"Random" FPS drops (in big battles or solo)

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Boom929, Dec 2, 2012.

1. xpsyclosarinx

Yep I've been getting the same,

Totally random drops to 0FPS-10FPS, it's entirely unplayable, you can't even move yourself.

Also I've noticed that after being in a big battle no matter where I go I always wind up never being able to get higher than 40FPS, ever, not even back at the warpgate where I usually get 90ish. Kind of irritating

Phenom 2 x4 3.3ghz
    HD 5870
    8GB G-Skill RAM
  2. Heli12345

Alright, I just downloaded the latest drivers (310.70 Beta) for the Nvidia GeForce line. They say they are suppose to increase performance with Planetside 2, among other games, but I will report back soon once I know for sure.
  3. Heli12345

It's been over an hour since updating my drivers, and I haven't had a single issue. Everyone with Nvidia cards, update to 310.70 beta, it might fix the problem.
  4. sebo

i don't see anything on nvidia about any performance increase in planetside.. to be honest, i find the lack of support from them on this game rather poor. they seem too focused on Farcry and other "Blockbuster" games at the moment.
  5. Heli12345

It wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, but I read it on their forum post earlier today.
  6. Alexlightning7

Same problem, started alittle bit ago. Possibly the 29th like some people have said.
    HP DV6 laptop
    7690m XT overclocked
    i5-2520m 3.2Ghz
    8Gb RAM

Playing maxed settings.
    This never used to happen, but now after aliitle bit I get drops to 0-10 fps.

Definitly not heat. Even with my overclocked GPU it never goes over 70.

I hope they get it fixed, one time it happened in the middle of a dogfight. not fun for me.
  7. Heli12345

Seems the issue still exists for me. Not as bad as before, but still rather annoying. At least it is much more playable for me.
  8. Boom929

Happening a LOT more the last few days. I've been busy at work but was able to jump on tonight. I could only play for about 45 minutes because I got fed up with these massive drops in FPS after they happened seven times.

Hoping the next optimization update solves this issue. This is very clearly not due to insufficient system requirements.
  9. Langeball

I have this too, maybe the worst of all. I have 20 lag free seconds of gameplay, then 20 seconds of 0-5 fps, repeat. Alt tabbing out TWICE removes it, but it starts again after 20 seconds so there is little point. I don't remember it being this bad in the beginning.
  10. Temunjin

OK guys, I've had the same problem as you all on my i7 2670 for my alienware m14x.
    My issue, was, that my core temps were reaching far too high on my i7 quad core. playing planetside 2 my max readings were 97c. That's just insane and at those temperatures down throttling kicked in. This lead to me having huge frame rate drops (down to 5fps) every few seconds. For me it was about 10 seconds normal fps followed by about 5 seconds of EXTREMELY low fps. This made the game unplayable.
    Now, I fixed my problem:
    Firstly let me just say throttlestop is a fix. I had no issues with fps after turning it on. BUT, my core temps reached 99c which is dan gerous even for i7 so i do not recommend throttlestop at all (theres a reason for downthrottling).

In the end after trying every possible solution i could find, the most effective fix, i found, was turning off intel's turbo boost function. This reduced my planetside 2 temperatures to max of 82c. No more downthrottling occured and i lost about 1-2 fps (yeah, only 2)
    The best thing is this is completely safe and can be undone very easilly is it doesn't work.
    To do this just spam f2 when turning on your laptop and then head to the advanced tab and disable 'Intel Turbo'.

TL DR: disable intel turbo.
  11. Dhart

I use an AMD HD 5800 series... happens to me too however most of the time it causes the whole client to crash. I think I've only recovered once in game by deploying somewhere else.

I posted yesterday that my game has been going well last few weeks... only to have it crash 4 times today.

There was another thread about Sony storing huge 'crash reports', etc on your HDD. I found 3GB worth... WERxxxxx etc... in the Temp folder- it's AppData/Local/Temp or SCE for Win7 users. Talking some significant data files.

