Any settings that affect infantry render distance?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Uncle_Lou, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mansen

There isn't a hardline rule... it is changed dynamically to suit the number of players. This is why there have been stories of empty bases where there are in fact people everywhere - but the rendering has been set so far down that people can't see past shotgun range.

Don't be one yourself.
  2. Marinealver

I can understand the render distance decreasing,

What I cant understand is the effective range of your weapons being decreased by those render distances.

A weapon taht is good at 100 yards away should still be effective at 100 yards not 20 yards just because the rendering distnace gets reduced to 20 in a crowd.
  3. Zaik

When I say hardline, i mean it's applied to everyone equally and there is no way to change it. Meaning I can just put myself in a high unreachable position behind enemies opposite allies and freely kill said enemies who can see or ever get to me. It's not something that works everywhere, but anywhere it works it will always work.
  4. Bubblewrap2

Client-side hit detection. You are not allowed to damage what you cannot see in PS2 (even if you KNOW it is there).
    • Up x 1
  5. hostilechild

You also can not damage what can not see you. Sniping i some times shoot through targets. There "field of view" is different from mine, if i am not in it i can't damage them. (fair enough i guess but annoying).

I have an idea (maybe they are doing it now). I do not give a **** about the 100 friendly troops behind me. Or even the 100 friendly troops around me. I might need to know the location of those beside, in front ( i do not need to know their hp, etc unless i target them assume medic especially if have a heal icon on them. or my platoon is ok) but medics should be healing not fighting so for that class it could be more important to see friendly than enemy. I also don't give a *** about the enemy behind me, if i turn then send me the info or they shoot at me.

Even everquest back in the day was playable on modem with 300 people in an area due to tweeks like this. later they made it impossible to play on modem by adding too much info. Planetside 1 was remotely playable at 56k with <50 people around. Aion had 300vs300 fights and was fine maybe go ask them ;)
  6. Uncle_Lou

I'll say it again. I understand why and how it decreases. What I do not understand and am having an issue with is that it apparently is NOT the same for all players. In other words, the guy next to me can see enemies farther away than I can, and I want to know why.
  7. nukularZ

This issue is annoying. I've also been scoping in to distant targets with a 10X scope only to have them pop out of view. And I really hope this doesn't get worse with people around here suggesting optimization by culling enemies in the area.
  8. BlamTown

I'm noticing this but even with barely anybody around. There might be a base with only 10-15 guys fighting at, nobody else in sight.. I'll be an air unit but I'll have to get really really really close to the ground until infantry appears. In beta, this was never a problem.. if you could see a building, you could see every infantry unit around it too. My render distance is at the default, 999999.000000

Air units seem to suddenly appear too, that never happened in beta either. I could see them from milleeeess away.

I'm going to guess this was part of the optimizations, I haven't been following the patch notes so maybe it was in there somewhere...
  9. FightingFirst

They really need to sort the rendering out. Infantry should render at least double that of effective assault rifle range. As it is now in a large battle I might as well just use a shotgun. If they cant have that many players on one server without having to throttle the render distance when all the players meet up then they should turn down there ambition so the game becomes playable in large fights.
    FF
  10. Marinealver

I call wrong! You should be able to.
  11. Sdragoner

I dont get it why they do that, when you really close to the ground and fly 330 and ooohh shhh in front of you plop the ammunition tower for vehicles up and the rest of the base was loaded miles a go but only one thing plops always to late up the freaking damn ammunition tower.