Low FPS - Is it my system?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Lavenders2, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Oddzball

False

WTF, where did you get that information. That is completely and absolutely false.
  2. Bilbobaggins

Phenom I, 9850 (4x2.5 OC to 2.9)
    4GB DDR2-1066
    HD 4850

Everything on high except Lights, Shadows and Flora (medium). Resolution 1600x1050

I have about 30-40FPS most of the time, dropping down to about 25 in heavy scenes

I OC my Processor via multiplier
    OC my HT
    OC ram with HT
    OC 'sideport' (igfx) memory to keep up with gfx0 was a huge (the largest) overclock (going from like 200mhz to a 'red colored' 533) Disabling "Surround view" which causes the igfx to be listed as a second adapter.
    Voltage tweaking.

OC PCI-E via "AMD vision control Center", tested clocks, temperatures

Pulled out extrenuous hardware (USB3.0 PCI card, unused wireless card)

Besides my gfx card, my bottleneck is ram, as 4gb isn't enough,, if I'm planning on playing for a while, I'll disable windows services and programs to reduce ram usage until I can get it down to about 20% (from 30% untweaked)

I ran benchmarks changing questionable settings and used AMD overdrive to benchmark / tweak clocks (all true overclocking done in the bios) I went from a score of 4100 to 5300, processing wise.

This is a custom built computer which is now approaching 6 years old.
  3. Sobieski14

* (#) The very least you need a "I5 - Series processor", 8 GB DDR3 1600 , GTX400+
    - Why do you have Win 7 ultimate, 2 gigs of RAM os being used by the OS, thus you only have 2 gigs for gaming/etc.
    * Suggested parts.
    RAM : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314
    Processor : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072
    Graphics cards : If you really want to save, go for a GTX500 series otherwise go for the GTX600+ series
    Motherboard : Also varies to you price.

* (#) Are you surprised? I am honestly shocked people still use "dual-core processors".

* (#) There is a difference in running the game, and running it smoothly.
  4. Sobieski14

Amazing ain't it.
  5. McFly

How many years ago did you buy you PC? 5years? Your PC is plain **** compared to today's technology. You can expect to drop $2000 on a PC that lasts forever.
  6. McFly

really? 550ti with crappy CPU is complaining about performance?
  7. McFly

go for 660Ti. way better choice
  8. Sobieski14

You do realize you can get about 40% more performance if you overclock it slightly.
    * If you never wanted to "OC", why did you get the HAF X 942?
    * You didn't need a 1,200 watt psu, but that is your choice.
    * For the amount of money you spent, you really should have went with a Intel "I5 - I7" processor.
    - You want a reason why the game is getting bad FPS on your system, its the AMD processor.

Some benchmark tests of "Intel processors - AMD processors"
    Crysis 2 : http://techreport.com/review/22835/review-intel-core-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-processor/8
    Skyrim : http://techreport.com/review/22835/review-intel-core-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-processor/6
  9. McFly

This is where I find AMD cards weird. Why 5GB of memory when resolution isnt even 1080p.

(1) The low fps is partially your laptop and game. The game isnt optimized, for sure. But you can't expect yo run this kind of game with... that...
    (2) Dude, I don't think all laptop parts are "upgradable" so I suggest you getting a desktop. I will Write out my desktop Spec. I fit everything under $700 CAD, so its not expensive at all.
    (3) Point 2 answers this question
    (4) Um, you can't. Your CPU along is going to bottleneck you to death. There's no way you can change graphics settings to increase fps.

My Spec:
    i5 3570K @ 4.5Ghz
    Zalman 140mm (CNPS14X)
    GTX 660Ti OC @ 1110 Mhz Boost
    Corsair TX 750W
    Asrock z77 Extreme4
    HDD 1TB 7200 rpm 32MB Cache. (Did not go for SSD, I don't really get pissed off by loading screens)

That's about it. Boxing day is coming up, so stay tuned to NCIX & Newegg. Tigerdirect is **** so no point even checking there.
  10. Oddzball

Quoted for truth, the AMD 1100 x6 is a horrible CPU..
  11. Bilbobaggins

People often say, "laptops are not upgrade-able" but that's not true at all.

Even if you have an integrated card, you can sometimes replace the chip inside, provided the motherboard can handle a voltage difference.
    You can replace the CPU (same as the GPU above)-- note, before you start pulling things apart thermal paste won't work, you'll need somewhat thick thermal tape

A lot of laptops have "dedicated cards" which means they have a standard, mobile PCI-E slot - it's one of my deciding factors when buying laptops for myself or others.
    You can even replace the motherboard if the mounting points are the same, or, it it will fit in the case ;)

Having built several Frankenstein laptops and repaired tons of them, I think the hardest part to match up is the monitor-- different mounting brackets and points, different connector types..

I PS2 on my laptop with mostly low settings -it's runs fine and is fun to do when I'm on site waiting for something to complete (or at a friends house watching tv).

I'd rather have a gaming laptop than a gaming desktop.
  12. Oddzball

Its not 5gigs. Thats completely false. I have no idea why he said that.

