PS community - Ignorant

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by TintaBux, Nov 28, 2012.

1. TintaBux

Hello,

I'm new to PS, and upon my first days I've seen many people call for help on servers just general questions from new players to PS, but everyone gets ignored. I have been frustrated by this. I ask kindly simple newbie questions only to get ignored or told to fu ck off, when I really need an answer to the questions to be able to play the game to its full potential.

I've had the game a few days and am yet to see anyone answer any of my questions or the massive amount of other questions from new players, instead everyone just gets blanked, I answer others asking question albeit half the time I don't know what I'm talking about as I'm still learning the interface and all the features in the game.

The last examples where, I was in a squad and the leader said if you don't follow squad you will be kicked, so I asked out loud how do I deploy on the squad to be able to stay with you etc, but nothing, I asked three times all but again no one was interested. In the end I figured out how to deploy on the squad leader (and to the deploy point after) But it was frustrating with all the people on the server nobody cared to make a simple answer, and that's the case with 90% of the cases where a new player is learning the game, they get ignored.

My point is, it's not very friendly overall for new players and it makes it frustrating with the ignorance you get in this community. Maybe there is another server or two that is more friendly but I'd expect a little help as you get it in all other games. The overall interface if your new to PS etc can take a bit of getting use to, so it would be nice if people was actually friendly sometimes.
  2. ShadowViper

Sorry to hear that. Any questions you have right now?
  3. AtomicGerman

Its fairly hard to answer questions while in combat. And people able to answer it might not be in your region. Calling us ALL ignorant is a massive generalization you should seriously avoid. You already begun burning your bridges by doing so.

[IMG]

That said, ask for help on the forums, nicer people here.
  4. RobotNinja

I recommend you play on your own for a bit to get a feel for the game. Also do some reading up on the forums and check out the tutorial videos as well. People can't always stop to answer your questions in the middle of a heated battle. Also, a lot of players are in teamspeak/vent channels and generally ignore pretty much anything going on in text chat and instead chat with their teammates on voice.

When you're ready to join a squad or platoon, try and see if you can find one that says newbs welcome, training or something to that effect. Also, the best place to ask questions in-game is probably the warpgate. It doesn't mean you'll always get an answer but you're more likely to get an answer there than you are in the middle of a heated battle.

You can post here on the forums if you have other questions but if you use the search function it's likely someone has already asked the same question and someone else has answered it.
  5. Steinsuppe

I think that the kind of people that would answer your question is simply not noticing the chat. There should be a New player chat channel, why the devs hasnt implemented this is beyond me.

You and the other new players should search for the information you need first, if you cant find it after 5 minutes of looking you can ask. Two weeks ago it was hard to find information / guides, now its abundant.

The only thing im having issues finding myself is detailed numbers on certs, probably because they are not made available by the people that dig deep into gamefiles / databases to find the numbers yet.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside is quite active.

Join a new player friendly outfit.

TL;DR: Community is not ignorant, your own fault.
  6. Tikayyan

Totally agree with this. I played PS1 for half a decade and it was the same there, but in reality it's the same with most FPS games. The community just isn't helpful because we're a community of male lions who all just want to roar louder than anyone else.

What the game really needs is a dedicated noob chat channel. I've seen quite a few MMOs with those and they seem to genuinely work because the only people who want to bother with them are the ones who get something out of helping noobs, and noobs who need help. Win-win.

Edit* OK, strange word filtering. The ****'d work was one that indicates a new player. One that is later in the paragraph unfiltered when you put an "s" on the end of it? *End edit
  7. Udnknome

USE THE IN GAME VOICE COMMS> For newbies... that "4" on your NumPad.

If you don't have a mic, invest in one. If you plan on spending any amount of time in this game, you will need to get on team speak eventually. A good one might run you $15 dollars at Walmart. I've seen cheaper ones, but they simply fall apart after about a week of use.

People are generally friendlier and can react faster to this due to widespread team speak use.
  8. Envenom

Watch the tutorials.....
  9. Freyar

A lot of people ignore chat channels that aren't Region and aren't ORDERS. Forums are the best place to ask since almost everyone will be busy doing something at the time.

That said, I do try and help where I can.
  10. renegadeknight

i usually answer questions if I see them, and then die horribly because I did.
  11. sladuog

You get to a point where you just can't be bothered telling people the stuff they can find out for themselves in like 10 seconds on google or reddit or the forums using the search function, or even the bloody keybindings list.

You're also using the word "ignorance" incorrectly. As homework to get you started on the lifelong task of figuring things out for yourself instead of relying on others to spoon-feed you information that they must have learned somewhere else, go and look up what it really means. For extra credit, find a word that does mean what you think ignorance means, and remember to use that in future.
  12. TintaBux

13. Sturmhardt

As soon as the action and explosions start I totally forget to look at the chat window :/
  14. bPostal

Try PSU, barring that, try finding an outfit. The game doesn't even begin to get good until you do.
  15. MobileAssaultDuck

9/10 times, if you type your question into Google, you'll find the answer.

This applies to nearly every aspect of modern life.

My friends think I'm a computer god because I cut and paste their error messages into Google.
  16. TintaBux

Making excuses oh go to google and whatever don't help the problem here, those are obvious, when asked in game there should be answers, just a normal thing in nicer communities. It don't help with the problem the PS community gets a reputation for being ignorant for either, sometimes questions there is not much going in chat other times guys are talking allot in chat (Pro's to) so that neglects that oh in battle no one can chat excuse.

For the rest read below.

Don't get me wrong, not saying all you are ignorant as know thats not he case, but the general feeling for new players is that most of the PS community is when all we doing is trying to learn to play the game to it's full potential.

I appreciate some of the comments by some and will take your advise on board. Regarding its the same in other FPS game, I don't find that to be true, as or though communities like BF & COD are poor in terms of being mature, most of the time someone will answer your question when asked in game, plus the interfaces are much easier to use for newer players.

PS is a bit new to allot of us so you should help new players when asked especially in game. New players generally get ignored in squads as well. I've noticed I'll play the team game and heal / fix guys with support and anything for the squad, but when I call for medic theres two there that ignore you and walk away, then a next squad member runs you over. It's often very "clicky" and outsiders (Mainly new guys) are looked down on and treated poorly.

I know it's not the case with everyone so am not saying everyone is like that, as I know there is good guys here, I probably just need to find the right group of friendly guys which I know will be on here, so any advise as to which server and whatever else is good for that I'd appreciate being recommended.

I love playing in a team and everyone helping each other, for me it's all about team work and working together. When I got ignored and finally found the squad it was like I entered a whole new game,. SureI was being treated as an outsider to most of the team, but I still enjoyed it as the team work with the others looked good and I could follow them / help them where needs be. The battles there are much better also, more tactical. It's often hard to find this as sometimes I don't find it that easy to get where the proper battles are.

Generally I know how to play in general, it's just the interface I'm still learning, with the upgrades, weapon changing, even in the in game chat, but I'll ask on the forum now for that.

I look forward to meeting some of you in game and whatever else.