What's the point?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by luciusETRUR, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Hoppy17

It's just I'm all for more in depth gameplay. I kinda feel planetside doesn't grasp the MMO part of mmofps (besides just having a bunch of people on one map, and there's more to MMOs than lot's of people). So I agree that improving the MMO aspect is in order, I just would like to see more feedback and suggestions, so I was curious in your ideas.
  2. ShriekXL

You do know what MMO stands for, right?
  3. Ciarlini

I guess what OP meant, was that the game doesn't have a feel of Accomplishment unless you create that feeling to yourself. I agree with him in certain points, but I also believe that this was clarified when they launched the game.

For the detailed things, I have one suggestion. Tell me if you agree with me:

The bases, and Special Outposts ( The Crown, The Blockade,...) Should give Itens for the faction. Demonstrating it, when you dominate a Bio Lab it would give all the faction the Nano-Weave armor 2, so every grunt in the faction would be able to have it while the faction hold the place. If people would like to have it all the time they could buy it as it is now, and have it all the time.

I know there are some issues with the Idea, but please do tell what you think about it.
  4. Hoppy17

Massive Multiplayer Online. Does that mean if a game can support more players on a given map/world that it's a better MMO than one that supports a little less? No. MMOs are a little deeper than that.
  5. Goosey28

What if the bases themselves have upgrades? And the longer a faction holds it, different aspects of a base would be auto-upgraded

Hell, something like upgrading defenses over time (aa becoming somewhat useful), give 'em better optics (zoom/thermal) or bigger munitions, crap have satellite uplinks that can occasionally show enemy movements for the section (not per se where each unit is, but like a general presence/size). That would make me want to sack the base and hold it.
  6. Hoppy17

Interesting concept. Personally it wouldn't give me that much more motivation to take a base (I don't see much of a difference with whatever things you get by taking a base, whether it be extra resources or items like you suggest). Could appeal to some people though, I don't know. It might drive people away from capturing/defending certain bases if they already have the item being given (very few people most likely though). I don't think this would completely solve the problem of deeper gameplay/purpose for the majority of people having this problem though. Just be an extra carrot on a stick. Just my 2 cents.
  7. ShriekXL

What exactly are you comparing the MMOFPS to? MMORPG's? Because MMO means just that: massively multiplayer online.
  8. Hoppy17

I never mentioned anything about RPGs, so no. I'm saying there's more to MMOGs than having a large amount of people. A game that supports 1000 players will not be consider a better MMO than one that only supports 500 players in a given world, regardless if it's an MMORPG or MMOFPS. There's an aspect of interaction between players that helps create a good MMO. If a game supported 5000 players, but every player is playing it like a single player game and not interacting with each other in any way, that game has failed as an MMO.
  9. Goosey28

The underlying issue with all of this is the resouces system. Its configured so that sections represent various resources and/or tiny perks, but you cannot attack the resource/benefit you want because of the updated territory capture process.

Its like trying to move your bishop on a monopoly board.
    • Up x 1
  10. ShriekXL

Again, what are you comparing it to?
  11. Hoppy17

Comparing what? Planetside? Nothing, I'm talking how I feel. The better than comparisons examples I was using? It was just that, examples. Doesn't matter what title you want to stick on them, it's not the point I was making.
  12. Orbital_Butt

As far as I know MMO means Massively Multiplayer Online

As in it's massive, there are many people playing it, and it is online

It is a prefix, it has a definition, and that's what it is

I really hope we don't need a word by word breakdown of what the individual words mean when juxtaposed with one another, like I really really really hope we aren't at that point
  13. Hoppy17

FPS = First Person Shooter. Shooting things, in first person. Is that the only qualification a FPS needs to be a good FPS? No. There are good FPS, there are bad FPS. Just like there are good MMOs, and bad ones. Try again mate. RPG? Role playing game. A game that lets you role play. Does a game need to just let you be able to role play and it's automatically a good RPG? Racing? Just need to race anything around a track and it's good? Do I really need to continue?
  14. Orbital_Butt

No, but it is the only qualification needed to be CONSIDERED an FPS. Good or Bad are subjective

If you still don't understand, as long as a person is both a

Hom0 (yeah lol I get it)

and a

Sapiens

Then THEY ARE A HUMAN BEING. "GOOD" AND "BAD" ARE SUBJECTIVE ASSESSMENTS AND NOWHERE IN ANYTHING I WROTE WILL YOU SEE THE THOSE WORDS

Edit: 'cause I'm a big boy grownup now and won't say the bad things to the internet
  15. Hoppy17

Well thank you for agreeing with me then. I never said Planetside wasn't an MMO, just that it didn't do a good job at being an MMO. Probably because people believed all you need to do is stick a bunch of players on a big map and it's a good MMO...
  16. Orbital_Butt

As an extended olive branch since we both seem a little involved in this, and so my Flaming Gland doesn't over-work itself I'll say this

I miss a lot of the old MMORPG aspects of the first PlanetSide. I miss my backpack and I miss looting Jackhammers :C

I'll go back and edit out some of the vitriol

I'm glad we agree (?I think?)
  17. Hoppy17

:L Fair enough.

I wouldn't mind if they brought those elements back. Those were nice.
  18. Orbital_Butt

I kinda stopped trying to reconcile PS1 and PS2. The elements that are gone completely, have changed (for better and for the worse), or are brand new have just made the experience beyond "This is a Great Big Game in which to shoot one another" so different I have trouble thinking that any comparisons I make between the two are just gonna turn into an obnoxious apples and oranges dialogue
    • Up x 1
  19. Mockeryangel

I think the problem is the lack of any actual true victory makes things seem meaningless for players, in battlefield you play to win and you are rewarded with the victory screen good feelings all around, here you drive the enemy back to their warpgate but that's not a solid "win" like in battlefield in a few hours they'll be out and about again.

I'm not sure how to solve it though other than adding an explicit and kinda patronising "victory" popup and voiceover with stats everytime you capture or defend something.
    • Up x 1
  20. Hoppy17

Meh, no. I feel we should be moving forward and not back to the old victory screen for every good thing you do. I think there are more creative ways to add a feeling of victory. I think if there were more objectives besides capturing bases, people would feel more useful and fulfilled (for lack of a better term due to my lack of vocabulary >,<)
    • Up x 1