Sad Little Outfits and Never Ending Infantry

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by CitizenSoldier, Dec 5, 2012.

1. WileeDarklight

> complains about organized players taking objective points.
    > doesn't try to stop them.

I think I see the problem here...
  2. Sexx

I think OP is not so much mocking small outfits but pointing out that right now there are just 2 flavors of ground game: zerg rush & ghost capping. If SOE doesn't find a way to reliably generate smaller fights for smaller squads and outfits, seems hard for me to imagine sticking with this game for long.

Personally, I love big battles but they get REALLY tedious when there is no variety to the size of fights. I hate ghost capping (probably everyone does) but ghostcapping in a zerg has to be the lamest and most boring thing I have ever done in a videogame.
  3. Morpholine

So, in a massively multiplayer online first person shooter, he's looking for small, squad-on-squad action, and not large scale battles or (virtually) uncontested territory captures.

You know, the last time I drove a Mercedes, it was terrible as an off-road mudding truck.
  4. Sparks

It's because in big fights the infantry render distance is just total bs, today for the first time in my 25 year life I rage quitted a video game. Here's what happens:
    *You look around and do a quick scan of the path in front of you*
    *ok, looks like everythings clear here*
    *walk 1ft forward on the path you just scanned*
    1000 VS/NC suddenly render 2ft in front of you and instant death happens.

FIX NEEDED ASAP!

But then again I could always go cap empty hexes or go back to rocket podding everything back to oblivion for easy xp I guess untill SOE fixes this.

PS: My PC is more then capable of running ps2 on high settings so don't bring that point up.
  5. WileeDarklight

It wouldnt be your PC anyway, the game limits render distance because that just means more surface area for your Bandwidth to sweat over. The network software on an MMOFPS like this must be rediculous :S
  6. PraxisMajor

I've actually been in plenty of squads that go off and cap surrounding areas that the enemy doesn't really pay attention to. Once a few people from the other side notice what you are doing (which is often much slower than it should be) you can get into some pretty interesting fights that are more satisfying than the huge zerg battles.

I'll also spend time going off to defend territory that is being attacked in the same way with similar results.

So I'd personally say that going around in these little outfits attacking or defending can be more rewarding than just following around your biggest force. It's likely the only way any side is going to keep much control over a continent without a decent population advantage.
  7. Sparks

I know it is but it's also what totally ruins large infantry fights in biodomes/tech plants for me, lucky for me I enjoy flying my mossy more most of the time. AMP stations seem to be a little better because people are more spread out there.
  8. {joer

OP this is how it works for us.

Take a undefended/lightly defended outpost.
    "They" start to come.
    Defend it vrs small groups as long as we can.
    Sooner or later the zerg shows up. At this point move to another one.

We gets lots of fun, and don't have to join the mindless horde to get fights.
    • Up x 1
  9. WileeDarklight

So YOU'RE the reason we're fighting is such seemingly random locations! :D
  10. Auto_Bob

The map has a feature that gives you an idea of how dense enemy forces are in a location. If you see some in a weird place, it may very well be some of these ghost cappers.

1. Hop in a vehicle and head over there.
    2. Point gun at ghost cappers and pull the trigger.
    3. ???
    4. Profit.

My group does this pretty often with just a squad loaded into a sunderer. It usualy results in a pretty good fight.

If thats not your cup of tea, then most of the bases have forward bases, outposts with teleporters in them, or nearby vehicle pads that can spawn sunderers, reload towers for aircraft etc. Try taking those from the attackers, or holding on to one that they are trying to take. It usually doesn't involve the whole zerg, and can be lots of fun.
  11. Maidere

There's no "spec-ops" in this game. And no need for it. Is it a problem? For me - yes.
  12. Ganelon

Right, so you would rather have all outfits fighting over the giant *********** called "the crown"? Camping the VS and NC warpgate with 16 people (8 on each) was probably a better idea (let the pugs cap everything behind us while we prevent them from coming out/let them waste all their resources on us).
  13. Delax

This is how we as a small outfit operate. We can't assault huge plants on our own if there is a lot of enemy troops. So what do we do? We move a tile ahead of the zerg, hack terminals and wait for the switch and as soon as it does the tile we have just occupied stands absolutely no chance against our presence and the incoming fleet of platoons.

That is how we play our "spec ops" style.

To the OP.

http://2.bp.************/-DGGcdZ4KYbA/T5FeDLPuJJI/AAAAAAAACKo/2ofTef2oC0w/s1600/good-good-let-the-jimmies-rustle-through-you.png
  14. Morpholine

What "spec ops" were there in PS1, anyway? Base draining, gen holds, and towers of death.

Can't drain a base - just take it from them.

Want a gen hold? Bust into that turtled tech plant or bio lab and hold on to the shield gen for all you're worth.

Tower of death? Just as feasible, if slightly less defensible.

I guess the whole "My entire platoon holes up somewhere and slaughters the stragglers that come to fix the problem we created" is a bit less easy, but I don't see that as a bad thing.
  15. Drellings

I'am pretty sure the OP here is one of those people that slug it out at a amp station wiht 12% influence wondering why it wont happen while me and my buds go cap the adjacent hexes to boost influence allowing them to finally cap with with a confused look on their face liek "wow wonder how we suddenly got it to happen " point im trying to make is a lot of people dont understand influence and make silly threads like this one.
  16. Drellings

Not to mention that if you start taking their land they are forces to retreat and ease off of the "big station battles"
  17. Maidere

Nope. Usually they simply dont care.
  18. TatharNuar

Cert into C4, medical kits, restoration kits, the various types of grenades, proximity mines, tank mines, and a reduced MAX timer. You'll never be able to stay stocked with any of them at that point.
  19. Drellings

True enough but if they keep not caring soon enough we have all the adjacent hexes to the meatgrinder and then oh look we cap it.
    I'am just saying people need to understand influence and learn to have more than 10% influence on large bases before throwing resources and time into it. Having 60-80% influence on a amp station means 1 that youll cap faster on the point than if you had 10% and 2 that the enemy can enter that large hex through less areas making it more of a funnel for the defenders.

is there anything wrong with people grinding it out on amp stations they cant hope to cap? no i suppose not as long as they are having a good time doing it and i suppose in some sense they are at least keeping some of the enemy busy right? but i do think they would in a squad helping protect the adjacent hexes instead of acting like lemmings and leaping to there death.

THAT all being said make an outfit or join and outfit and be productive no sense in complaining on the forums about ghost capers when really they arent a problem and if your in a platoon with some half decent players youll be to busy whooping *** to really care about ghost capers anyhow right?
  20. Ruairi

It's a valid tactic. I was part of a platoon last night on Briggs that dedicated one squad to 'Operation: Look at me'. We did exactly that, carved control around the perimeter of the tech and bio labs so that our main force (and pugs) could go in strong. It also dispersed the enemy as they respond to all the flashies on the map.