I want a katana

Discussion in 'Infiltrator' started by Haku_Sama, Dec 4, 2012.

1. NDroid

Yeah, I'm gonna have to go with no on this one. But you can always play BLR for that-
    They actually introduced the damn thing, complete with ninja-running and a "lunge" ability that allows you to instakill anything in front of you.. and it's just as stupid as it sounds. I swear that game gets stranger every time I try it.
    Lets just keep it away from Planetside though.
  2. DragoValhar

I say yes, to swords, each faction would get their own variant. TR something slightly curved and possibly serrated. VS Plasma Katana. NC something blocky-ish, like a Machete. Infiltrators only and they could be balanced one of two ways either a limited number of one-hit kills before the edge would dull (we are all wearing armor after all) and after dulling it would function with the same power as a regular knife until you died or resupplied. Or you can only get a One-Hit kill from being cloaked. Which would also limit the number of kills you can get in a short time period.

I'd say have this take over one of our weapon slots as well, not sure if I'd rather sacrifice primary or secondary though.
  3. TheCF

I differentiate between "Sword" and "Katana".
    Because sure, whilst a katana basically is a light-weight sword, there's so much more to it than just being a light sword. The whole samurai honor, japanese swordsmasters folding it a thousand times and so on. It wouldn't quite be a katana to me if it was a light-weight mass-produced sword with some technothings on it.
    And also, why specifically a katana and not a sword? I can get behind a sword or some other close combat weapon. It's the fact that OP didn't ask for a main close-combat weapon instead of asking for a katana. Why not a rapier with some mag-cut techno in it instead?

I can get behind each faction having some sort of close combat weapon that fits them. But, a katana... please no, unless we get a wide array of close-combat weaponry... Which I wouldn't like either.

Edit: Note that I don't really actually have anything against katanas, I just don't know why they, of all weapons in the history would be so special do deserve to be the close combat weapon.
    Also, I think I might have reacted a tad bit stronger due to OPs username too...
    • Up x 1
  4. SGTTEMPEST

Take home message. Give us more than just a silly knife. There is a melee slot FFS.
    • Up x 1
  5. Tenebrae Aeterna

Yet we still use knives. :p

They're not really overly hyped... There have been many American shows that test the strength of these swords as well, and while they have a heavy association with Anime, they're quite possibly the best melee weapon crafted within reality. Not saying that they should be introduced into Planetside 2, but seriously...they would be an effective combat weapon, especially in a science fiction environment where they could be enhanced via technology.

Agreed with everything you just said.

I posted a thread a while back discussing how I think every faction should get themselves a larger melee weapon as a designated weapon, something they can get via certifications. A Katana wasn't amongst my choices though.
  6. vilehydra

They should add melee weapons in for inf, same damage, occupy primary slot, hit ARC instead of Hit dot , replaces knife, hit multiple targets in a swing, loud?

As a TR I would love a giant chainsword
    Im sure the VS would love a light plasma saber
    and the NC would have a mag cutter axe or something, maybe a jackhammer :p
  7. Daejin

FINALY! ANOTHER WHO SHARES MY FETISH!

Seriously. **** Space. **** Wars. **** the Hungry. Genetically Engineer me a goddamn Cat-Girl and I will die a happy man.

Hell, why can't we have multiple variants of the "human" species? Would make the world a much more interesting place.

That aside, without the ability to equip your knife and see it indefinitely, there'd be no point. A quick-draw katana would be amusing though...
    • Up x 1
  8. Emperor

Ha ha ha ha, NO.

[IMG]
  9. Vepo

/facepalm
  10. Metallideth

surprised not a lot mentioned light sabers:rolleyes: cause we all know VS would have them first
    • Up x 1
  11. Captain Sandwich

This is embarrassing.

What PS2 needs is an invisibl protiss sn-
  12. Tenebrae Aeterna

Saying "no" alone doesn't really prove a point, just states an opinion. I'm not saying that Katana's should be in Planetside 2, I'm simply saying that they're one of the best, if not the best, melee weapon created within reality. Lightweight, incredibly durable, and razor sharp...couple that with someone who knows how to actually use the weapon, and you have one hell of an adversary.

At the very least, it's better than the knife...and you can say "no" to that all you want, it's silly to do so though. That said, my preference towards melee weapon advancements would be a kukri machete for the NC, a traditional machete for the TR, and a longer bladed Karambit for the VS.
  13. Captain Sandwich

Haha. No.

Samurai swords are one of the ****tiest weapons ever. They are nearly useless against a properly, heavily armored foe. The only reason they require so much craftsmanship and hundreds of folds is because a half-***** katana would break almost instantly, not to mention the quality of iron produced in Japan during the era was pretty crappy. A half-***** broadsword will work just as well as a finely crafted one at chopping limbs off, and if it breaks in half it could still be used to bludgeon people to death.
  14. Tenebrae Aeterna

While this is a bit eh on videos, yeah...

Bit better.

The Katana and the Broadsword are pretty close, I've seen both cut through a cow husk bone and all. The Katana just does it faster, and requires a lot less strength.
  15. Novmiech

I'm all but positive you will get this sooner or later - either as a melee weapon or knife skin.

Lots of people would buy this, so SOE will make it.
  16. Shadowz

Just give me a claymore and a kilt.
    • Up x 1
  17. Emperor

"No" was the opinion. The gif was the point. The gif which you quoted. In your post. The post from you that I am now quoting.

That gif of the katana bending like a cheap plastic flea-market toy when swung against a broadsword. The "best melee weapon crafted in reality" bending at a 90 degree angle when hitting a superior weapon.

"Better than the knife" is also subjective. You notice that battlefields in the last few hundred years have still seen soldiers carrying knives, but very few with katanas, sabers, or anything of the like? There's a reason for that. In gameplay terms, the PS2 knife is a last-ditch weapon. You put a katana in this game and you're going to get infiltrators trying to go all bushido, swords drawn...rushing straight at people who have guns.
  18. DragoValhar

And they'll be shot dead in 2 seconds tops. Intelligent use of a more damaging melee weapon could be effective however. As for knife being a last ditch weapon, it only is because it's useless I guarantee you that if they gave infiltrators a knife that could one shot you'd get the same idiots. Only difference is with Swords it looks cooler. Hell if it weren't for the fact of how bad knifing is right now I'd use it as my infiltration weapon since it's all I got anyway.
  19. Emperor

The knife in this game isn't "useless," as evidenced by knife kills in this game. It's just pretty much a last-ditch weapon, or a 'humiliation' weapon for dispatching the unobservant.
  20. DragoValhar

Two strikes with the shortest distance, narrowest hitbox of any knife in any game I've ever played. When the enemy can jump forward turn around and kill you before you get close enough for the second attack. Useless.