Almost have to wonder what Sony loaded onto my machine with the game... wondering if what-ever it is... is responsible for the crashes themselves. Seriously... 1.7GB crash file?
  12. fanthom

I have the same problem with the game, the FPS just drops all the way down to 0-5 FPS and I have no other choice but to ALT-TAB to close the game and re-launch. No overheating issue, the monitor just doesn't read it right. Why is this an issue ?
  13. Rulistic

A lot of problems with fps is due to internet. If you notice PS2 is one of the few games that you don't get rubber banded when you get a lag spike. Instead you get things like FPS drop. Or if it is just normal FPS issues open your useroptions.ini you can setthing lower then you can in game.
    [Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    RenderQuality=0.500000
    FullscreenWidth=1024
    FullscreenHeight=768
    WindowedWidth=1356
    WindowedHeight=740
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=500
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=75
    UseLod0a=1
    OverallQuality=1
    LightingQuality=1
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=0
    ModelQuality=1
    VerticalFOV=30
    ParticleLOD=0
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.650000
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    MotionBlur=0
    VSync=0
    AO=0

[Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=0.340000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=0.430000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=0
    MaxVoices=10

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=Off
  14. fanthom

I use the nVidia panel also to solve most of my issues, there is a setting when you go under Manage 3D settings that lets you select the Power management mode, I set that option to Prefer maximum performance, for global settings and for the program settings, in this case Planetside 2. It resolved the issue so far for me, I'm not sure if there is an option like that in the ATI panel. Also if you want you can try to tweek the game with the panel by following the Borderlands 2 tweek guide on the nVidia geforce page.
  15. Stongtea

Still Getting these issues. Anyone else suggest solutions?
  16. McToast

Moin

I have the same issue. Happens without a pattern visible to me. It can happen while I'm driving my sundy with nobody around me or in a large fight where my fps are low anyway. I don't have the best rig, it's rather lowend for this game, but usually it runs just fine with everything on low/disabled. But sometimes I have this weird fps drops. It goes down to 0/1, basically it's a freeze for 2-3 seconds. Sometimes I can play a whole evening with only 3-4 of this drops, sometimes it happens every 3 minutes. I think I've crashed my ESF more often because of this than I've been shot down by enemy fighters >_>. Switching too often between game and desktop seems to increase the frequency, but that may be imagination.

My comp:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 3,2 GHz OC
    Nvidia Geforce GTS 450 MSI Cyclone
    4x1GB Corsair CM2X 6400@ 800 MHz
    on an Asus p5k
    with Win7 64bit

Coretemps never go above 50° while playing ps2, so I don't think it's the heat. Somewhere I heard it could be intels speed step, but disabling that didn't kill the problem. My next thought was that it could be the low amount of RAM I've got or the HDD, but then people with a lot more Memory and various HDDs/SSDs have this issue too. Seems to me that it's a problem in the game core.

Grüße,
    regards,
    the Toast
  17. MorganM

I've had this problem too for a few weeks now. It never happened a month or so ago. Seemingly random... happens in big battles... small battles... nobody around... in vehicles... as infantry...

Model: Dell Studio Slim 540s
    Processor: Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4gHz 8MB L2 (It's equivalent to an i5)
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Hard Drive: 500GB Samsung 7200 RPM SATA 16MB cache
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB DDR
  18. Tragachinos

Started to have those random drops too since GU04. It suddenly drops to 5-10 fps, after a minute or so it goes back up to 50-60 again, and then another drop... Restarting the game seems to help, until those fps hiccups appear again. On fps counter when the fps drops occur it says that CPU is bottlenecking it but in task manager PS2 doesn't have even a single core loaded to 100% (Normally it's 50-59 fps and artificially bottlenecked by vsync)

I5-2500K Quad @ 3,3 GHz
    GTX 660 Ti 2 GB (314.07 drivers)
    8 GB Ram
    Win 7 64 bit(SP1)
  19. Stongtea

