Can we **please** get some word on joystick support/fixes?!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by AbortedMan, Nov 28, 2012.

1. AbortedMan

Flying and aerial combat being such a big draw of this game...why isn't there much support for joysticks?!

I just installed Windows 8 and realized that my Logitech G940 that works fine in all my other games isn't even detected by Planetside 2...seriously?

When it was working in Windows 7, it was horrible, so horrible that I actually resorted to binding my joystick to mouse input via a third party program...I remember my friend told me Higby (or some other lead dev) tweeted about using force feedback and the G940 flight system and being excited to see it in game. Was that just to hype the masses in something that will never come?

Can we at least get a roadmap or a concept of what the pipeline for the near future looks like regarding the joystick features so I can know when to expect some satisfaction for the funds I put in?
    • Up x 2
  2. minus10

I'll second this. I'd be happy if they said they were going to fix the problem with USB devices and the game crashing on startup. Yes you can use a third party dll to fix it, but as the sticky says above, you shouldn't or face a ban. Given it's a known issue, with a fix that seems clear, what it eh problem here?

A game with this level of fault (a crash on startup) on such a basic thing (a USB stick being plugged in) on a major OS (Win 8) is surprising to say the least.
  3. Hansenfransen

also it would be nice if i could use my 360 Controller.... the game crashes if its plugged in with win 8
  4. Stringz

For those having issues with Windows 8 and joysticks, I found getting DINPUT8.DLL (a Direct X 9/8? file) from a Windows 7 box and dropping it into the Planetside 2 folder should solve the problem.

The joystick issue needs fixing Sony. It seems that they tried to tie keyboard commands to joystick axis instead of properly reading the joystick axis position within the range and (0-100) and acting accordingly.
  5. Knocky

Would be nice to hear something.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheScapegoat

Did this and my Logitech Joy works no problems at all.
  7. MaddBomber

It is frustrating. I had to do the DLL trick too to get it from crashing. In addition it does not read the full range of axis. As an example, if I go to full speed, and then throttle down to min, I will hover, because it thinks I'm holding down the throttle down key. I then have to hit the actual keybind for throttle down to get me to land.

Also, when you use the keyboard for anything, you can't use that on the joystick until you get it to reset. As an example, if I fly full speed, then hit the throttle down on keyboard to go just a little slower, the throttle down on joystick will no longer work unless I go full speed again and then throttle down.

Another issue is with the HAT on the joystick. If I set it to keybinds it works just fine, but when set to joystick it only goes 1 direction. So if I set N, S, E, W to look out the cockpit I can only hit N once, S Once and that is it. Lame.
  8. rlilewis

YES!!!

My xbox controller doesn't crash the game but as far as I can tell there isn't proper support for it. You cannot effectively use the analog sticks for steering because it will only accept EXACT inputs, so if you have "pitch up" set to left analogue down it will only accept DOWN EXACTLY, if you so much as get a diagonal on there it just DOESN'T RESPOND!!!

Maybe I need to check the settings again but it seems you have to manually bind direction keys... WHY!? It defeats the whole point of analogue controls!
  9. Stringz

That's because Sony didn't put joystick support in. They tried to map keyboard commands to joystick inputs rather than reading the axis ranges and joystick position within the range.
  10. Flarestar

I'm... confused. If that statement was true, I wouldn't be able to control my rate of pitch, yaw, and roll with my joystick. But I can. If it was mapped strictly to keyboard commands I'd move at a set speed as soon as my joystick moved out of the neutral position.

I'm assuming this is an issue with specific devices/operating systems, not an issue with the game as a whole. I'm using a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, for reference. Worked right off the bat just as I expect a joystick to work in any flight game, I just had to tell it which axis was for which movement.
  11. Rigsta

It's coming. They just couldn't get it finished in time for release. Too busy making the core aspects release-ready, I expect.
  12. Trof

Smedley did state in a interview that proper joy stick support is coming, he is a big flyer fan...
  13. RynoManiac

Be careful about using third party programs and sony games.

Got my account banned from a few for using xpadder + 360 controller.

They told me "tough luck".

