Combat Medic Issues

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by Oliverquinn, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Oliverquinn

I'm overly in love with the Combat Medic class, it's <insert Gollum voice> my precious </insert Gollum voice> however there's a few things plaguing my mind;

1) Resurrection; I'm always in the heat of the battle getting dirty with the rest of my Terran Republic brothers but when I see someone drop my instinct kicks in and I pop a smoke near them and push to get them up. (Sometimes I run into the middle of the road or into a hot area to get my team mates out, I pop that resurrection (using a fully-upgraded medic gun) 1-2 seconds before they get that beautiful message "You are being revived by Oliverquinn. Accept/Decline" yet still 80% of the time they'll either decline or port away the second it finishes, leaving me with no experience and in the middle of a cluster of enemy fire.

There has to be some kind of justification for this, even if it's half the experience of a normal resurrection I'd be happy. Coming up empty handed after pulling some rambo-style action is really getting on my nerves.

TLDR; Give experience even if person being revived declines or teleport when it's over 3/4ths the way to revive.

2) Speed Boost; I feel at the moment while the class is still semi-fast I have issues catching up to heavies as well as light assaults when I'm attempting to heal them. I don't propose we get jet packets because that defeats the point of a light infantry member, but some type of speed boost that maybe when you've spotted an ally with low health it allows you to "dash" towards them increasing speed by 5-10% until they're healed and then it removes it. It won't need a cool down unless someone figures out a way to hop from player to player, but let's be honest that'd be both impressive and very unrealistic.

TLDR; Allowing medics to "dash" towards allies who need healing, guaranteeing they always catch up.

They're the only two issues I have at the moment, I love everything else about the class. Also my SABR-13 is a beautiful gun, I love being able to out damage and out maneuver even the best of the Vanu scum that appear on my screen with those lovely burst fires to the face.

Thanks for reading, opinions openly welcome!
  2. Darkian

Here's a better idea; A notification for players who are dead for two things.

First notification; A medic is within 100m of you. (This should be able to be seen on the minimap by giving all medics in the area a big + sign in their circle.

Second notification; You are being revived, please wait. (This happens when a medic starts to revive the player.

Another quick fix could be not forcing the player to go to the respawn screen RIGHT AFTER DEATH. If you let them hover above their corpse or something so they can see someone is reviving them, most people will wait.
    • Up x 4
  3. IshanDeston

Might i add:

3) Lack of goodies.

The way my Outfit started to operate (also because i am not on during peak hours), i really would like to see the "Combat" a bit expanded. Right now i am just a Medic.

I would like to see more Goodies. I would like to have the ability to place down Tankmines and not just C4. And i would like to get access to Flash, Smoke and Concussion Granades.

Also i would love to see more "Universal" options. In general i would love to see more toys, something that expands my use beyond healing. As i am not running around with a Zerg, i am finding myself more often than not being just a "light assault" without jump jets. My presence is critical, to heal and revive the team, but lets be honest, usually there isn't to much dying around me or healing to be done.
  4. Silrace

The only thing they need to add is an indicator for the player being revived which tells them how much percentage health they will have upon reviving.
    The times I play something else than medic and I get killed in an intense firefight where I know if I get revived with less than full health I will die instantly again, I am not going to accept a revive unless I know the revive brings me back in full health.

Speed boosts are not necessary either. Give it time. People will slowly learn when they have died in locations where they can expect a revive. If I have to run into a firefight to revive, knowing I will get shot to pieces, there is a good chance I won't rush in to do that revive, speed boost or not. Once people begin to understand when they are dead in positions the battle has shifted a bit from, they can just wait for the revive.

There is also the fact when you get revived you do not come back with full grenades, utility items and ammunition. If I need to replenish those (Claymores + Frag on my Engi, for example), I am not going to accept the revive no matter how much you try.

So while revives are needed and wonderful, there are situations where people do not want to be revived. Let us see how much health we have upon being revived, that is the only thing which I can see being kind of needed for the time being, though with enough time, even that is a moot point as everyone will have upgraded medic tool if they're playing a medic.
  5. ArenSteele

I would like the ability to drag a corpse to a safe place, then rez
    • Up x 3
  6. areopagia

I totally agree with Darkian; give people an updating message saying there's a medic "x" distance away so they can know if a medic is around and moving towards them. Silrace is right though, there are legitimate reasons why people don't want the res. But IshanDestan, you're just playing the game wrong. "usually there isn't to much dying around me or healing to be done." Seriously?? I can't relate to that at all. I'm always in the thick of things. And between underbarrel grenade launchers, smoke grenade launchers and shotguns, C4, plus a 6x scope and high velocity bullets on an assault rifle, you're quite powerful and versatile.
  7. Shockfrosted

The notification makes me think of healing and repairs. You know the one: "Being healed/repaired by: Name".
    Shouldn't be too much of a stretch to make that appear, it's the same tool as the healing message after all.
    Not as sophisticated as your suggestion, but I'd rather put my money on overextended devs going "Alrighty, let's copy and paste this bit to shut them up".
  8. IshanDeston