So I cured this, by updating to newest nVidia drivers and the following useroptions.ini. Worth saying I have now suffered GU04 framerate loss, and the game looks god awful

Code:
    [Display]
    FullscreenRefresh=0
    Maximized=0
    FullscreenWidth=1366
    FullscreenHeight=768
    WindowedWidth=1024
    WindowedHeight=768
    RenderQuality=0.855800
    Mode=Fullscreen
    FullscreenMode=Fullscreen

[Rendering]
    GraphicsQuality=1
    TextureQuality=1
    ShadowQuality=0
    RenderDistance=1000.000000
    Gamma=0.000000
    MaximumFPS=250
    UseLod0a=0
    VSync=0
    OverallQuality=-1
    LightingQuality=1
    FogShadowsEnable=0
    EffectsQuality=1
    TerrainQuality=1
    FloraQuality=0
    RenderFlora=Off
    ParticleDistanceScale=0.500000
    EffectsDistanceScale=0.500000
    FloralDistanceScale=0.000000
    ModelQuality=1
    ParticleLOD=0
    MotionBlur=0
    ParticleQuality=0
    FloralLOD=0
    TerrainLOD=0
    AO=0

[Controls]
    CameraAutoAdjustment=1
    ClickToMove=0
    ClickToMoveRightButton=0
    RailCamera=1

[Sound]
    Master=1.000000
    Music=1.000000
    Game=1.000000
    Dialog=1.000000
    UI=1.000000
    UseFloat32Output=0
    ExclusiveMode=0
    HitIndicator=1
    LowAmmoIndicator=1
    VehicleChatter=1

[ImageCapture]
    OutputFolder=C:\Users\Rob\Pictures\Planetside2
    OutputFilePrefix=screenshot.jpg

[VideoCapture]
    Resolution=2
    Quality=100
    WorkingDir=C:\Users\Rob\Videos\Planetside2
    OutputFile=VideoCaptureOutput.avi

[VideoStreamer]
    Resolution=1
    Fps=30
    Kbps=0
    MicRecordVolume=0.000000
    SpeakerRecordVolume=1.000000
    Username=

[Terrain]
    RenderFlora=On

[AutoRefuse]
    FriendInvitation=0
    DuelInvitation=0
    GuildInvitation=0
    HideUi=1
    TradeRequest=0
    HousingInvitation=0
    GroupInvitation=0

[General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0

[Video]
    VideoCapturePrefix=PS2Video

[VoiceChat]
    EchoEnabled=1
    EchoVolume=0.500000
    ProximityEnabled=1
    ProximityVolume=0.500000
    FactionEnabled=1
    FactionVolume=0.500000
    GroupEnabled=1
    GroupVolume=0.500000
    GroupLeaderEnabled=1
    GroupLeaderVolume=0.500000
    RaidEnabled=1
    RaidVolume=0.500000
    GuildEnabled=1
    GuildVolume=0.500000
    CustomEnabled=1
    CustomVolume=0.500000
    InputDevice=Default System Device
    OutputDevice=Default System Device

[Voice]
    ReceiveVolume=50.000000
    MicrophoneVolume=50.000000

[UI]
    MapZoomLevel=6
    MapPositionX=11.53210187626648
    MapPositionY=-86.48207091992188
    ShowMapTutorial=0
    MapCenterOnPlayer=0
    HudTintMode=2
    HudTintColorVS=6489184
    ShowCertsTutorial=0
    MapActiveToggleView=0
    MapStatisticsView=0

20. DanMan3395

I can give you the answer but use it at your own risk. The reason this happens is that because Laptops have a MUCH lower TDP than desktops so the manufacturers build in Throttling to prevent over draw of amperage from the PS. Happens even on big dog gaming laptops.

The ONLY solution is to run a program called throttlestop. its free and forces throttling to not occur. Bear in mind this game could melt a servers PS let alone a desktop or laptop. so monitor temps when you use it. It WILL solve your FPS issue though.