognition!
  9. bluEyedillusions

Hey no problem :)

I decided to go ahead and do exactly that. Here's a video from the outside looking in.

• Up x 1
  10. 2Robins

On a lighter note I have been having more luck just standing in the corner of bases uncloaked, five times now groups of anywhere from 1-6 people have just ran right by me as I stand in the corner uncloaked haha.
  11. Caspartine

Thanks for the effort put in doing that. I was curious myself, so we tested it yesteraday with my buddy cloaker. The issue still stands though. If the cloak only lasts 12s and is announced by that terribly loud fart sound, the benefits of this are quite limited. If the cloak ever gets revamped in any way though, this might become very usefull observation, so thumbs up anyway!
  12. MrMacaroli

This is really, really useful to know and use! Thank you for sharing and giving video evidence. Hopefully the stalker cloak comes in-- because if it functions the same way, this could be a really really good way of minimizing detection. Cloak & dagger all the way.
  13. Wobberjockey

it's useful to know, but the time to get that effect greatly limits the utility.

having to spend 1/6 to 1/3 of your cloak time still and couching to hide from a single enemy who may or may not move past you in the allotted time is a VERY risky move
  14. m44v

we should just switch to light assault, they don't even need a cloak.
    • Up x 1
  15. Daejin

Actually, I tested this with a few friends. You're wrong. The degree of cloak does NOT change at all on medium-high graphic settings. (Didn't both to test low). All it does is shrink your over-all mass thus making it "harder" to spot.

******* wow... Imagine if he had 3 grenades to use in those rooms...
  16. Raines

@m44v: If you are going to suggest we switch to LA, at least tell us your loadout and what you have spent your certs on.

But THAT is what an Infiltrator should be able to do!
  17. Fishie

I wish I could just be Light Assault with an Infiltrator outfit. :p

It's so styling, but oh so punishing... Well, it wouldn't be so bad if the Nyx did more than tickle, I guess.
  18. Kurotoshiro

Coming from PS1, I'm used to crouch while cloaked so I already saw this. But the problem is that it takes too much time to get to the 3rd state and with our superior 12s cloak using 1/4 of this time to get it is useless
  19. bluEyedillusions

Then would you please explain to me why, in the video I made and posted above, there is a very clear difference in cloak levels while crouching? I made that video using High settings.

No, it's NOT just a matter of being smaller. Look at my first video as well on the first page (in first person) and you can see there's very much a difference.

There is no argument here; YOU are wrong. I've proven it through videos and seeing is believing. You have yet to provide any evidence to actually counter it.

I'm apparently not the first to figure this out and I've found posts from people in beta who had to explain exactly what I've explained in this thread: that crouching improves cloak. Apparently, it was a pretty common knowledge thing in beta (and indeed, Planetside 1).
  20. Daejin

Went back and checked again and while I can (barely) see what your point is, there is virtually no difference at all. The difference is so small, I have to focus hard to see it.

Bottom line is, it's not that large of a difference to make it a valid point to the over-all question of how effective our cloak is. The biggest problem with that is, you get to crouch for less than 10 seconds. Not worth anything as far as infiltration goes. The Stalker Cloak will literally fix the entire issue people have. (Except the ones sayin' the cloak is 100% worthless, and is seen no matter what.)

*EDIT*
    Btw, what level is yours and his cloak? I want to see if the cert level is the difference.