Planetside 2 not working after I updated from Win 7 Ultimate 32 to 64

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by KimoXeno, Dec 4, 2012.

1. KimoXeno

I installed planetside 2 on win 7 32 on my portable hard drive which worked decently on my PC then I upgraded to windows 7 64 bit with the same game installed. Now planetside2.exe is not working and when i try it with the launcher it works normally but when i launched it all I get is a black screen and then it crashes saying it stopped working. when i tried validating my game assets it downloaded some files but still didn't work. My system specifications are : Pentium Dual Core E5700 @ 3.00 Ghz , Nvidia GT 630 2 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz, 6GB RAM, Direct X 11.

Please reply ASAP.
  2. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

Your current system specifications should definitely be able to run PlanetSIde 2.

Please make sure that you have launchpad.exe, awesomiumprocess.exe, and planetside2.exe added as exceptions in any Firewall/Anti-Virus software you currently are running in order to ensure that the game will run correctly with this kind of software running in the background.

Let me know if that helps.
  3. TheEvilBlight

Explain. This might be important...?
  4. TSR-Jesse S Customer Service

TheEvilBlight is right, if possible you'll want to make sure that PlanetSide 2 is installed on your internal drive, ideally in the C:\Users\Public\Sony Online Entertainment\Installed Games\PlanetSide 2\ directory.
  5. TomassoNL

Kimo, dont get your hopes up with this advice. If your game crashes every 10 to 30 minutes, its absolutely normal with win 64 bit.
    So far no working solution has been found by the comunity(I tried them all!) nor has SOE provided a single one. SOE will ask you a question like the above or ask you to provide your crash details, then they turn completely silent(in my case).

My advice:

Check the forum once in awhile to see if the community found a solution and run the game once in awhile to see if SOE might actually have solved something. Eventually it might work or you find an actually working game that you will enjoy, just dont get you hopes up with this one.

@ SOE:

I bet you are all hard working guys and get these kind of negative responses all the time which is very frustrating for you. I realise it's your management that allowed the early release of such a broken game and not you. For your sake I just hope it won't turn out to be a complete disaster for something that could be(have been) a great succes.
  6. GaussianGamer

Are you sure you upgraded? Normally Windows requires a clean installation from 32 bit to 64 bit, as well as a clean installation of all your applications, check THIS FAQ .

If you managed to perform an upgrade without reinstalling your applications, I wouldnt be suprised if many of your applications dont work. Heres a quote from Microsoft:

7. xDefianTx

Whenever installing windows, always do a clean install, especially when switching architectures.
    Try to do a clean new install of planetside 2 as well. (It can be on any partition)

Tomasso, I've got the game installed on 2 computers side by side, both 64 bit, and the one that I changed the useroptions.ini on crashes often, and everytime I close. But my wifes computer which hasn't been modified runs absolutely perfect. Wonder if that has anything to do with it,.
    • Up x 1
  8. TheEvilBlight

Upgrades can be nasty. They also take a long time.

Take note which applications you actually use, do a clean install, reinstall 'em. Things will run much more smoothly and you won't have to muck about tweaking and registry cleaning left and right. Unless there is some OEM stuff you want to preserve?
  9. KimoXeno

Thanks for the feedback guys, ill try and report back.
  10. KimoXeno

Soo, in order to do a clean install, I should uninstall, download again and play?
  11. QRLegion

Not sure that applies to everyone on Windows 7 64Bit, that's what I'm running and it doesn't crash that often, played solidly for 4 hours yesterday no problems.

I have noticed an fps drop if you play for long periods so I will usually log out & back in again to fix that, but otherwise it seems pretty stable to me.
  12. KimoXeno

and @TheEvilBlight, I installed it on my Portable 500 Gb Toshiba Hardrive on windows 32 then i upgraded to 64 with the same thing still on my hardrive, so maybe it's a 32 version, I'm not really sure. And @ Jesse , I don't think my antivirus or my firewall are the problem but if you don't mind, could you tell me how to check my firewall settings? and I'm pretty sure most applications can work on 64 bit windows and positive that its a clean install.
  13. Paulus

ok, so i get my head round it, you had a PC running windows 7 (32bit) and upgraded to Windows 7(64 bit). Whilst you had Windows 7 32bit installed, you downloaded and installed Planetside 2 onto a portable USB HDD. Now you have upgraded to WIndows 7 64, you are trying to plug your USB harddrive in and play Planetside 2? Correct so far?

Ok, so given i will assume the above is correct, your issue is thus. When you created the files on your portable drive, the install and executable references would have been created in your 32 bit operating system, which would NOT be transfered over when you installed the 64 bit version (different file structure as someone else mentioned). My other concern is how well the game would perform running off a portable device, you are asking a storage medium to perform like a main drive, thats not going to end well, as the interface card built into the caddy is not really meant for this kind of function. Copy your game files onto your main internal HDD, and tell it to download the game again from your original source (be that Steam or SoE) with any luck the game installer will recognise the files in the folder as PS2 game files and skip ahead on downloading those, and just carry out the install process, so it may only take an hour to get yourself up and running. Worst case scenario, it ignores the old files and overwrites them, but you loose nothing by trying.
  14. Mansen

Er... no it doesn't. You can upgrade the system just fine from 32 to 64. In fact you can upgrade 7 to 7 (of the same type). This is not even "news". People have been doing this since Vista came out.

The game is perfectly portable - it isn't overly dependent on registry files or appdata files of any kind. If they're missing, it creates them as needed. The switch from 32 to 64 may have scrambled some internal references though - I've only tried moving the game from 64 to 64 machines so far with no issues yet.
  15. GaussianGamer

Really? You should contact Microsoft then, not me ;)
    Quote From Microsoft:
    SOURCE

I think the problem is that even though Microsoft tells you that you need a clean install for proper functionality, that they irresponsibly made an installer that allows the erroneous upgrade anyway. Go figure.
  16. TheEvilBlight

Interesting. I've been using WIn7 Ultimate x64 without problems. There isn't a x64 version of PS2 as far as I can tell. I wonder if your issue may be related to the graphics card more than Windows itself...or directx, even.

Have you tried a clean-sweep+reinstall of your video card drivers?
  17. Mansen

Why should I contact Microsoft when the feature works just fine? That's like complaining that your waffle iron also happens to work as a fly swatter. It might not be officially supported as such but if it does, it does. :rolleyes:

And lets look at the technical side of why it works - The system is replaced - not upgraded (a misnomer to be sure). The only difference is that instead of formatting the harddrive, the file system and any user created files are kept intact as well as keeping any registry and appdata information intact and converting values as needed to the Wow6432Node area.

And lets be honest - Microsoft is known to be overly (ignore : to the point of catering to the ********) protective of people when it comes to making instructions - hell they have entire multipage articles that could be slimmed down to a single paragraph.
  18. KimoXeno

Ok Guys I got working doing what Paulus said, Thank you so much Paulus and all of you guys for your help. :)