Drivers - Don't be That Guy.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Flinger, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Flinger

Just who is That Guy?

That Guy is the one driving the tank or Sunderer or flying the Liberator or Galaxy around with empty seats.
    That Guy is the one that squad locks his vehicle, when there are empty seats.

Why would you do such a thing? If you've got empty seats, give a guy a lift! You're not paying for gas... it don't cost you anything more to let friendly troops ride with you... It's not like the enemy can hop in with you, only friendlies allowed by default. And if you've got an empty gunner seat... you don't have the common sense to be playing an online game. Would you walk into the OK Corral with an empty revolver? That Guy would.

Think about it... you're rolling along in your bus or tank all by yourself, being That Guy. Some misguided fool from another faction decides that you're the next victim of his Lightning. If you don't have your gunners seat filled, you're basically dead. Serves you right for being That Guy. I'm cheering for the misguided fool.

I can't count the number of kills I've gotten while riding "shotgun" in a bus or tank simply because a driver slowed down long enough for me to jump in the gunners seat. Do yourselves a favor... don't be That Guy. The soldier that you allow to ride along might be the one that takes out the tank that finds you.

A side note: Upgrade your vehicle weapons! You don't have to buy expensive guns... just increase the ammo capacity and maybe add some optics. After all... the gunner is trying to keep your ride alive. You want him using a weapon that can do the job, right?

And before you trolls jump on me saying "Get your own ride". I drive a Sunderer a lot. If I'm looking for a ride, it's because it's been less than 15 minutes since mine got blown up. I never squad lock my bus, and both guns are upgraded to 750 rounds and 2x optics.
    • Up x 1
  2. Trysaeder

This. It costs 4 certs in total to add 100 reserve ammunition and a 1.25x zoom to both of your sunderer basilisks. Do it.

Also a sunderer with 2 basilisks can beat a single man MBT at close range.
  3. psychobilly

Because people without outfits tend to be very stupid. I don't want some random firing my sundy guns at an aircraft 2 miles away, attracting attention where I don't want it. I'm trying to sneak the sundy in without it getting blown up.

Solution: Allow me to squad lock the gunner seats, while leaving the rest of the vehicle open.
    • Up x 3
  4. gunshooter

If I had a good secondary for my prowler I wouldn't let random people get in. Most of them seem to waste all of their ammo immediately taking potshots at aircraft.

If I had the 80mm rocket or something, they'd be wasting ammo that I actually needed.
  5. AlesTwo

The average gunner inside my vehicles isn't able to score a single kill, that is why I usually do not care whether or not these seats are free. I don't lock them though, but whats the point of waiting for someone wasting ammo in the infantry-turret of my Mag if I score 10x more infantry kills with the front gun?
  6. Xale

You realize a lot of us squad lock our vehicles because most people have no concept of stealth and when it is and is not appropriate to fire.

Too often you end up with idiots that'll shoot at literally anything thats red, regardless of whether or not they can actually do anything to the target. This attracts unwarranted attention and can completely botch a lot of approaches.

Most of our trusted gunners will not fire except when its opportune to do so - allowing us to get a superior position and inflicting vastly superior damage.
  7. Flinger

I'd rather have an option to kick by seat than lock the gunner seats. Get rid of the squad/platoon lock all together and add code so that a squadie has priority seating. Got a full bus with 2 non-squadies and a squadie wants a ride? Then a non-squadie gets auto-kicked. Got a non-squadie in a gunners seat that a squadie wants? Then the game shouldn't ask you to switch, it should be forced. The game should only ask for a switch if it is 2 squadies or 2 non-squadies that want the same seat.
  8. Shellite

In my sundy I don't need the unnecessary attention when trying to sneak it into a strategic and safe location to deploy. If a passenger starts firing the turret for no reason I immediately lock the vehicle and leave them behind.

Same reason when deployed the sundy remains locked, those turrets are nothing but a rocket magnet.
  9. Xale

You already do.
  10. Flarestar

This.
  11. RF404

Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Locking a vehicle to squad/platoon only and leaving half full when there's still team mates around who needs a ride is beyond stupid and absolutely pointless.

