Offline Certs...

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Ruairi, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Ruairi

As a casual player, getting enough certs to get any weapon/ability is well beyond my reach. I make maybe 10-30 certs an hour and maybe get to play an hour or two every few days. I would subscribe, but +50% cert gain and 500SC a month is not worth it.
    I have money, I enjoy the game and I want to support it; but I'm not going to spend cash on microtransactions for a game I play infrequently. I might buy some vanity items now and then, but I won't be laying out cash just to expand my certifications.
    What I'd like to see is a cert system similar to that in EVE, where I can "train" into things and that takes time (things are queued up and it works in realtime). This would only be available for those that subscribe. That way, the hardcore gamers who have more time can earn their certs the normal way and play for free, and older people like me, with jobs and families can unlock items over time and help support the game financially.
  2. Tantal

Or you can just use money, you know since you have a job and all, to buy SC and use it to unlock the weapons you want. From then on the upgrades aren't that expensive and you'll get them sooner or later.

I find it hilarious how spending money for SC to unlock guns doesn't make sense to you, but spending money to passively get certs does.
  3. Ruairi

Um, lets do some maths. 500SC = $5. A gun/ability =750SC = $7.50. Now multiply that by the amount of abilities that I may want across all classes and vehicles and we get a sum total of 'are you frickin nutz?'
  4. Ravijn

One billion dollars?

/pinky to mouth
  5. VKhaun

See but that's entitlement. If you add up the same certs and compare them to the time it would take to earn them you get the same sum of 'are you frickin nutz?'. Cost is proportionally absurd to the grind.
  6. Tantal

Except that's wrong, because I'm not aware of any abilities that cost 750SC, or any SC at all. Upgrades/abilities generally cost less certs than weapons except for the multilevel ones where the upper levels are also costly.

Anyway, so you expect the passive certing to cost less than what the weapons cost in SC? Why would they even do that?
  7. Ruairi

It's hardly entitlement, just a reason to subscribe. I don't know if it's the same where you come from, I've never lived in the magical money forest where it rains money all day. But where I'm from, I gotta work to get money. My interest will soon wane if I feel that I'm being robbed because I don't have time/interest in grinding.

@Tantal
    I want a reason to sub. Currently there's just not enough incentive; I'm just stating what I'd want to regularly hand over the cash.
  8. Corb

Instead of spending the money to subscribe each month, just spend that on sc, grab the gear you want and then an xp boost. Every 250 exp you gain certs so boosting xp = more certs. And if you play infrequently you can just buy a few 1hour xp boosts or a 3 day depending upon your play style.

When it comes down to it, select your main class are you going to fly, use tanks, or be infantry(pick 2 classes, and favor the one you play most)? Focus on getting that maxed first then explore into the others when you have a solid class that you can use to aid in unlocking those other classes. You don't need all the weapons unlocked, it's just not necessary. Use the rent option (30 minute use for free), find the ones you like and that work for you, and focus on them. Use the rest of your monthly bought sc to get xp boosts for certs.

also, if you login once every 24 hours (takes all of 2-5 minutes once a day) you get a daily passive cert gain anyway. No different than logging into eve to swap up your skill queue.

Solution = done. With what you're suggesting, first off Hardcore...they probably sink money in (I know I do!). So by allowing ONLY subs to do the eve type training (because why not grab the extra advantage since I already put money in), you basically just widened the gap between my gains in game from daily play/researching while I'm at work and your researching and infrequent game play.