I had got my thrustmaster to work mildly successful on PS2 with the help of third party apps, but then remembered it's SOE, and I decided to wait for them to add support.
  14. Stringz

For your same joystick:

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...fly-using-a-joystick-after-patch.47610/page-3

15. Flarestar

Dunno what to say. I'm not having any of those issues except for the dead zone problem, and adjusting the in-game setting did fix that issue for me.

I did notice that the first guy mentioned he has the LGS software running though. I don't. I'm just using the default driver that Windows loads when you first plug it in.
  16. bigtola

I have a Logitec 3d pro and for the most part, it works ok but for most ppl I see there is a problem with Joystick Sensitivity. I tried this fix from utube and it does work but there are some things to remember. First move the sliders all the way to the left for dead zone and
    Joystick Sensitivity. Get out of the game and do the fix, mine looks like this----
    [General]
    AutoDetectPerformanceSettings=0
    MouseSensitivity=0.160000
    ZoomToggle=1
    SprintToggle=1
    JoystickSensitivity=0.700000
    JoystickDeadzone=0.020000
    VehicleMouseSensitivity=0.000000
    FlightMouseSensitivity=0.000000
    ScopedMouseSensitivity=0.200000
    DrawHud=1
    MouseRawInput=1
    ReduceInputLag=1

When this is done, do not move the sliders in the settings or it will go back to default. After doing this, I was able to fly with little trouble but I did lose fast reaction in the controls. You can change the numbers as you see fit, just the dead zone and JoystickSensitivity, leave the rest alone.
    My suggestion to Sony is to have a bigger spread in the adjustment zone on these areas to help with the jerkiness from over Sensitivity.
    Go here for fix-------------------------------

I hope this helps some of you..............
  17. AbortedMan

I've tried the direct8.dll fix, which fixed the crashing upon starting the game, but PS2 is still not reading my joystick while running under Windows 8.

Also, I noticed when running the game in Windows 7, PS2 would only detect one joystick and one joystick only...whichever device is labeled as ID1 (Gamepad_0 in-game). The Logitech G940's pedals and throttle are seen by Windows as two separate devices aside from the joystick. This leaves the pedals and throttle undetectable by Planetside 2.

I fear this is as good as it's going to get in regards to joystick use. I remember Battlefield 3 following the exact same footsteps; horrible sensitivity controls, only detecting one joystick, devs promising proper joystick support and never delivering...

...I'mma scared.
  18. Diplocaulus

I've got a Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox 2 Pro USB joystick running under Windows 7 and I never could get it to work reliably with PlanetsSide 2, the problem being that whenever I spawned an aircraft there was an approximately 1 in 5 chance of the joystick input wigging out making the aircraft spin out of control and into the ground. (The Thrustmaster works fine with other games.)

Thankfully I discovered that the aircraft in PlanetSide 2 are much easier to control with mouse and keyboard anyway.
  19. Clay Pigeon

Windows 8? I didn't know they made tablets powerful enough to play this game.
  20. Gamedrummer

AbortedMan, I also own a Logitech G940, and I understand your issue with each device being registered individually. I've been looking online and tinkering with the device to see what works. Now I haven't personally tried this yet, because I only just read about it the other day (http://forums.logitech.com/t5/PC-Ga...em-G940-How-to-set-it-up-Tutorial/td-p/702946), but this guide states
    so see if that might have the same affect with PlanetSide 2.

If not, another guide I found (sorry, can't recall the URL) was stating that Battlefield 3 has the same issue, but is corrected by uninstalling the current drivers, and the Logitech Profiler and then having Windows install the drivers from its own library, the Logitech G940 at that point will not be treated as three separate devices but one device, so that solves the in-game issue, but if I remember correctly they stated there were some sensitivity issues and/or response time issues.

Quick tangent, but Joomba stated in the thread, "Best Joystick for Flight Mechanics" (http://www.planetside-universe.com/showthread.php?postid=823565),
    , I am assuming this to be true since in the Q&A (http://www.planetside-universe.com/p...dit-qa-107.htm) Higby states,
    Now if he is actually using the Logitech G940 with PlanetSide 2 that would mean he either has a Logitech Profile configured for the game, or has a viable work-around that can be explained. Someone should contact him to see if he can or will explain how his Logitech G940 is configured to work with PlanetSide 2.

Hopefully I provided some useful information to this thread.