We need improvements for the flight controls.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by teweedo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. teweedo

Hello,

I'm playing the game since the Beta and while the game is great so far I have to say that we need improvements in the keybind department for aircraft. (The inverted flying controls are a nice addition though.)

One of the major issue left is :

We are only allowed to strafe with the keyboard and roll with the mouse when flying an aircraft. It needs to be made just like in Battlefield3 where you can set up the mouse to strafe instead of rolling from side to side.

It's an issue when we need to do quick and accurate adjustements to shot down a target.

This is my main concern.

This is a repost of a thread I made on another planetside2 forum which I thought was the official one.

Since it got some opinion / replies I am going to post the link here for those interested :

http://www.planetside2forum.com/threads/1585-We-need-improvements-for-the-flight-controls

That being said, I can fly just fine, like most games we can get used to it, however it severely cripple/limit the ability of good pilots to fly at their best. First and foremost this would allow for more flexibility in the gameplay, having the possiblity to custom your controls is a must in any FPS so it's kinda mind boggling that this change didn't occur yet. In addition it would simply put us on par with gamepad/joystick use.
    • Up x 1
  2. teweedo

^ What that have to do with anything dude?

It's about a shortcut, a keybind, the ability to custom our keys. It won't change your life, if you don't want to use it you can keep using the original keys. Not sure why you would say "no". That makes no sense.
  3. DCWarHound

I fly with a mouse and keyboard in BF3 and this is just fine for me,you just need to turn up the mouse sensitivity for aircraft.

Also i don't think any of the aircraft can strafe in PS2,i've always had to roll over and pull up to turn.
  4. Sentnl

ESF are not fighter jets, they are glorified helicopters, everything works fine.
  5. Skeem

Personally, I think it should be difficult to fly in PS2. I like the fact you have to learn it. I had a short practise at a warpgate last night.. ended up crashing, but I'll get the hang of it eventually.
  6. teweedo

What?

Aircraft can strafe in PS2, just like any other FPS including air vehicles.

I never said anything about the mouse sensitivity. And yes, I do play with a mouse and keyboard in BF3, in Arma 2, in SWG, or any other game which include air vehicles for that matter.

Who said anything worked wrong ?

Did you guys even read the OP ? I am asking to be able to change a keybind. Nothing more.
    Do you realize it's like the devs put the reload on "P" and I am asking if we could give us the possibility to custom that keybind on "R" and you guys are arguing we shouldn't because it works fine with "P" ? Yes, that's how silly it is to argue that we shouldn't be able to change a keybind.
  7. teweedo

And what I am saying have absolutely nothing to do with difficulty per se, it's just a keybind change. This affect the game in zero possible way. It's no different than asking to be able to custom "reload" on another button.
  8. OmNomNom

I support the idea for changing the flight controls.

I'd prefer to roll with A and S instead of the mouse. When I aim with the mouse like I always do I don't hit stuff but do lots of barrel rolls....

Oh well, I'm an awful pilot anyway. Since my aiming is thaat bad I just ram the enemy and toss them into walls and such..
  9. HappyZaps

It looks like you got some replies from people who don't understand what you're saying.

All he's talking about is controlling both yaw and roll with the mouse. Currently yaw is only on the keyboard.

I haven't played Battlefield but in World of Warplanes they have both on the mouse. Personally I couldn't stand it but I'm a joystick jock anyway.
    • Up x 1
  10. Xaragoth

All I really want is the ability to turn off my engine completly, so that when I fly up, I can fall back down and get behind people!
  11. teweedo

Exactly, that's all I'm asking.

And yes, I am a bit confused by their replies, I thought the OP was clear enough since people understood it fine in the other forum. I guess I should have made it shorter/clearer.
  12. DCWarHound

I fully understand what he said,i still don't think aircraft can yaw in PS2.In BF3 i use the mouse to pull up and down as well as roll left and right,W and S are used for acceleration and deceleration and A and D are used for Yaw.I also had pulling up and down as well as rolling set up on my arrow keys (pull up and down inverted) in case my mouse was fully pulled down and i wouldn't have enough time to get it at the top to pull up anymore.
  13. HappyZaps

Response to the yaw input in this game isn't a rotation about the axis, like an airplane, but a strafe. And that is something they certainly, absolutely do in PS2. I don't even understand how you could say otherwise. Zero out the roll and apply input to the yaw control. Note the movement of the aircraft on the left/right axis.

Regardless, all he wants is the option for both axes on the mouse.
    • Up x 1
  14. Sentnl

Who said I was talking to anyone specific?

I have no idea why anyone would want roll on A, D... That would just **** your acrobatics imo. imo.
  15. teweedo

Well, they can, as HappyZaps pointed out.

And I only mentionned BF3 because it's a game a lot of people have played so I thought they would understand better what I am asking since it (just like a load of others FPS) allow you to custom your keybinds the way you want. My argument has nothing to do with BF3, it was only an example out of a thousand.

BTW, in the BETA we were not even able to custom a single keybind for the aircraft, it was changed the way it is right now a couple hours before the launch of the game. I'm glad they did but we just need a couple more keybinds.
  16. Bambi

when I press a and d it certainly seems like a yaw to me.
  17. teweedo

Well, you replied to this thread, what's the point of your reply if you aren't talking about the OP ?

And I am sure you have no idea why anyone would want to reload on "C" or "X" or "V" or whatever they like, because that's not how you play. What matters is that people feel more comfortable one way or the other, thus it makes sense to give them the same possibility that makes you comfortable playing the way you like.
  18. Bambi

There are two ways to handle flight controls that make sense, there's "FPS" wherein pitch and yaw are bound to the mouse, just like in infantry mode. And roll is then necessarily handled on the keyboard. And there's the traditional "plane" controls, where you move the stick or mouse toward the direction you want the plane to tilt. The default setup is an inverted plane which is ********.

Additionally, these are not planes, and they are not swashplate helicopters, so a plane control does not make much sense for them.
  19. teweedo

I am not certain what you're arguing exactly.

There's not necessarily "two ways" to do it, you don't have to force the player to use the binds one way or another, you can give them the option to do both and use whatever they like.

On a side note, you can also control helicopters with strafe/yaw on the mouse and roll on the keyboard in many other games. Which is what I do. So really, this would be a non-issue. I am only asking for more custom, not for a keybind definitive change that would effect those who wants to keep the default controls.

EDIT : I apologize if my reply isn't appropriate, I think I misunderstood you, after reading your reply again I'm pretty sure you're only saying you'd like to be able to change the default controls in PS2. Right ?
  20. Bambi

Two that make sense. As in have a logical basis. In one you are steering the nose, in the other you are tilting the plane. If you tilt the pitch and steer the yaw what is that? You can get used to it but it doesn't make sense.