The HD 6520G BARELY gets 30fps on LOW on games that are almost 3 years old, so i dont know what the OP was expecting with a brand new 2012 game.
  13. Oddzball

Notebook PCs are not upgradeable(For the GPU) unless you want to spend so much time and money that it would be cheaper to just go buy a desktop.

Add more ram? Sure easy. Better CPU, not exactly "easy but do-able" But upgrading the GPU in a notebook. Doubtful.

You cant just take a GPU chip and solder it to where the old GPU existed either. That's Bologna. And most gaming notebooks STILL come with the GPU soldered directly on the motherboard.
  14. Bilbobaggins

I can open a laptop in about 5 minutes, in such a manner that I can put it back together w/o more than 1 misplaced screw!

If you go on newegg, one of their sorting points for laptops is by dedicated vs integrated cards. If you buy a gaming laptop with integrated graphics, you're a dummy (I guess).

Searching your laptops chipset will usually yield results of people trying to upgrade parts. If you're lucky, there is a model of your laptop with a better GPU.

I've only come across one CPU which was soldered into the board, and it was on a netbook mobo masquerading as a desktop with the PCI slots welded shut.

In my experiences, integrated graphics and cpu are on the same heatsync and thus if you're replacing one, you can easily see the other, and though I've not often replaced GPU's, in newer (less than 4 years old) they never looked like they've been explicitly attached to the board like that computer I mentioned above. Though, it's not a habit to pull at every piece of hardware.

Besides building frankenstien laptops, and weird custom things (notebook in car with ups), i've upgraded several components on my laptop and would do the GPU if I had a replacement on hand-- but it's just not that important and instead of buying a $170 outdated chip, I'd rather put that toward a new computer.

My friend bought a gaming laptop when Fallout3 came out which put my desktop to shame.
  15. Zakuak

16. Oddzball

I build franken systems too. I made a computer inside an old NES recently.

Im just saying the odds of you finding a GPU (And yes even most dedicated Notebook GPUs are still soldered to the board) that would work with your notebook, and ebing able to upgrade it are probably a huge undertaking for 99.9% of people. Basically almost impossible.

Also "Crack the cups, chip the plates thats what bilbo baggins hates" Dang your nickname, it made me get that song stuck in my head.
  17. Sobieski14

Hold on there.
    * The I7-3770K is more than enough, it's also the processor that I just bought.
    - Yeah I am building my own rig as-well, due to the black friday/ cyber monday deals.
    * Get a decent "CPU cooler" and start "OC", reach around 4.2 - 4.5 ghz is safe, according to this "OC" guide.
    http://techreport.com/review/22835/review-intel-core-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-processor/16

Keep in mind, that you can have a bad-*** processor / RAM / Graphics card.
    * But do not cheap out on the motherboard,
    * If you really want to utilize the full power of your cards, your PCI-E slots should be 3.0, not to mention a Z77 chip-set motherboard.

As for the rig I am building.
    * HAF X 942 case
    * I7-3770K "stock 3.4" will "OC to 4.5+"
    * Cooler master hyper 212 evo - cpu cooler
    * Bought an extra fan for the cpu and the cable to support both fans.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

* 850 watt corsair psu
    * Asus Z77 Sabertooth motherboard
    - Overall great motherboard, but only 1 x PCI-E 3.0 slot, it also influenced me to get the GTX690.
    - Other wise with a 2 x GTX680 cards I would have to run the cards as "2 x PCI-E 2.0".
    * 16 GB G-skill DDR3 1866
    * 900 watt UPS
    - Not going to worry that my psu will be burned by a blackout.

* GTX 690
    - I was going to buy " 2 x GTX680s for SLI ", but in terms of power consumption, heat dissipation, and space for more airflow, and cost. It was cheaper to get the GTX 690. I'll lose about 2-5 FPS.
    * 2 x 1TB Barracudas 7200 RPM , will be running RAID 0.
    - Why not get an SSD? Meh, I'd wait for the size to get a little bigger and a bit cheaper, I don't really need a fast load time.
  18. Bilbobaggins

I'm not sure anything but professional rendering cards use more than x16 bandwidth. From the things I've read, 3.0 is a selling point of intel's patented technology. Maybe it matters in quad-sli mode?

I really dislike intel..
  19. Oddzball

It's for quad so they can split it up 4 ways.

Its purely a marketing scam.
  20. Zakuak

Yeah that's a good proc, the 3770 man handles all my software here at work and I run a lot of software simultaneously heh.

I have the Asus Z77 Sabertooth on this pc at work. Coolest looking mobo I have ever had lol.

hmmm well I see a lot better performance reviews coming form the Intel camp...maybe I'll do an early Xmas present for myself this year. A shame, the AMD setup at homes not even a year old but I guess I could put it to use in the living room.

Oooh yeah SSD.....God where do I even start...I have a love/hate relation with them. I have replaced several over the past 2 years, could have been just my "turn" for a bad luck run on them but it isn't fun when they don't work heh.