Yeah, very much. Sad thing is.. Everquest1 already had the ability to drag a corpse. I very much would love that ability.
  9. Trysaeder

Good idea, but the max level medtool has a much better range than what you could realistically reach with your arms. In effect, you're betting that your full shields and health can travel 2.5 metres and back with a corpse better than his no shields and full health can travel 4.5 in one direction.
  10. Just Me

I'm down with that, if and when you die and you know full well you will not be accepting a rez that you have something that you click at that instant that takes your corpse off the field of battle so I don't waist time getting to you and trying to rez ya and have you just disappear and I get nothing in return.
  11. ArenSteele

But then the guy I just rezzed will be dead again before his screen finishes loading. Maybe make it a squadmate only ability, but we should be able move corpses.
  12. IshanDeston

I had people die on me while they were hunkering in windows (and we don't need to adress how stupid that place to be is), or 2 steps outside the spawnroom shield. Or just around the corner, where a bunch of enemies have lined up their guns.

All those situations where you wish you could move them a yard or so, in order to rezz them and then have a teammate next to you again.

What good is a 4.5 meter healrange if he will just be mowed down? Yeah i get some exp, the enemy gets even more exp and the player i rezzed is annoyed. I actually am annoyed when a medic rezzes me and i die right away. I expect a Medic to think before (s)he gives the enemy free exp.

The dragging ability would have to be consentual with an option to always consent for Squad and Platoon (maybe even outfit), and it could be an alternate firing mode for the Medi gun. That way only Medics can do it. Maybe turn it into a cert. First level lets you drag a corpse in 1 meter distance. Costs 1 Cert point. 2nd Level increases the distance just like the standard healguns distance and goes in 50 cert steps. A tractor beam of sorts.
  13. Evilnox

I like the idea of not going right into the deploy screen when you die. I don't think you need to know how much health you are going to be ressed at though. People will get into the habit of only accepting resses from max rank tools and I don't think that would be fair for new medics.

I also liked the idea of getting some XP even if they don't take the res but I think a good 99% of people that I res do take it.

I feel the most important thing though would be that when you die, you can have a top view over your character so you know if you can even be in a situation to be ressed.

I decline Resses from other medics ALL THE TIME because I know how I died, I know how many allies were near me and I know that I have almost no chance of surviving if I am ressed. I only take it when I know things are going to be ok and that I won't have to rely on the other medic healing me ASAP before I take a stray bullet to the face.

I also get annoyed by the RES spam when I die and have no intention of taking a res. "level1medic" wants to res you... /decline "level1medic" wants to res you... /decline "medicjoebob" wants to res you... /decline .....STOP RESSING ME AND LET ME DEPLOY where my friends are RAWR!!!!
    • Up x 1
  14. BombrMan

2. Hold q on them and offer heals to get them to stop for you.
  15. videogamesaregames

The biggest problem with resurrections is that you have no way to know what level of resurrection the person resing you has.

As a result, I personally always decline them unless its someone I'm on voip with. I'm not going to accept a res at ~20% hp only to get murdered again instantly. There's zero reason for me to take that gamble. It's purely a waste of time for me.

The biggest problem with healing in this game is that it's more or less meaningless. A full health bar (not including shields) is 500 hp give or take a bit depending on what class you are. That's 2.5 bullets from a mag shot pistol. Some weapons like shotguns probably will just one shot regardless of you being at full health or not so really healing in that case is entirely meaningless.

The solution here is that survivability needs to be buffed across the board to make healing actually mean something. Letting medics heal shields wouldn't hurt, either.
    • Up x 1
  16. JimBob22

This is why people have been turning down revives lately, ran into the reason why a few days ago. Some idiot medics (3 at least) running around reviving people to 20% health...and then immediately moving on to revive someone else without finishing the job.

As a fairly dedicated medic (halfway to my level 6 tool) I got so sick of it that after several chat and proximity warnings...I just shot the next idiot who did it. Anyone who's just reviving like that and running off is giving medics a bad name and killing our business.

And yes, I waited til he revived, the guy stood up at 20% and then the medic took off before I shot him.
  17. iEatGlue

Allow us to stay at the death screen, before the deployment screen, requiring input to get to deploy screen (respawn timer starts when 'deploying'). Then show on the UI when someone is rez'n you... "Glu wants to resurrect you to 75% health."

Adjust max med gun cert (or add another level) to allow the medic to revive a soldier on the medic's position. I'd grind 1000 certs for it even if that's all it gave. Maybe it'll change the color of the beam as well for cool kid points.

Neither of those provide solutions to OP's problems because, to put it bluntly, those aren't really problems. No speed boost needed. If people want to run around like headless chickens, then I will gladly take the 75 xp for reviving them instead of 15 for the quick heal. We also don't need 'assist' xp for revives or the like. Being a competent medic in a heated infantry battle is already very lucrative.

It's hard to break that hive mentality that most players have.