I Feel Useless

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Odalric, Dec 3, 2012.

1. ChickenSpy

If you haven't already, join an organized Outfit. Download teamspeak. You don't need to kill to help your platoon out, but it helps if you can communicate. Even if you can just hear someone ask for assistance or know where to go to set up a perimeter, it helps quite a bit. For example, there's a huge difference between spotting a Sunderer with Q and verbally telling your squadmates that there is an incoming Sunderer from X direction.
  2. Llaf

Kill's arent everything in this game but I understand how you could feel useless not getting any, I sometimes do as well. My computer sucks but I love the game as you do. I mostly stick to playing my engineer and generally being as helpful as I can without trying to shoot anything when I'm playing infantry. Engineers and medics played strictly as a support class can make a hell of a difference in a fight, and can net you TONS of xp(I get LOTS and LOTS of xp dropping ammo for large groups of guys holed up on a ridge or behind a rock), and if you enjoy that sort of thing, you will feel very useful. I can't tell you how many times I've repaired someones anti-vehicle phalanx turret or tank or sunderer only to save it from the edge of death and have them get a kill, or dropped ammo for a heavy assault when he needed just one more rocket.
  3. Neodrauka

He has it. Just like the magician you need to be his left hand while they're all firing obliviously focused on his right.
    • Up x 1
  4. Faidwen

Why does this remind me of "moar dots moar dots"???
  5. Neodrauka

Because Onyxia has "Burned" us all at one time or another :(
    • Up x 1
  6. Nenarch

Just learn to stand back.. I always charge to the front myself.. i'm stupid that way, so I get basically flanked always when I solo. Trying to compensate that myself playing a lot on the sidelines not at the focus points when i'm solo.. so I don't run into multiple enemies in open area.
  7. Neelkanth

The bigger the battle the less significant any one player's role becomes.
  8. maxkeiser

Nobody is useless in this game. You can take the following roles:

- Medic.
    - Engineer.
    - Recon/scout/saboteur.
    - Tanker.
    - Troop transport (sunderer/galaxy).

All of the above bar 1 can be played without ever killing anyone at all.

Just keeping the turrets on a base repaired is a REALLY useful job. With turrets functional bases are easy to defend. Engineers are always needed.
  9. badname02

Actually if you play an engineer or medic efficiently I highly doubt you'll get more certs by just killing... Ammo packs load your xp, repairs load your xp, when defending then yes a turret can net quite some kills as well or used as cover. As a medic you can heal yourself, heal others and res which nets quite some xp and certs. Most people aren't actually that good at killing stuff... Remember 1:1 k\d IS the average K\D of any shooting game (duh, for every kill someone has to die...) so unless you can pull off 2:1 k\d ratio every battle at the least you're good to go as a medic or engineer or spend as much time on the deploy screen as that you're actually killing stuff.
  10. Vashyo

Well here's simple reasons why you're having a low K/D
    - reaction time is too slow
    - accuracy is horrible
    - game intelligence is low

Reaction time can be harder to attain, it's something that comes only with natural reflexes and how used you are to your K&B.

Accuracy comes as u play longer and learn to handle the guns, they tend to have slightly different handling characteristics.

Game Intelligence is something that requires creative thinking and knowledge of the game, lot of people seem to have very low amounts of it cause, time after time they throw themselves in High Risk-situations. Like running in open area with multiple enemies looking at you. Focus on hearing things, cause you can pretty much predict where enemies are just by hearing them fire their gun and vice versa, when you fire your gun, you need to expect someone to know where you are.

Shortest route is also not allways the smart one, many times you might be stuck inside building with enemy camping at hte front door. What you need to do at that situation is to go through backdoor and shoot him in the back or jump from the balcony on upper floor and get the drop on him. Tactical placement can give you great advantage.
  11. grapefruit hamster

If you happen to be on TR / Mattherson, my outfit would love to have ya. We're organized without being oppressive, and we don't judge people. You play what you want and you get to have fun. But since winning is fun, we will do a lot of it. :p
    I'm sure you could be helpful to us. Website is: zcompany.us; jump in our teamspeak sometime.
    • Up x 1
  12. Evilsooty

Engineers can rack up the points repairing tanks and turrets. I am always amazed how the zerg rolls through a base without repairing the turrets so it is defenceless when the inevitable counter-attack comes.

Also, if you are playing as an engineer make sure you unlock the shotgun (I have the Haymaker) . If you running around bases repairing generators and so on you will be close enough to be able to take on anything bar a Max and you don't need to be a great aim either.
  13. Sdragoner

Usual I have a 1.6 ratio but I am in the leader-boards at 200 and most of the time I just fly my Gunship and do nothing except for don't get shoot down for half an hour.

So go for engineer and build this guy up and build the sunderer up. You stay always there and you get much xp for protect the forward spawn.
    Or just do it how I do , take the Liberator and get drunk while you hovering.
    Shotguns really? The Vanu Shotgun I have tryed is the holly c***rap it self.
  14. Evilsooty

Yep, the Haymaker is a semi-automatic and I can go toe-to-toe with heavy assaults at close range. Of course you are useless at anything but very close ranges, but it is brilliant for indoor fighting. Don't know if Vanu have it; I'm TR.
  15. iller

+1

In Tribes... a much more skill based game than this one... I get 90 FPS and KDRs between 3-1 and a few that approached 20-1
    My FPS and KDR in this game? 10 frams, and 0.38 KDR .... feels bad man.
  16. Dhart

I've got a Silver Medal and close to a gold using BB to defend an area during a base near a capture point.(I can carry two at a time) XP is kinda slow and a full zerg will wipe me out; but there are still tons of Infiltrators and Engineers floating around that try to flip points solo... Quite a few of the capture areas only have two entry points... BB at each entrance.... then swap to Heavy and use my Hawk on Aircraft..

I believe I'm helping out... and contributing to the team effort. My k/d ratio is even worse than yours... .190; but placing BB and tank mines is something I can do... and defending a base, outpost, or Sunder is worthwhile even crucial in many engagements.

Don't let others set your expectations... and you won't be so frustrated.
  17. WUNDER8AR

I strongly recommend watching the whole series although it is about BF3. though these tutorials covers up a lot of fundamental tipps & tricks, which can be applied to pretty much any FPS. just ignore the parts which are BF3 specific, such as suppression or prone for instance
  18. D0n

Are you good at any other FPS games? good at vehicles? play with what seems to suit you best, the best way to get around is by moving with a cohesive group, join an outfit.

Also, buy a second arm for a max against infantry and play it in defensive mode (even though maxes are made to rush and break positions) that should give you some edge, spec as much as you can on max timer and the suits they have.

Another tip is to get a friend who is a good pilot and gun a liberator, that would rack you some kills.

Get a medic and spec on nanoweave armor, use your F key everytime you are to engage someone and support by ressurecting and healing, also spec on your F key for faster regen and cooldown.

Another thing is to always follow the zerg specially if they head to large caps, that will give you exp and give you more security.

Some easy tips for you.
  19. 3face

Be strategic to get more kills .
    Btw which server are you in? I dont think few lines will help u , u gonna need live action tuts!
    Dont worry about kdr i had like 140-280 now i m at 2400 740 , just need to get used to it.
    Inform us about your server,and live mic+gameplay is what you need!