Versatility! Loving it.

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by Sowahka, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Sowahka

As a player of all vehicles and classes (with the exception of the infiltrator!) I have to say that I love the engineer the most out of them all due to their versatility. Deployable cover, ammo kit, repair gun, AND landmines? Yes please. I'm also taking the Solstice SF for a burst fire mode and the ability to take on a smoke launcher, which I use to blind gunlines, or a grenade launcher which I use to take out the enemies that run behind cover. So. Much. Fun. Not to mention that in the event of having to spawn a vehicle I'm already equipped to service it.

Anyone else loving this class?
  2. Kophka

I'm a dedicated engineer, and I love it. Though you need to remember that you can only ever do 2 (two) things at once. You can replace your ammobox with mines, and your turret with ammobox, that's it. If I could do all three... that would be epic.

As it is, I've completely forgone mines. I'm a front-lines engineer, moving with the main thrust and keeping them supplied, while providing suppressive fire with my turret. I tried hanging around the back, but I found I missed the 500xp or so I get from a front-line ammobox. The endless chain of "10 xp resupply!" are just awesome. ;)
  3. Ironsand

Before you lay down an investment for smoke grenades, note that the graphical effects for smoke grenades on low graphic settings are currently borked.
    Players on low graphic settings don't get blinded at all by smoke 'nades. Hopefully this will get sorted down the line but as it stands, too many players play on low settings to get the advantage.
  4. Sowahka

I've found that they still help, though I've never set my own rig to low settings to see just how reduced the effect is. If I'm desperate I'll spam a well-defended bottleneck with smoke nades, which usually results in a big cluttered push that breaks it, everyone seems to just run into the smoke and just start spraying and chucking nades.

For a while I went pure combat engineer. It was awesome to have a resupply, medkit, and grenade launcher all in one tidy package. And once combat was over it was awesome to still be able to provide repairs and resupplies for extra exp whenever I had nothing else to do.
  5. Stiny

You can do all three. When you are holding the turret, press B to bring up the ammo box. Drop it and profit. If you can, assign this to a macro for extra win. While this version of the ammo box doesn't benefit from the ammo certs, it does last 3X longer than the default ammo box. I have carried at mines, turret and used the ammo box since beta days.
  6. GTGD

The engineer is easily the best class there is. There is always something they can be doing, they get access to a wide variety of weapons and equipment, and get tons of experience. I love being an engineer, can't wait to see what they will put in next.
  7. desktop

the engineer gets sticky grenades. they dont bounce off in random directions they are awesome.
  8. 8ob

Pro tip: pull out your turret, and press B....And magically you have an ammo box, so yes, you can use all three.

This is why i main engi as well. the versatility is amazing to me
  9. RobotNinja

Except that Turret Engis are instant Infiltrator/HA Rocket/Tank bait. Physically, their coverage isn't that great. Tactically, they're great for laying down suppressive fire though.
  10. Phoebus

He said cover, you're not supposed to actually sit in the turret.
  11. RobotNinja

Are you suggesting you duck behind a turret, as enemy rockets fly towards it?
  12. Phoebus

... What do you think you are doing sitting around outside? Feeding the enemy kills?
  13. SixVoltSamurai

You can, just press B.