I'd almost dare to say that it is almost as stupid as outfits who regularly play in outfit-only platoon, even if they're only half full. Make them open to the public even if you're not recruiting. It's not like it is going to hurt you. The randomers will get a chance to see how the game is meant to be played and you get a chance to muster up even more fire power for your operations.

So platoon leaders; don't be That Guy!
  12. Flinger

What's the point? Simple... while you're focused on that doorway waiting for some faction-challenged fool to poke his head out, you don't notice the HA with the rocket that snuck out the back door and is about to ruin your day from behind a rock. Your turret gunner is there to take him out. Maybe the turret gunner only gets one kill to your ten... but that one kill is the guy that you didn't see because you had your eyes on the road. Yes, some turret gunners are dimwits that shouldn't be allowed to play with sharp objects, but the advantages of having that extra gun active far out weigh the hindrances.
  13. Navoc

If chat functions were simplified to were everyone knew the chat commands more people would be asking for a lift rather than shooting at their empires tanks and such getting grief points. Maybe a voice macro should be added. "Hey, can I get a lift?"
  14. ron1n

Ok deal. I won't be 'That Guy' if the people jumping into my Sundy promise not to be That Guy

And just who is That Guy?

That Guy, is the idiot shooting at nothing constantly so that we are are out of ammo when we actually need it.
    That Guy, is the moron shooting at far off liberators or fighters which take notice and then come rocketpod me.
    That Guy, is one of the brain dead randoms that hop into my sundy, and cannot hit infantry at point blank range with a bulldog.

I lock my Sunderer not because I'm 'That Guy', but because I would actually like to make the most of the 400 mechanized resources I spent on my truck.
    • Up x 2
  15. Xale

The fact that you don't realize that they in fact can (and do) hurt you amply demonstrates your lack of experience.

I've lost count the amount of times that other people firing and bringing attention to our position has gotten me and my squad killed. Not only in this game and its predecessor, but other series too.
    Factually wrong. The word you are looking for is "most".

I have no intention of ferrying stupid players around just so they can then get us killed. If I believe they can inflict no harm they'll be bought along. If I do believe they can interfere with my job, then I will not. Its really that simple.

Stop being That Guy getting us killed, and then maybe I'll stop being the one locking you out of my vehicle.

Never mind that most of the time such a vehicle already has reserved passengers - I simply need to get to them.
    • Up x 1
  16. Evilnox

Speaking of SQUAD locking your vehicle....How do you do that?

Also is there a way to kick people out of your vehicle? At the risk of sounding selfish. Several of my friends play and we all roll together. It sucks when a few people jump into the gunner spots that we all would rather one of us be in. Is there a way for the sunderer owner to kick them out so that one of us (friends) can get in isntead?

We have no problem having more people with us when we go into battle but we also don't want to risk someone DERPING on the gunner seat.

maybe we could squad lock it until we fill the gunner spots then open it back up? How would one do that?
  17. Daedrick

I squad lock because Im heading to a landing zone where my squad is waiting for me.

I squad lock at the warpgate because kids enter my galaxy to fire not stop my gun effectively wasting me more time re-arming.

I squad lock because kids are terrible shot with my galaxy guns compared to my squad mates.

I squad lock so we dont bring along a ****** constantly asking where we are going and requesting other drop zones.

I squad lock because bringing in a mic spammer is pretty annoying.

I squad lock because most players in this game are complete morons.
    • Up x 1
  18. RF404

I do know that they can hurt you, but the majority won't. Simply kick the ones that show an erratic behaviour and a new more levelheaded player is likely to his place. You'll have full and sound platoon in no time. The advantage that you stand to gain from having more manpower is greater than the disadvantage you'll get from having occasional erratic behaviour. In fact most of the people who would act erratic won't even be in your vicinity or even on the same continent, so they can easily be spotted long before they can join up with your ranks and do any harm.
    • Up x 1
  19. Hadrian

had a few *******'s squadlocking their sundys in the middle of nowhere and booting you out lately, yeah its not that funny kid , /suicide and im closer to the objective than you are , but you are still a dick .
  20. Aghar30

its actually hilarious, cause im not trying to push any objective, just get the pubbies away from my damn platoon so they dont **** it up